Bison Bushcraft Bush shirt and Moleskin trousers review!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well I decided to buy my birthday present about a month early (birthday not until April), and I was a lucky lad! I bought the garments from Bison Bushcraft as I know they're a great company and I love all of the equipment they sell, its high quality and will outlast me! :)

The Bush shirt

The Bush Shirt is made from high quality, 100% wool, Islay Tweed. It has a large moleskin lined hand warmer pocket, two chest pockets as well as a really big hood that really protects your head from the elements. The entire inside is also moleskin lined and is so comfortable it lives on me! The hem has an elasticated drawstring and the hood also has a drawstring to cinch it up if needed. The shirt has an 8 eyelet lace up system with a neck baffle, which is comfortable and a great design feature, one that drew me so much to this shirt. It is an extremely durable, well made and excellently well thought out bit of kit. You can tell it was designed by people who know what they're talking about when it comes to the outdoors. The sizes, as specified by Bison are English men's sizes, not skimpy overseas ones, so I bought a medium instead of the usual large and it fits perfectly, with plenty of room for growth and freedom of movement, I'm taller than my dad now so I'm sure it will last me forever! It comes as standard with antler buttons, which are great and give the shirt a really nice finish! It is also an all natural fibre garment, which is something I really believe in for endless reasons. The entire shirt, from materials to construction, is made in the UK, which is important to me as I like to support small businesses and cottage industry wherever I can. :)

some pictures:

image_zpsae0a3f21.jpg

image_zps885ee058.jpg

image_zps65c3454e.jpg

image_zpsb432eb86.jpg

I'm absolutely thrilled with this, its quality, great design and durability are unrivalled in my opinion and I love it!

The Trousers

These trousers are also all made In the UK, are constructed of cotton moleskin and ventile reinforcement patches on the knees. They are incredibly comfortable and durable trousers that are very practical. They have a spacious knife pocket on the right leg and a large cargo pocket on the left, as well as two back pockets and two hand pockets on the front. These are also extremely well made and have drawstring trouser bottoms, which are incredibly useful for fitting on hiking boots and stopping ticks and other beasties getting on your legs! These trousers, coupled with the shirt have barely been of my back since they arrived nearly a week ago! The natural fibres do not smell either so they're perfect for extended wilderness trips!

Here are some photos:

image_zpsfa063018.jpg

image_zpsa9b9f7d2.jpg

I also have a Snurgle Sack and some Renaissance Wax which I can also say are cracking bits of kit!

Hope you enjoyed the short review on these garments, they're certainly first rate bits of gear that will last forever!

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Been thinking of grabbing some Bison gear myself so thanks for the reviews :)

Now I just need to sell one of my kidneys to pay for them lol

LoL! I can recommend them thoroughly though, the stuff is great and well worth it, who needs kidneys anyway? ;) :lmao:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for the review, I have worn a pair of the Bison trousers for about four years now and really like them. Unfortunately Hungary didn't have a winter this year so they didn't get out to play. :(

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks for the review, I have worn a pair of the Bison trousers for about four years now and really like them. Unfortunately Hungary didn't have a winter this year so they didn't get out to play. :(

Cheers mate! They sure are a great pair of trousers! :)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I have the zip up version of the bush shirt and it is a cracker just came back from North Yorkshire moors and it served me very well. An absolutely fantastic piece of gear. Thanks for your review.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have the zip up version of the bush shirt and it is a cracker just came back from North Yorkshire moors and it served me very well. An absolutely fantastic piece of gear. Thanks for your review.

They certainly are solid bits of gear, built to last! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry but a "shirt" is a "button through" design. It should unfasten all the way down the front. As great as the materials look, I would never buy one of these as the over the head design is a real limiting factor for me :(

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Sorry but a "shirt" is a "button through" design. It should unfasten all the way down the front. As great as the materials look, I would never buy one of these as the over the head design is a real limiting factor for me :(

Fair enough, I see what you mean but it is easy to get on and off :).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are right - but I "run hot" and like the ability to unzip / unbutton a mid layer. I can't abide those ones that are over the head - they make me feel hot and hemmed in when I put them on. Some love them, some hate them - its a shame that Bison don't offer a "real" shirt - until they do I'll stick to Pendleton.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE