Wool Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Although it isin't quite the weather for it I am considering purchasing a wool poncho from sites such as these:
http://www.zocalo-trading.com/poncho/wool_ponchos.htm
http://www.alpacamall.com/en/ponchos-c-5643.html
They are 100% wool and appear to be of great quality. The issue is neither website has any reviews or testimonials which is quite worrying. I was wondering if you folks know anything about these two websties and their products or just wearing a poncho in general.

I will be frank however... I watched Fist full of dollars recently and went on a western movie spree. A genre I have otherwise completely ignored. Beyond looking pretty cool is there any reason to purchase a poncho?
I'm considering combining the poncho with a rainproof one for ultimate warmth in winter downpours. Furthermore I love my Italian wool blanket but it is too dam heavy and bulky so I rarely take it. Perhaps a poncho will be a better option? Also what weather are these appropriate for? Both websites stress traditional makes will this be suitable at any time of the year in the UK? Too hot in summer too cold in winter?
Thanks for reading.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As long as you look like this when wearing it :D

images

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
My lass loves hers... It's no wool mind it's one if those hippy ponchos...got to say a wool blanket around you by the fire is lush d

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
My lass loves hers... It's no wool mind it's one if those hippy ponchos...got to say a wool blanket around you by the fire is lush d
Yea I've been looking into it and people do seem to love ponchos for sitting by the fire. I'm considering it to supplant a coat. Do you know what her poncho is made of? I may end up savaging my Italian wool blanket

rg598

Native
I find that a good, well fitted shirt of the same material will be warmer for less weight and volume. If you find the blanket too heavy, then unless the poncho is much thinner, you will have similar weight issues.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A woolen poncho is one of the most comfortable things you can ever wear in my book; just beware of packing one about just to wear sometimes - big and quite heavy. I've often worn them with, as you mention, a layer of something water resistant over, but good wool is pretty weatherproof on it's own.

Ponchos seem to be one of those marmite pieces of gear - some love 'em and some loathe 'em; I've found them invaluable over a long period of time and in a variety of situations...............atb mac

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yea I've been looking into it and people do seem to love ponchos for sitting by the fire. I'm considering it to supplant a coat. Do you know what her poncho is made of? I may end up savaging my Italian wool blanket

Hers is a crappy mixed blend one... It would be no good round a fire. An Italian blanket would work!😃

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I might have a look at hers and butcher a blanket....
They are heavy blankets to pack but a poncho would be lighter( less material) + would still work as a blanket...d

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have no experience of the two shops you're looking at but I can recommend ponchos. I have a couple and they are great - versatile, warm weather resistant and somehow, I find they feel right. Capes are also good too btw.

Hooded ones are more versatile. I have a 50/50 wool alpaca mix which lightweight (500g) so easy to pack and which doubles as a blanket and a heavier all wool one which gives more warmth and protection.

One thing, the prices on those sites seem a little high. You can get decent ones on ebay for less or google 'Caserita'. They have a selection.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
I've a light one.
Got it from a Web store aimed at surfers I think.
Cant help better than that twas yrs ago sorry

Yea thanks. It's hard finding anything appropriate but surfing poncho's or capes might be my best bet. I'll keep no looking. I might end up just making my own but I wouldn't know where to start.

Easiest way to make own- get blanket fold in half so it covers amount of body you want covering.
Cut a T shape middle of fold.
Sew the cut to prevent fraying.
I got my aunt to sew some cotton around the sides of the T cut to stop the wool irritating my neck

Have a look at Mary's post (#25) here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16019

Pretty simple design and sounds like what you describe but with the cut going the full way. Plus its pretty versatile from what I have seen.

I have to admit I have still to make mine, just not got around to it yet.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Cheap wool blanket.... Tshirt neck template for hole ( although i wish id done the t cut instead in hind sight) but it fits comfortably.... Not the prettiest of things or the lightest but its warm and cost about £8 including the edging on the neck.....

Simple to make and cheaper.... Personally didnt buy one incase i never actually used it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE