Woodsmoke Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Hi all - I've just sent off my deposits for two courses in the summer with the lovely people at Woodsmoke in Cumbria:

Axe workshop - 24 - 27 May
Plantlore - 22 - 24 June

Is anyone else booked onto these courses? There were only two places left on Plantlore (and hopefully one is now mine!!)

:grouphug:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I've printed off the blurb and might look into that. I do love their website - I
could just spend hours and hours on it pootling about, downloading bits
and pieces and just picking stuff up.

In fact, that's pretty much what I've been doing for the last hour or so :)

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I was just looking at there site yesterday. I thought there Trailbreaker course could be good as my first real bushcrafting experience. I've red the review on this site and they look like really nice people.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
WhichDoctor said:
I was just looking at there site yesterday. I thought there Trailbreaker course could be good as my first real bushcrafting experience. I've red the review on this site and they look like really nice people.

I did the trailbreaker last June and its a nice introduction just to get a feel for things and enjoy a couple of days in lovely surroundings. Ben and Lisa and the team are great so its well worth doing :)

Jodie- look forward to seeing you there if you have booked the same course as me!!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Yes - see you there :D

My colleagues are now singing 'kumbaya' (spelling?) at me because
obviously that is what everyone sings around campfires when camping :rolleyes:

I put up with it of course as there have been a surprising number of
offers of tents and sleeping bags, and stoves! Since I'm coming
by train I wouldn't want to go crazy but my boss's four person tent
sounds nice and roomy. If I can carry it.

Jo

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Well you only really have to carry things about 30 yards or so from the Landrover to wherever you pitch your tent so not much need to worry about the weight! Stoves are not necesary as the cooking tends to be campfire beased. Have you booked Plantlore or the Axe workshop?

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Plantlore. I'm a bit scared of axes! Mind you plants can be dangerous
too :)

Amazon are in the process of sending me Roy Vickery's Dictionary of
Plant Lore - if I've room in my rucksack and it's not too heavy I might
bring it along but it's 400 pages so unless it's teeny, probably not. I'm
not bringing my pharmacognosy text book though as it weighs a ton :p

Blooming interesting nonetheless.

I'm very glad I'm going to be doing this course - the location looks lovely too.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've done a couple of their courses a few years back and they're excellent. :cool:

i'm sure you guys will have a great time. :D

cheers, and.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Harmonica said:
Thought i'd give this one a little bump as I have just paid my final payments and all places for the Axe Workshop are taken. Anyone else coming along?

:)

I'm on the axe-workshop from 24th-27th May and the bowyer course 14th-17th June.

May 25, 2006
southend on sea
hi guys/girls

last year i attended 3 woodsmoke courses namely,wildfoods, axe workshop, and bowyer, and my 2 cents are as follows :

Bowyer :

our chief instructor was Werner Pfeifer, with ben and lisa working as backups

now Werner Pfeifer is an ex professional hunter from Namibia, and he looks the part too
werner_1.jpg

we started making out the outlines of a long bow on a huge chunk of ash, and started taking the excess wood

make sure you have the best axe you can afford, its Gransfors Hunter's axe for me,
jagarensyxa.jpg

i bought it from wealddown mueseum
site_010605%20market_square_panorama.jpg
, and got Arkansas honing Stones
251f_1.JPG
from J&P Arkansas Stones, on ebay,

learnt about honing axes and knives from Mors Kochanski's book
bushcraft.gif

second day we made out arrows, and third day we practiced in the morning, and mid day went on our little own shooting trip on the estate land. no animals were killed but Werner Pfeifer was in his element, a hunter to the core
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Axe workshop :

chief instructor was Ben Orford, with our Ben and lisa working as backups

i said our Ben and lisa, reason being, they dont act like instructors but they both become your friends, and teach you like thety know us for a longtime

first day starts with axe usage and sharpening, followed by spoon making, u are shown how to select wood too, followed by making a backwoods wooden saw and then we jump into making bowls and plates

in between Ben is all around checking out your axe safety, no compromise there and he wont let you go till you are using your axe the correct way

usage of other wooden tools is also taught, that we will be using the next 2 days

On the last day, we go into felling trees, and Steve Smith, who by the way is an ex forestry employee, takes you through the process. The you get to fell a couple of trees and actually limbing, splinting and sectioning

we carved fire sticks, and were taught how to split the wood into 36 sections, Ray Mears style, by Ben Mcnutt

again make sure you have the best axe and honing stones you can get, and reading Mors Kochanski would be a great help

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wildfoods :

our instructors were ben and lisa

ben is and encyclopedia on wildfoods, and how to cook them, amongst other things

first night, he puts down the rules of the camp, and takes you around the site.

they have 2 campsite, a lower and upper site, i like the upper site, its next to a tiny lake with plenty of tout in it, take your spinning or fly rod, and ask ben before you cast your fly. they work on a catch and release policy

i always camped next to the lake and the waking up early morning is a pleasure

second day, we went on a short walk, ben started with plant identification and their uses, if possible have "Food for free" by richard mabey with you, and we gathered wild onions, mustard, thime etc

when we were back lisa had brought tons of fresh trouts, mackerels, crabs, linchientiens, sols and a huge salmon,

ben showed us how to clean/prepare them and then we got our own fishes crabs etc to cook

the trouts were prepared with the wild onions and mustard that we cooked in a hangee

and the day went on

second day again wild plant identification, preparing bannocks and soking a salmon, and skining and roasting eels

make sure you ask as many question from ben and lisa, and just dig in, these 2 are the nicest souls i have ever met.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

one last thing i started applying surgical spirit on my hands 2 weeks before the course, to harden the skin on my palms, and take a thick felt tip marker for marking on the wood

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I've done their Axe Workshop & Spring Forager (wild foods); absolutely the best people to go with, Ben, Lisa and the team are excellent - genuine, decent people with a huge amount of knowledge, experience and empathy.

(I'm not linked to them in any way, just wanted to put my two penneth forward!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE