Would you spend a Manitoba winter in this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Burning pine? Not only does it not give off any heat, you might as well be burning money.

Sorry santaman, but I actually laughed out loud reading that:). I have no experience with hardwoods to make a comparison, but if pine didn't produce any heat then people here would've froze long ago;)

Isn't it a cruel irony that the coldest spots have the crappy wood? Down here in eastern Ontario our coldest so far this year
I think was -12.
..and here we are with all the hardwood... out our back door is dozens of square miles of red oak, maple,
ironwood, ash, birch... I cut about 8 or 10 full cords a year, but that heats our house, my parents' house, and the hunt camp.

-37C this morning:yikes:. I wouldn't mind being down your way at the moment....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Man that's too cold for me - I'm waiting for enough frost to kill off the Oca, raking up fallen leaves and BB (Mrs Red) is burying pots that we grow and sell to give a measure of frost protection. Mind you she also has two Yule cakes in the oven so the whole cottage smells cakey...which is nice!

Its certainly the end of Autumn ad pleasantly cool...but not really Winter yet

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This page (LINK) has a usefull comparative guide to heat output of different woods, surprising the variances in the softwoods.

Wish I was in front of a fire today, darn cold here.

GB.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry santaman, but I actually laughed out loud reading that:). I have no experience with hardwoods to make a comparison, but if pine didn't produce any heat then people here would've froze long ago;)....

LOL. Fair enough. I did mean "by comparison."

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This page (LINK) has a usefull comparative guide to heat output of different woods, surprising the variances in the softwoods.

Wish I was in front of a fire today, darn cold here.

GB.

Gas central heating on and I've lit the wood burner, Ash tonight. Yesterday was bad for me, decided to walk the grandson home (ours last night) and the cold, damp and mist hit my chest like a sledgehammer...got a taxi in the end as I just could not breath right.

All is well tonight though:) warm and cozy at home; the wife is due home from passing on knowledge to student nurses and its a simple gammon steaks, sausages, mushrooms, eggs and chips tonight....and a glass of cheeky red of course.

Life is good :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....All is well tonight though:) warm and cozy at home; the wife is due home from passing on knowledge to student nurses and its a simple gammon steaks, sausages, mushrooms, eggs and chips tonight....and a glass of cheeky red of course.

Life is good :)

Yep, life is good indeed. Wish I had some gammon and eggs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT's having haggis, black pudding, mushrooms and chips for his dinner just now :)

Definitely comfort food weather :D

cheers,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sedated the family with bangers and mash (loads of butter in the mash, good Lincolnshire sausages) with carrots and peas and peppery gravy made with shallots and mince ( think of slightly runny pie filling). Had to switch the heating off as at night for some reason it all rises up to the shed.

atb

tom

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I burn around 4.5 to 5 tonnes per year, coal or wood; usually a mix of both although coal is getting too expensive and I've been discussing another pre christmas mission with the neighbour for late spring and summer fuel (windblown standing larch). Nextdoor burn about 30% more than me as they aren't fully insulated yet, so they're always keen on a mission. We've also been discussing a mission to the central belt for lower cost coal in bulk.

All my hot water comes from the fire (immersion element knackered and I can't be bothered to fit a replacement as it involves dismantling the header tank etc to get in about it) and that runs the central heating too, so totally solid fuel.

Best wood for burning? I find a mix of woods burns best, pine larch or birch works well with oak or other slow burning wood, alder works well with an accelerant such as pine larch or birch too. Ash sycamore beech etc all work well solo. Even willow burns well if you cut it at the start of winter and have somewhere dark to stack and keep it for the following winter, it takes around a year to kill the green bark, longer if it's allowed to put a root down, hence the dark ;)

Pine is fine if you've the time, or have a tame lumber jack ;)

In short I'll burn anything wood wise, it all burns but some needs longer to season than others. Hardwoods, I cut split and leave from green in a heap out in the weather for around 6 months turning once or twice before stacking under cover, there it'll take anything from a further 3 to 12 months to be fire ready, depending on size and type. So on the whole one needs to be around a year + ahead from cut to burn.

For the teepee'ists they'd do well to scope some timber out then hire the services of a woodcutter for half a day on the saw to cut it in place, then there'd be around a couple of days, maybe more, carrying/wheelbarrowing splitting stacking, that would do it.

beeperboy

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
The white prairie dwellers here often lived in "soddies" too. TBH they were much better insulation than much modern construction. Nothing near as thin, flimsy, and small as the makeshift tent in the OP. The walls were cut from the topsoil and were at least a couple of feet thick, as was the roof.

My dad was born in a soddy in Canada, January 1932

Women were tougher back then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE