worst night in 20 years...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I managed to get away for the weekend to get some fishing in before the season ends, so I decided to head up to a wild loch I know that fishes well. It's only less than a mile from the road over really boggy ground, no trees or any kind of cover around at all, very exposed. So off I walked with bergan on back, and not been the most nimble of blokes on my feet due to back probs, landed in a bog, soaked and covered in gunk despite, grub boots and goretex! Carried on and put the tent up and then crawled into the tent as the rain just swept down the glen. When in my tent I unrolled my sleeping bag to discover about half of it was very very wet. :rolleyes:

Ach well so off to do a spot of fishing as the weather cleared, the bag didn't dry in the wind, the sky went clear and the cold descended from the sky, wow it sure was cold, very very cold. The milky way was unbelievabley beautiful and my KK kept me warm from the inside. Well about 11pm I decided it was time for kip, so I put on my fleeces, hat, gloves, neckover and pulled half the dry sleeping bag and the dog close. Jings it was a long night. I looked out and jumped around tent to warm up and then tried again and eventually got to sleep somewhere around 4am. I am totally convinced that without the dog I wouldn't have slept, he warmed up nicely and the two of us, eventually became quite snug. It was a cold foggy morning and I was glad when the sun rose up above the peaks to heat me up a bit more.

Usually I canoe everywhere and all my gear is watertight, it just made me think again as it's not often I use my bergan and I was travelling very light hence I got wet. So what did I learn? A dry bag is invaluable. ( I knew that and was too lazy to pack it all in as I was in a hurry) A dog is mans best friend and will keep you warm when you are cold! An arctic down army sleeping bag is useless when wet ( I knew that of course but love my bag), so I've decided to go for a snugpak with expanda panel, that will still insulate a bit when wet ), a wet poncho liner is a useless backup (will try and source some pile and make a lightweight pile one), a KK and firelighters has to be the best emergency stove out ever! And thank the yanks for ECW underwear that stays warm when soaked!

It's been twenty years since I've had a night like that outdoors and was a bit of a wake up call...

w00dsmoke

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
So what did I learn? A dry bag is invaluable. ( I knew that and was too lazy to pack it all in as I was in a hurry) A dog is mans best friend and will keep you warm when you are cold! An arctic down army sleeping bag is useless when wet

I think we have all had nights like that.......A good nights sleep is one of the best "bits of kit" Thanks for being honest and sharing..

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I used a down sleeping bag for years and was religious about keeping it dry, but ultimately on one occasion got it soaked and myself soaked and my spare clothing soaked, and spent a night out, surrounded by several fires trying to dry out and stay warm.

Pretty much since then, ive used buffalo bags, and tho i suffer the weight and packed size, i dont think id wish to go back

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
You are not the only one to have a bad trip this weekend, see NatG's thread in Out & About section.:eek:

Was there something going on in the ether that we are unaware of this weekend, bad spiritual vibes for us out door folk?:werd:

Did anyone have a great night out Saturday? (not down the pub or club), propper out, in the woods and glens!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
You are not the only one to have a bad trip this weekend, see NatG's thread in Out & About section.:eek:

Was there something going on in the ether that we are unaware of this weekend, bad spiritual vibes for us out door folk?:werd:

Did anyone have a great night out Saturday? (not down the pub or club), propper out, in the woods and glens!

Quite a few of us had a great night at the midlands meet,Spams brother had a great night but a bit poorly the next day:D

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Thanks for sharing your experience. I like to say that I carry a very expensive sleeping bag made of paper mache'....once it gets wet it's like sleeping in bits of wet newspaper.

Do you happen to know how cold the temperature dropped? I wonder if we all recognize just how quickly a nice "fishing trip by the loch" can turn into a much more serious situation.....for instance, did you happen to tell anyone where you were going, or specifically when you would be home? and when they should come looking for you or call out the troops if you don't show up at a specified time? ----- I've been guilty of not doing this from time to time

One bit of gear that I always carry with me is either a platypus style water bag or a Nalgene style bottle. I fill it with hot/boiling water and it's an excellent source of heat in a wet sleeping bag. You can put it under your arms, or between your thighs to get that heat into your blood.

I hope you managed to catch a few fish.

D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry to hear about your shoddy night w00dsmoke, it just proves that we should always try to keep everything as dry as possible. I used to have bits of kit in their own bags, some dry and some not but now I have one big one inside my pack which holds everything.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It's nights like that which makes all the other nights that bit better. We all have them at some stage, but the good thing is it teaches us so much than many good nights in the woods put together IMO

Cheers for the response guys. At the end of the day I just grabbed and go so to speak. There was no danger as I could easily have walked to the car and slept in it. It is a good example of how easily things can go slightly wrong and almost ruin a trip. In my case it was a fall into a bog. If I was canoeing I would have had all my emergency gear in a grab bag like a blizzard bag, this time no but its made me stop and re think a couple of things that you take for granted will work but don't.

WS

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I had a good camping trip at the weekend, slept outside, under the stars, was really nice but on sunday i found two big ticks on my person, one on my side and one on my !@?# i almost cried when i found the second one :.(

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
When I was younger, I bought a new sleeping bag, from Argos, called the Moon Bag.

I used it once, I do not know how cold it got that night but I have never felt so cold.

Taught me to never trust the blurb about NASA fabric etc.

Arrived at another place with my new mummy bag, to be told it was freezing last night, and that people had bought new sleeping bags that day. Someone else arrived, and out came a moon bag. After I finished laughing I had to point out that the bag was useless.

Always make sure my sleeping stuff is water tight. Used to go camping with a scout group, and one of the leaders, had a habit if he did not think your kit was packed well, of testing it.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
When I was younger, I bought a new sleeping bag, from Argos, called the Moon Bag.

I used it once, I do not know how cold it got that night but I have never felt so cold.

Taught me to never trust the blurb about NASA fabric etc.

Hahah, first time went camping in the Beacons in late December was with a Moon Bag... somehow didn't turn into a pre wrapped popsicle.

Another time started raining, so pitched tents. Woke up in the morning to find ourselves on a little isle with rain water streams surrounding. When packed, the idea was to throw rucksack over, and then jump across... but sudden onset of doubt and I held on instead of letting go. Both go into the water, rucksack starts its maiden voyage.
Fortunately rescued the rucksack further down and weather was pleasant enough to atleast partially dry everything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE