Woolen blanket jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
I recently bought a woolen blanket & would love to be able to turn it into a "swannie" style hooded jacket for woods & marsh walking. Does anyone know or have any patterns for this? Appreciate any help! Cheers :)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Toddy is really the expert in these matters and there's a thread here that is right up your street. I'm planning to try the same thing myself, I'm just looking for some nice woolen fabric.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I make a lot of these kind of things for the re-enactment / re-creation / live role play groups; the patterns are all very similar to a Swannie.

Let me know if you don't get anywhere and I'll try and copy a pattern for you in your size.

ODG

Pics of one such 'tunic' :

Tunic view 1

Tunic view 2

Incidentally, the material used here is flannel, but I've made them in everything from cottons and linens to felted wool for different seasons. They're very comfy! :)

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Hi ODG. A pattern would be very helpful. LIked the 2 pictures of examples...it's the hooded one I'd like to try. Size-wise, I guess I'd be a large chest (only to allow movement/wear over outdoor clothes) & I'm 5'9". Really appreciate your help!
BTW, do you charge much to make these if I was to send you the blanket? My sewing skills are limited to the occasional leather work, buttons & rip repairs. My wife's good, but her sewing machine wouldn't work too well with a woolen blanket!

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
I was thinking of making a wool shirt/anorak myself. I think it would be easiest to buy a really cheap military surplus smock or anorak in a size that you want. It wouldn't even have to be in good condition. Just cut out the threads or seams and there is your custom pattern. Do a search for "Swedish Smock" and you should find a pic of a nice green one. They sell Arctic Swedish Smocks/ANoraks for dirt cheap. It would be nice to have a wool shirt made just like this. My 2 cents.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=2721&highlight=swedish+smock

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Yohny: I normally allow about £5 per hour for sewing things for other people; a tunic like this takes about 2 hours to make, so if you were able to supply the blanket and any buttons you want used, I'd charge a tenner (plus postage back to you). I can supply buttons if you like at cost.

ODG

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
leatherneck said:
I was thinking of making a wool shirt/anorak myself. I think it would be easiest to buy a really cheap military surplus smock or anorak in a size that you want. It wouldn't even have to be in good condition. Just cut out the threads or seams and there is your custom pattern.

That's the way I made mine. I just used an old shirt as a pattern. I've also got some suade to put around the cuffs and the neck to help with the itchy wool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE