Workwear For Bushcraft Clothes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Has anyone considered using workwear for outdoor pursuits?

The fabric mix is usually a 65% polyester 35% cotton mix in shirts and trousers. Workwear as in clothes provided to janitors, industrial workers. The fabric dries pretty quickly

In the U.S. Dickies and Carharrt are two leading manufacturers of workwear clothing.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I wear dickies style "combat" trousers, bought from the local agri supply place, for working 'round the small holding. Tough, quick drying etc. They're of a heavier weave than, say, craghoppers style trollies, so are that much heavier. Plus they have buttons for attaching braces, which is a plus. My only compaint about them is the pockets are a bit shallow and the buttons are sown on with thread with all the strength and resiliance of tissue paper. For rough stuff though, theyr'e ideal.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Carhartt gear is great, very tough and hardwearing !I have some of there cotton duck jackets .

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Work boots are often warm, waterproof with grippy soles. Unless you're doing serious walking, they're pretty good

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a Carhartt jacket that I picked up in Canada.
It's no good for summer, as it's wool lined, but It's tough cotton canvas, and I doubt I could ever damage it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wear Dickies or Wranglers blue jeans all the time; unless I need cammo for deer hunting and then it's just Wranglers. DIckies t-shirts or button shirts a lot.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Cotton Carhartt ducks in a carpenter cut are the toughest trousers I've ever owned. They're double layered over the thigh and knee and have a pocket for inserting pads. A bit heavy for walking but virtually indestructible and available secondhand for less than a tenner. They also have a cool factor that gives you extra kudos in Shoreditch. :cool:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I get issued with Dickies combat style trousers at work, good gear though they are hot to wear in warm weather.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I use Dickies with the knee pocket for knee pads - when fitted with the knee pads it is more comfortble kneeling down when its wet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE