Worm Farming anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Since October Ive been slowing designing a worm farm for the back Garden and in the next few days my bath will arrive that I will be using to farm worms. The aim of it all, is to essentially breed enough worms to sell into the fishing industry. As a regular customer of local fishing shops I have already had interest and demand so im keen to get the ball rolling with this. I'd just like to know if anyone else has a worm farm they'd like to share. Worm Farms are brilliant for the environment, eating old scraps of food and producing the best plant fertilizer known to man. When the bath arrives and is secured into the wooden frame ive made, ill post up some pictures.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Will you doing Dendro's, Lobs or Reds?

My worm farm is three compost heaps:), all used on rotation, whilst one is being used the next in line is rotting down and the third is being filled up, when the current one is used, i move on to the one that's rotting down and so the cycle continues.

To supply local tackle shops you are going to need a heck of lot of Worms as well as a good stock to keep the cycle going, will be interesting to see how your project goes though, top quality compost is always in demand

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Ive patio'd and fenced the garden off, im going to build a shelter and get a number of baths out there. I was contemplating buying a shed but In all honesty I want about 10 baths out there! Bit of CCTV going in too encase people coming sneaking over the fence for freebies. And im going for the old European Nightcrawlers :D Dendros's. I liked this idea off someone else's wormfarm, so Ive kinda gone for the same look. Even with the plumbing to catch the juice. (this isnt mine by the way)

111830d1229916073-bath-tub-worm-farm-worm_farm_finished.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My compost heaps have fist sized balls of brandling worms in them :)
I routinely donate to friends setting up new compost heaps but I never thought about farming them beyond the worm worked compost they produce.
It's beautiful stuff :) and it's brilliant in the garden :D Opens up clay soil and is very fertile :approve:

It's astonishing how much plant material worms get through though.

atb,
Toddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
looks interesting, we had a worm farm up by the lakes, he didnt last long, basically as he got greedy, not becuase of the quality of product, the worm was good, but he put the prices up and put less in each pot, one of the guys i fish with bought a pot off of the chap and didnt check it before we went off to a Winter League, get to the match, opens his pot of worms to find he bought a pot of dirt:), not a single worm in it - lol, so he nicked some of mine and then he got a section win with some lovely big Perch - git

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Ill buy 2 kG of worms to start and see how it goes for the first few months. I can easily build and extend the farm so housing them isnt too much hastle. Kepis we seem to have the same interests pal, DIY, Astronomy, Worms... lol

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
looks that way doesnt it, i think those interest are pretty uniform for a lot of people here, well with t he exception of worms maybe:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
a hungry perch will take owt that wiggles.

When you use them for chopped worm fishing the yellow juice is off putting to the fish, ive caught over Brandlings but had way way better results using Dendro, reds & lobbies, in particular chopped lobs with a red worm over the top, when i fished the Nationals we were specifically told not to take Brandlings as they would reduce our chances because of the off putting yellow gunk they give off when chopped, we even experimented with some Perch in a fish tank (yes we were that serious), we fed a cup of chopped brandlings and a cup of chopped lobs into the tank at the same time, the Perch went to the lobs first every time but were hanging back from the Brandlings.

But yep, if a fish is hungry enough it will take anything it perceives to be food.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
When you use them for chopped worm fishing the yellow juice is off putting to the fish, ive caught over Brandlings but had way way better results using Dendro, reds & lobbies, in particular chopped lobs with a red worm over the top, when i fished the Nationals we were specifically told not to take Brandlings as they would reduce our chances because of the off putting yellow gunk they give off when chopped, we even experimented with some Perch in a fish tank (yes we were that serious), we fed a cup of chopped brandlings and a cup of chopped lobs into the tank at the same time, the Perch went to the lobs first every time but were hanging back from the Brandlings.

But yep, if a fish is hungry enough it will take anything it perceives to be food.

Interesting - I'd think it would be more of a flavour thing than a colour thing though. I've had success with all - but I tend to favour lob worms. Can't say I've ever done serious experiments though.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Interesting - I'd think it would be more of a flavour thing than a colour thing though. I've had success with all - but I tend to favour lob worms. Can't say I've ever done serious experiments though.

The team i was in at the time was pretty full on, i used to think nothing of driving for two or three hours to go and fish a five hour match up in Essex, the team had International standard anglers in it (one guy fished for the USA) as well as us lowly County & National level anglers.

We were always experimenting with things to try and give us the edge over the competition, to the point i used to shave slithers of lead of off No 10 shot to get the float to sit just right in the water, was serious stuff you know;)

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
Different worms are needed for different stages of the composting process. They also need air, are you going to drill the sides of the bath at all? If you are looking to sell the compost, you could add value by having some bins higher in nitrogen (for leaf growth) and some higher in potassium and phosphoros (for fruiting). Technically, if you were to take on scraps from outside your home, you would need a waste processing licence which costs thousands and open yourself up to inspection and regulation, a big "can of worms".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE