World's smallest and lightest fan forced TLUD stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Titanium is always worth adding! Very cool!
If its thin guage, it will lessen jthe amount of heat conducted to the fan cowling, and in theory make the stove produce gas at a more consistent rate, increase the amount of heat conducted to the pot and lessen the thermal mass of the stove.

I'm thinking about a paintable coating for the combustion chanmber. Ive researched zirconium basd refractory paints, but it they coast too much. I am thinking that a slurry of ground vermiculite, sawdust and fire cement may be easy to make up and test. I sauspect it will crack off, but may stick well to the mica paper. When I fitted the mica, I treated it like wall paper and made multiple slits. It was loose till it had done a couple of burns-it then stuck fast with the tar.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the pot stand-the crossed stainless is a bit of a pain. Something that attaches permanetly to the outer wall would be better i think.

Gailainne

Life Member
I'm using mica paper for the fan cowl, very little heat transfer, a bit delicate I know. I seem to recall a post somewhere about using vermiculite, to make clay fire pots for third world applications, pearlite I think as well, garden centres and aquarium houses for supplies i think.

My problem with the mica paper was impatience :( I wanted to try another burn, it came out in a oner afterwards. The bottom section is still there tho, I'm up to 3 thin layers of cement painted on.

I like the crossed sections, I'm thinking of making the first ones out of 1mm ali, with a 10mm width, I'll work out the optimum height and notch them to suit. but why I want to use them, it will allow me to fit a windscreen close (6mm max) to the pot, I'll also notch the top of the cross to locate the windshield and the pot to keep everything central. Finalised ones will be cut from stainless (unless the ali ones hold up), now where did I put that article on diy anodising.

I'm working on a rudder rig from my canoe atm, so in between varnish coats I'll have a play.

Pic of a combined pot support, wind shield holder I did a while back

support.jpg

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That design is along the lines I was thinking of too.

I suspect the ali pot stand will melt or anneal quickly, my crossed stainless glows red to orange-I think red is about 800 oC, ill check on that.

I used 314 stainless spokes for one stove, and they went too soft top support the pot after 3 burns! I'm using 316 stainless for the crossed stand and that is fine. Ive also used some 400 series(old cooker splash-back) stainless and that is ok too.
The homemade refractory materials are on bioenergy lists, theres quite a few articles on it along with tested recipes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE