Woodsmoke 'Woodlander' course, 3rd->9th May

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveme

Nov 5, 2008
Leeds
Hi All,

Here's a few pics and thoughts on Woodsmoke's excellent 'Woodlander' course I attended (and passed with a merit!) 3rd-9th May

Myself and a bloke from work were using basha's - nearly everyone else was in a tent, that turned out to be a good idea (for them) as it rained a lot.
IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

After getting set up we were treated to an excellent Langoustine and nettle soup, and sat around the fire getting to know the group and a preview of the coming week. The catering throughout the course was excellent.

One of the first things we started making was a pot hanger - this was required for later in the week. Simon is hard a work putting the cross cut upside down in this shot. oops.
IMG_0865.JPG

We also started carving spoons - after I turned my first one into firewood by overcarving the bowl, I started on a spoon/spatula hybrid - the spootula
IMG_0866.JPG

We also tried our hand at shelter building:
IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

The main fire where we spent most of the time working on the craft projects or taking notes during teaching
IMG_0913.JPG

The cooking area
IMG_0914.JPG

After filleting trout we cooked them over the fire while boiling rice on the pot hanger
IMG_0920.JPG

Some feathersticks and my knife (Graduate with oak scales, 3mm 01 by Paul Baker). The knife performed excellently all week and still had an excellent edge after a week of hard work.
IMG_0923.JPG

My sycamore bow drill set, not long after successfully turning an ember into a fireball :)
IMG_0924.JPG

We also learnt how to prepare rabbit and woodpigeon and then made game pie. There was plenty of meat left for a kebab.
IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

Other topics covered included water purification, making cordage, star lore, plant identification, fishing, tracking and trapping.

Here's my figure 4 trap
IMG_0981.JPG

On the final day we had a practical 'exam' where we demonstrated what we had made and learnt through the week.

Throughout the course the instructors were always on hand and were very approachable and knowledgeable. Although the weather was bad the excellent food kept everyone's spirits up and there was also a plentiful supply of tea and biscuits to keep us going up till 'cake' time in the evening :)

In addition to the confidence in living outdoors this course has given me, I have now developed an interest in plant id and woodcarving that I previously had little interest in. I can't wait to get outside again and practice!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Excellent report - brings it all back: I did this course last year and was thoroughly impressed by the professionalism of Woodsmoke.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I did the Woodlander 5 years ago and those photos bring back some good memories. (It rained then too:rolleyes: ).

A great bunch of people and a course I would recommend to anyone thinking about it.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Thanks for sharing your pictures looks like you had a great time.

Brought back many good memories from a few years ago when me and the missus did the Woodlander.

What part of Leeds you in? I'm in Roundhay, not too far from the Park.

Stu

steveme

Nov 5, 2008
Leeds
They run great courses, thanks for posting up your experience. Are you thinking of doing any more?

If I can organise it, I'm hoping to do the axe workshop at the end of the month. It's amazing how much hard work with a knife can be replaced by a few cuts of a well controlled axe.

I'd like to have a go at the abo course but I'll need to improve my skills a lot before attempting that.

steveme

Nov 5, 2008
Leeds
Just waiting for confirmation that I'm on the 28 - 31 May Axe Workshop. Did you get booked on?

Stu

I booked via the webstore - not had confirmation yet though. I guess they're out and about.

Myself and Simon (assuming we both get booked in) are planning on setting off around lunchtime from Lawnswood (our office) - I'd offer you a lift but he's driving - if you want to car pool let me know and I'll run it past him.

Hope to see you up there!

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Looks like they are running a Woodlander this week.

A lift would be handy but unfortunately I can't leave work that early. :(

With a bit of luck we have the 3 places shown as available on the website.

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE