Worm Farming anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
My compost heaps have fist sized balls of brandling worms in them :)
I routinely donate to friends setting up new compost heaps but I never thought about farming them beyond the worm worked compost they produce.
It's beautiful stuff :) and it's brilliant in the garden :D Opens up clay soil and is very fertile :approve:

It's astonishing how much plant material worms get through though.

atb,
Toddy

Mary , i,ll be doon at yer door wi my worm tub , when the fishing season starts ...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Aye, okay :)
I get 6 to 8" long big thick earthworms all through the garden too. I think it's all the leaf litter from the trees along the lane that keeps them feeding. They put up a heck of a fight with the blackie when it tries to howk them out of their burrows. I've seen the bird give up and go look for an easier dinner.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
very interesting thread, have been thinking about farming some worms myself - for fishing purposes - seems I'm not as mad as the Mrs thinks I am! :)

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Well I wasn't happy yesterday when my bath arrived with a big crack in it... useless after paying someone £20 to drop it off. Im thinking of just building a wooden frame and paneling it off with a hinged lid.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting - I'd think it would be more of a flavour thing than a colour thing though. I've had success with all - but I tend to favour lob worms. Can't say I've ever done serious experiments though.

You'ld be surprised at the impact color has. Most artificial lures (excluding artificial flies) do best that are brightest. Here most lures colors are determined by local conditions. It's also advised in sea survival courses "not" to wear bright colors as they attract sharks.

IIRC when I was in England the bait shops used food dyes to color their maggots to the color the local fish were biting.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
IIRC when I was in England the bait shops used food dyes to color their maggots to the color the local fish were biting.

The maggots aren't dyed their food source is, the chicken or whatever meat the maggot farm uses for the blow is dyed therefore when the maggots hatch and start eating they are dyed on the inside, the only exception to this used to be when Chrysoidine was used to colour maggots Bronze as the chemical was the only one to be applied externally, this is now banned as Chrysoidine has proven carcinogenic properties.

But, you are right colour is important, the number of times ive fished using a white maggot and not got a bite, changed to Red and bingo, even at times colour combinations, two white maggots or two red maggots on the hook - nothing, change the hook bait to one white and one red and you start getting bites.

The same applies with other colours too, in the depths of winter ive often struggled using white or red pinkies on the hook, put a flouro one on and you get bites - tis bizarre, same with lures, ive had more fish on lures that have red wool tied around the hook than any other lure, i thinks it's Meps that supply a lot of lures with red wool pre tied to them.

There is no rhymne nor reason why, it just happens, damned frustrating at times though

Last edited:

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
The maggots aren't dyed their food source is, the chicken or whatever meat the maggot farm uses for the blow is dyed therefore when the maggots hatch and start eating they are dyed on the inside, the only exception to this used to be when Chrysoidine was used to colour maggots Bronze as the chemical was the only one to be applied externally, this is now banned as Chrysoidine has proven carcinogenic properties.

I used to think maggots were died too, thanks for that bit of info :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE