Worth a punt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Gerber Mansfield slipjoint scandi grind. Bought one on recommendation. I'm no knife expert by a country mile but this is by far a fantastic unbelievable quality D2 knife for sub £20, dont say i didn't tell you
:thumbsup:

Reactions: Tony and Kadushu

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You got any pics please??? x
1710517932930.png

Call me impatient, but I will try Google (or other search engine) for pictures, just highlight the name of whatever in the post, right click and click on whatever "search web" sort of option is offered.

Heinnie shows blade length as 8cm, which might be the same as needing to grind off 3.8mm of length from the tip, which is a lot without power tools. However, it is possible that if you go by the letter of law, it looks like the cutting edge is shorter than the blade.

Personally, I won't go near a D2 Scandi with a 10 foot pole. I posted about this a long time ago, and know that some people with diamond stones thought that working a big single bevel edge in abrasion resistant steel was no problem. I have diamond stones, and a grinder, and on a Scandi I want high edge stability, which comes from fine grain and small or few carbides. D2 is noted for large carbides and abrasion resistance. I have a D2 Swamp Rat and it cuts like crazy, but after needing to flatten bevels of a D2 Spyderco/BushcraftUK proto, it has put me off the big bevels in that kind of steel.

Interesting that Gerber UK is marking it as 10% off at £45 and Heinnie is marking it as £19.95.

Aug 4, 2022
England
The market for a slip joint bushcraft knife at *over* 3 inches must be...... small?

If it was sub 3 inches, I can see a fair few people "taking a punt" at £20.

But on the assumption that the law is your main concern (otherwise, why bother with a slip joint when a fixed blade is likely the better option), needing to spend time grinding away to bring it under 3 inches feels like a hassle....

Interesting option, but not for me!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Interesting design, I quite like it. Be interested to hear what you think.

I always thought D2 was stainless though but it has it listed as carbon. Have I missed something?? :news:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
View attachment 86244

Call me impatient, but I will try Google (or other search engine) for pictures, just highlight the name of whatever in the post, right click and click on whatever "search web" sort of option is offered.

Heinnie shows blade length as 8cm, which might be the same as needing to grind off 3.8mm of length from the tip, which is a lot without power tools. However, it is possible that if you go by the letter of law, it looks like the cutting edge is shorter than the blade.

Personally, I won't go near a D2 Scandi with a 10 foot pole. I posted about this a long time ago, and know that some people with diamond stones thought that working a big single bevel edge in abrasion resistant steel was no problem. I have diamond stones, and a grinder, and on a Scandi I want high edge stability, which comes from fine grain and small or few carbides. D2 is noted for large carbides and abrasion resistance. I have a D2 Swamp Rat and it cuts like crazy, but after needing to flatten bevels of a D2 Spyderco/BushcraftUK proto, it has put me off the big bevels in that kind of steel.

Interesting that Gerber UK is marking it as 10% off at £45 and Heinnie is marking it as £19.95.
thanks x

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Interesting design, I quite like it. Be interested to hear what you think.

I always thought D2 was stainless though but it has it listed as carbon. Have I missed something?? :news:
It tends to be called semi stainless. It'll go orange in a sweaty pocket and get a patina if you cut fruit for instance.

Reactions: FerlasDave

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
As previously stated, im no steel buff but for 20 quid you get a pretty well made mass produced tool, im not a wealthy man but ive spent more on a poorly executed delivered pizza

Reactions: RumTom

eastabrooka

Mar 21, 2024
UK
It's a nice neat looking knife
As previously stated, im no steel buff but for 20 quid you get a pretty well made mass produced tool, im not a wealthy man but ive spent more on a poorly executed delivered pizza

So 2 things.
1 ) I stumbled upon these forums because I was looking for reviews for this knife. and
2 ) I generally like Gerber gear, and find myself thinking "I really wish this was under 3" - To be compatible with EDC Carry without too much anxiety.

So I think this is going to be my first "Lets grind a new tip onto it" project.

Will post updates as I go about it.

Reactions: The Frightful

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Agreed, sharpied the change to bring it to uk edc but reticent to start as i don't want to heat it too much with the grinder. Also want to try it out this weekend to see if its worth the agg of grinding 1mm a day

eastabrooka

Mar 21, 2024
UK
Well, I went and did it.

I didn't feel like trying to continue the Scandi Grind, It looked like it would be very easy to make a hash of it.

So, I started out as well by using my calipers to mask out the line in the knife.
I kept a pot of water nearby and quenched the blade whenever it stated to bubble.

Pic of how it ended up here.

Overall, Part of me feels I have "Lost" something about the aesthetics of the knife.
But, Compared to one of my other UK Folders,

I at least enjoy the bigger handle.

Reactions: The Frightful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE