Wren canoe build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
Go for it mate... heres one i made a couple of weeks ago ..
port.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
This is looking really good - do you have any (nearenuf gudenuf)numbers on approximate cost of materials/tools/hours it is taking?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Post 41 looks really good, was gona paint mine green!

Anyway been on with the project, and here I am so far

First job is to cut the small 3" strips of glass tape, enough to go between each cable tie, we laid these out to avoid confusion. We mixed up enough glue for one side (by judgement) and painted each piece of glass tape with the epoxy until it was wetted out

7a88ba5c.jpg

Ensuring you get right into the tricky corners

f635d056.jpg

(note the brace still in position)

Once this has been left for at least 24hrs it is the moment of truth!!! Cutting the cable ties!

8a9c3b66.jpg

Once you have cut one and the whole boat hasn't sprung apart like a jack in the box cut the rest off

3fa56006.jpg

Then it is time for classing the full seams. To do this we cut full length strips of glass tape, enough for both seams on one side. We then rolled this back up and starting from one end slowly laid the tape in place and brushed on the epoxy as we went. 2 people are needed here

c972b3ff.jpg

Here you can see both seams on one side glassed, we have left it at this point to dry, and will then do the other side in the same way. (sorry there are no pictures of the seam glassing in operation, we really needed subedarmajor to take some photos!)

I will get some when we glass the other side.....

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Go for it mate... heres one i made a couple of weeks ago ..
port.jpg

How does she paddle?

I notice you don't hae the bulkheads in, I am not going to bother either, does it affect the rigidity at all?

Yours does look just how I imagined mine!

What paint did you use and how did you apply it?

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
hi it doesnt make much diffrence having the bulkheads in i dont bother as you loose space what i do is run the inner gunwal all the way to the bow and stern also the breast hooks (the decks) are 17inches from the nose by 11.5 inches across and they are screwed to the inner gunwal then firebre class taped around the outside. The paint is MVP olive green (military vehicle paint) i like this stuff as its anti corrosive which i paint on using a roller small one around 150mm and brush and paint on after iv painted using same method 3 coats of resin inside and out. they paddle well if you solo then i use the front seat as a back rest as the seating is set at diffrent spacing. look forward to seeing yours finished. feel free to ask anything if you get stuck iv been making open canoes for around 15 years using this method of stitch and tape.
How does she paddle?

I notice you don't hae the bulkheads in, I am not going to bother either, does it affect the rigidity at all?

Yours does look just how I imagined mine!

What paint did you use and how did you apply it?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Been on the build again tonight, got the seams on the otherside of the boat done, submaj' forgot to take photos and kata was late!

Oh well! More to come!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well it is almost time for the Inwale and outwales to go on.

Anyone got any suggestions as to size and a supplier for these?

fossil

Jul 20, 2010
Bognor Regis
well done that man , i would love to build a wooden boat ,
the best so far is relpacing all the wood on the wife's family's 13"Otter dingy

i make curved kitchens for a living though

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Been on the build again tonight, got the seams on the otherside of the boat done, submaj' forgot to take photos and kata was late!

Oh well! More to come!
It was a little difficult to take pics while I was unrolling the tape for you old chap.
Also I managed to get glue in my eye, it really hurt!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE