Would the real paracord make itself known...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I recently brought a couple of bundles of paracord (one piece on the right of this pic with the red flecks in)...
DSCN4014.jpg

The first stuff I ever brought was the all green stuff in the middle, and from reading on here I'm guessing that the stuff with the white core is the real deal.

I haven't practised with my bowdrill for ages so the recently purchased stuff will do, but has any reasonably hardwearing green cordage become paracord? Maybe it's like a supermarket can have Bakewell tarts/ fancies etc made in a factory in Rotherham instead of the spirtual home of the real pudding?

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Stumbled across something called Dyneema (something to do with sailing I think) and usually quite expensive I found some 2mm in black for a decent price.

Makes excellent guy lines for tarp, unbelievably strong for something only 2mm in diameter. Even the kitchen scissors had trouble cutting through it.

If you can find some of this stuff cheap, its worth the money.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Stumbled across something called Dyneema (something to do with sailing I think) and usually quite expensive I found some 2mm in black for a decent price.

Makes excellent guy lines for tarp, unbelievably strong for something only 2mm in diameter. Even the kitchen scissors had trouble cutting through it.

I use dyneema. IIRC the 2mm stuff has a breaking strain of 280kgs and does not stretch. It's not that expensive but it does cost more than paracord.

45p per metre here
http://www.ekmpowershop3.com/ekmps/shops/atlanticspars/ds20-dyneema-2mm-198-p.asp

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's a lot of carp cordage out there which the sellers are claiming to be genuine 550 stuff, most of it's not owrth buying as I've found out myself.
Just becuase it's got a core of white strands people think it's as good as the real stuff. I bought some of the woodland camo stuff last year and to be honest it was a waste of money. The decent stuff although not exactly static has very little stretch in it usually, the stuff I got was awful under tension, and then when the tension was released it would try to coil itself up into a ball, nightmare it was.
The only place I've been able to get the proper stuff from was Endicotts but that will be a couple of years ago now.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
There's a lot of carp cordage out there which the sellers are claiming to be genuine 550 stuff, most of it's not owrth buying as I've found out myself.
Just becuase it's got a core of white strands people think it's as good as the real stuff. I bought some of the woodland camo stuff last year and to be honest it was a waste of money. The decent stuff although not exactly static has very little stretch in it usually, the stuff I got was awful under tension, and then when the tension was released it would try to coil itself up into a ball, nightmare it was.
The only place I've been able to get the proper stuff from was Endicotts but that will be a couple of years ago now.

I got some proper stuff from woodlore

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The outer casing on the proper stuff is much more finely woven than the cheap stuff. Thats probably the only way to tell with pictures.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I have access to a tester at work and we have found cord breaking anywhere from 180 pounds up to 785 pounds. The official parachute cord is rated at 550 pounds of breaking strength. We break the official US Army ParaCord at around 600 pounds. Always a bit of safety factor.

It is made of nylon which does stretch. Think about it, do you want to be hanging on the end of a set of cords with no stretch? Rather abrupt shock when the chute opens!

There is also a cargo parachute cord that is a bit bigger and quite stronger. Can't remember the official rating but i think it's over 1000 pounds. This is what I call the good stuff. I'd love to find a 1000 yard spool for cheap.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England

Dyneema (trademark, other makes are available) has become something of a prefered choice amongst 4x4 winch users as an option to the more traditional steel wire rope.

for the same strength, it's lighter, easy on the hand, safer if it does break, requires less maintanance, easily spliced, doesn't stretch.........but is more expensive.

A very good alternative to para cord in the smaller diameters, if the cost compares.

Smoggy.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The round stuff with seven white bits inside tends to be the real stuff.

The only stuff to real avoid is the non-round stuff. Some places sell a cheap ripoff.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Really good supplier: http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=19

No relation etc. etc, IMO ideal for a group buy...

Ha! That's exactly where I bought my paracord from and it is genuine and awesome quality.

That's the same stuff I got, pants IMHO

How can it be crap stuff when it's genuine 550 cord?!?!?!!

as said above genuine 550 para cord is sweet SWEET stuff.
The outer sheathing is VERY tightly weaved unlike the junk sold in most UK stores which will snag and frail if dragged across rough objects like tree trunks.
It's so strong that I use it for prussic knot foot loops when I ascend ropes. I can bounce up and down on a single 550 paracord prussic loop like a madman and it will not break. I trust it with my life! But it does have s tendency to slip quite a bit so always make sure the give plenty of 'tail' when typing knots with 550 paracord.

Basically GENUINE 550 cord is an absolute pleasure to work with

leon-1

Really good supplier: http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=19

No relation etc. etc, IMO ideal for a group buy...

This stuff is not bad, it's 550 type III commercial, nearly all of it is nowadays. There are various versions and manufacturers of paracord (I know I have been speaking to them), the official stuff has a number of differences to type III commercial including heat resilience.

Proper Mil-Spec has an NSN of 4020-00-246-0688 unless things have changed.

It is also more expensive than Type III commercial cord and you have to place larger minimum orders for it.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
It more or less boils down to the dealer. If you have a reputable dealer and he tells his customers that it is 550 U.S. Army paracord, then most likely it will be just that. If you are buying it from "Cheap Imports R Us" then you best brace yourself.

My source sells military "style" paracord for $14.97 and military "spec" 550 paracord for 24.97. Watch out for those "qualifiers" like: "style", "type" etc. Know the going price. If it the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
This stuff is not bad, it's 550 type III commercial, nearly all of it is nowadays. There are various versions and manufacturers of paracord (I know I have been speaking to them), the official stuff has a number of differences to type III commercial including heat resilience.

Proper Mil-Spec has an NSN of 4020-00-246-0688 unless things have changed.

It is also more expensive than Type III commercial cord and you have to place larger minimum orders for it.

Interesting. I really thought the stuff I got from supply captain was military issue. Do you know where you can get the absolute REAL deal you speak of?

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Having used parachutes in the military, US Army, I can tell you that troop chutes, the ones used by paratroopers do not have 550 cord. That is the Mil-Spec 5040-C Type III which is 550 lbs breaking strength. 550 is used on the ejection seat parachutes used in fighter aircraft. The chutes are 28ft diameter with 28 lines and are designed as a survival parachute, because of the smaller size and potentially higher speeds of opening, the cords are type III, 550 lbs. This has 7 inner strands.

The paratrooper chutes, T-10, MC1-B, SET10, MC1-C and newer ones I am not totally familiar with, all use Mil Spec 5040-C, typeII which is about 375 Lbs breaking strength with 4 inner strands. These troop chutes are 36ft diameter and have 36 lines. The real deal has a black fleck or tracer on the OD sheath.

The square, HALO, Military Freefall chutes use some other cord all together. Not familiar to me, I am too old :) Hope that helps the discussion. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE