Wool coat/shirt/jacket advice..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo!

Gona be a year older soon and the boss refuses to get me anything sharp or shooty so I would like a decent woolen top to keep me warm and snug. I'd like to explore the options available in that sort of clothing department so you guys are the best ones to ask! ;)

I'd like it to be well made, durable and under £100 and preferabley button up.

Is there a garment out there for me?

I have found some nice ones on here:http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/bison_bushcraft_outfitters.htm In particular I like the forester shirt.

Does anyone have experience with this clothing line or any other brands?

Cheers,

Sam

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Buy the Bison shirt. It's great quality and is made in Britain.

If you will be using it for shooting, the autumn colour provides good camo for the times of year you will actually need to wear a wool shirt.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That sounds reasurring! and as I've never spent more thank £60 on any individual item of clothing (doc martens boots..) I am hesitent to start now (and too poor to make alot of mistakes).

Are there better made/'better' items for a simular price or are those really the finest ones available with my budget?

Any input is appreciated. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am a huge fan of "layering" with wool. My very favourites are Pendleton wool shirts. Not hugely thick - like a normal button up shirt (although a little longer - like a classically tailored short should be). They are insanely warm though. Put one over a T shirt and you are good in Autumn. Add a coat or Jerkin in Winter. Brilliant things. Order a size larger than normal though as they tighten a little with machine washes. Really superb garments.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Another vote for Pendleton wool shirts.

I buy mine from the states and buy them a size too big then wash them at 60º, it's going to happen accidentally at some point so I just get in there first.

I've found them for £110 in this country and thats expensive and only available in silly UK "regular" sizing. So if one is tall, as I am, UK sizing is always too short in the arm and I'm not spending money on kit that doesn't fit me.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...=SBC;MMcat104797080;cat104263380;cat104063580

I'm a UK "extra large", so that translates in US sizes as "large" and so being tall I'm a US "Large Tall". I find buying a size larger XL Tall allows for a little preemptive shrinkage. These don't shrink in a 40º machine wash.

I find buying a single shirt (to keep below the duty threshold) and paying for the mid price postage the whole cost combined comes in around £85 to £90 depending on the exchange rate, arrives within 7 to 10 days usually. Cabela's change the patterns and colours in stock a few times a year so it's worth checking the site periodically, these often find their way into the bargain cave from time to time too.

If your after something heavier they have these in their own brand label. Not as versatile as the Pendleton because they're quite heavy, wool blanket heavy, the buttons are small which is only an issue for the cuffs and no "tall" sizing, I've one in XXL and I wear it as a coat and as a shirt depending what I'm up to;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Algo...t=wool+shirt&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

All in all I wish UK sizing would move away from the generic catering for the little fat bloke, in wool shirt sizing at least. I'd happily spend my money here if they did.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you can find one, you could do a lot worse than a good old-fashioned wool donkey jacket and have some change left for a few scoops.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Swapsie
Devold wooly jumper medium
Hi got a jumper too swap if anyone's interested devold real wool size medium.very good condition n clean apart from a small hole on the upper left chest.dont know how it got their actually but it could easily be repaired.wish I could have worn it more but its so god dam warm proper roasting.its a medium but I'm a large n its big on me
http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Al...tml?sort=3&o=0
http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Al...tml?sort=3&o=1
http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Al...tml?sort=3&o=2
Will swap for just about anything bushcrafty
Last edited by Alreetmiowdmuka; 04-08-2013 at 16:53.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I have them as well:rolleyes: filson and woolrich are the best IMO

What abaht Johnson ? I love my cruiser ......
by2ebuse.jpg

ytuje6aq.jpg

Double yoke on back and shoulders ...
5uzy5epe.jpg

Good pockets...
ahu6yzu6.jpg

Rear cruiser pocket ....
u2yjajyj.jpg

eggs shouldn't dance with stones.....

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
il_570xN.279999265.jpg

Swedish Army field jacket (not me in the photo!).
Button-up, heavy wool, big pockets front, rear and inside.

I paid less than 30 quid for mine (an un-worn 1942 example). It's a great jacket and I've never had so many (positive) comments/questions about an item of clothing from friends and colleagues before. Most of my other clothing is presumably fairly unremarkable....

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
il_570xN.279999265.jpg

Swedish Army field jacket (not me in the photo!).
Button-up, heavy wool, big pockets front, rear and inside.

I paid less than 30 quid for mine (an un-worn 1942 example). It's a great jacket and I've never had so many (positive) comments/questions about an item of clothing from friends and colleagues before. Most of my other clothing is presumably fairly unremarkable....

I have the earlier version of this and must agree.
For the money, quality wise, these are easily the best value on the market!

Best.

C.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE