Wool Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Alpaca wool is just the same as any other wool? I've just purchased a cheap one that looks great which isn't 100% alpaca like 70% or something. Never worn it before so dunno how warm or soft it will be.
I am considering getting a underponcho for my DD waterproof poncho just to make it more comfortable. By this I mean a very lightweight cool poncho which I can wear under the poncho to avoid the uncomfortable material.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Alpaca wool is just the same as any other wool? I've just purchased a cheap one that looks great which isn't 100% alpaca like 70% or something. Never worn it before so dunno how warm or soft it will be.
I am considering getting a underponcho for my DD waterproof poncho just to make it more comfortable. By this I mean a very lightweight cool poncho which I can wear under the poncho to avoid the uncomfortable material.

Alpaca is softer and lighter than sheep wool and, pound for pound, is warmer.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That's my understanding also. But is it as durable? I've heard it wears out sooner/easier.

Maybe not as durable, although not too bad. I have a pair of alpaca fingerless gloves that began to wear out this year after two winters' regular use. That's not too bad I reckon. Possibly the best solution is an 50-50 alpaca/sheep wool mix - that works very well.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Hey a update! I finally got my poncho from Boliva.
http://www.caserita.com/Poncho-con-Capucha-p93
It's fairly warm but really its something you put on in the evening if your drinking outside this one doesn't really have any warmth potential I don't think. I'll try using it tonight as I'm sleeping outside testing out a new sleeping bag. It's fairly itchy and its not 100% wool meaning its not as warm.
Does anyone have any experience with 100% alpaca wool? Is it much different from a 100% wool blanket?
At any rate its much more comfortable than a coat and I like the appearance of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE