Work gloves suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
While I realise I could just pick up a pair at a garden centre, does anyone have suggestion for a not too bulky pair of general purpose work gloves. Something to protect against thorns and splinters etc and maybe the odd blister, plus let me pick up hot pots. Cut resistance would be good too I suppose.

There seems to be an impossibly wide range of options, making it difficult to choose a pair, so if anyone has a best buy they would like to suggest, I would be grateful.

Price range up to around £15, but less would be good, and I would pay more if convinced they were worth it.

Thanks,

Graham

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Graham,

Re the garden centre type, Briars do a good pair of washable garden gloves made of a suede type material in olive green. They are really good as general purpose bushcraft gloves, they are only £10. I'm sure if they were for the bushcraft market they would cost much more.
I have used Kevlar and nomex gloves at work, they are good but not very flexible and tend to be expensive, also they are generally designed for one time use, meaning if they get cut they need to be replaced.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm

Same question for me, I'm after some supple, short (not gauntlet), strong cowhide work gloves. Don't mind price for quality - my current ones are wearing through and I need a quality replacement

Red

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks everyone, I will start by having a look at the Briers, as I can try them on, and they are the cheapest.

A little concerned that the "olive" is one of their "fashion" colours range :-(

Graham

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I use Petzel repelling gloves, the extra padding on the palm and fingers is great, and without any major loss of dexterity!

Sent from my pie-phone, via Tip-top......…hmm Tip-top!

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
A little concerned that the "olive" is one of their "fashion" colours range :-(

They also come in lilac if that's more your thing.......

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks again folks, never thought about rappel gloves, but a bit pricey , but the Arco driver's gloves sound good.

Cheers,

Graham

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
The last few pairs I have had have been Town & Country leather gloves, they last well and are comfortable to wear (excuse the pun but 'they fit like a glove' ). I can do pretty much most things in them, they are much less bulky than std rigger gloves.
They also make a lined version which are ideal in winter, but obviously a bit bulkier.
There are some on ebay, garden centres also sell them sometimes.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Town-Coun...denEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item2570edc81c

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The last few pairs I have had have been Town & Country leather gloves, they last well and are comfortable to wear (excuse the pun but 'they fit like a glove' ). I can do pretty much most things in them, they are much less bulky than std rigger gloves.

Thats very much the sort I like - thanks!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
yep, i used them on sidecar trials for many years and thats seriously hard on gloves, they were the best i could find ( for example, a standard pair if trials gloves would last about 4 meetings, these were 20+ meetings. :) and you can end up VERY wet on sidecar trials ! ) very very good gloves, and comfy too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE