Woodlore with red spacers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Hi guys, this is my first post.. here goes,

In the extras section of buscraft series 2 Mr Mears uses his woodlore to help fashion birch bark into a matchbox, unless my DVD player is dodgy the woodlore he was using had red spacers/liners,, I have a couple of the said knife and know of others, however never seen one with the red spacers/liners.. Can anyone shed any light on this,,

Regards,
Andy.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Is this an antler version one rather than a Maple handled one?
Only issued to Woodlore teachers I believe.

Could be a custom made one only for him even?

Cheers

Mark

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Hi Mark,

It could be antler but looked like maple, then again it could just be my DVD player, but pretty sure the liners were red, yes he could have had one made especially for him with the red liners, but why..?

If someone could have a look at the dvd just to clear up whether its my eysight or not that might help.

Andy.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Its obviously a cunning ploy to guarantee authenticity when he eventually retires and sells it on Ebay as 'Genuine Ray Mears Woodlore Knife' :D

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Maybe,.. I do however have a knife of him with the same specs as the woodlore but with a damascus blade and ironwood scales/handle, the only issue was he obviously couldnt put the woodlore stamp on it, just his normal logo. So perhaps he could be asked to make the antler version without the Woodlore logo..?

leon-1

AndyP said:
Maybe,.. I do however have a knife of him with the same specs as the woodlore but with a damascus blade and ironwood scales/handle, the only issue was he obviously couldnt put the woodlore stamp on it, just his normal logo. So perhaps he could be asked to make the antler version without the Woodlore logo..?

Andy, that is an option, the other option is get a woodlore, strip the scaless from it, get some red vulcanised fibre and some Reindeer antler. Then rescale the knife yourself or get someone else to do it for you.

Is this intended to be a working knife or a show piece because I heard some nasty rumours about what happens to the antler scaled knives in hot dry conditions (the scales warp).

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
I do try and use all my knives, so no it wouldnt just sit in a cabinet...

Can only use this forum through work, so apologies but i cant reply to anything until Monday..

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Apparently, due to the way the antler is set to the tang, plus the nature of the stag antler itself, you are more likely to wreck the blade/tang while trying to re-handle in stag because of the unpredictability of the bone pattern. The maker usually has spare blades (2) on standby when applying antler slabs, hence the cost.

Here is a pic of a genuine Alan Wood stag handled Woodlore. The quality of the stag used in these knives is the highest quality I have seen. I know Stuart Marsh did a limited number of stag knives, and the quality of the antler was many miles away from Alan Woods. It seems Ray Mears is using red spacers now to give his personal knives some individuality from the other Woodlore instructers, although he used to have black spacers too, and before that maple.

rmwood001.jpg

rmwood002.jpg

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Thanks for the info, sad I know but if you look closely throughout the second series Ray generally uses "his" antler version of the woodlore,. as mentioned earlier Mr Wood has made me a damascus variation of the woodlore, I plan on askin him to make me a antler version, obviously omitting the woodlore stamp as before,,

Nice knife by the way,, is it yours,,.? :cool:

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
Hi all. Great little thread this.
Here’s some interesting info for you, straight from an exchange I had with Alan recently.
‘I didn't use liners on the Woodlore knives with the exception of two I made as a gift for Ray's wedding from his staff. These had a red, white and blue combination.’

Interesting stuff.
All the best,
Briar ✌️

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
That's cool, thanks for taking the time to post it Briar goodjob
No worries. I only had the conversation with Alan as I was asking him about the Woodlore, as I currently have one on order from him.
It’s going to be a little bit special, and a true one off.

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
Hi there Hog.
Do you mean a Ray Mears / Alan Wood, so an actual Woodlore, or what is essentially a very similar knife, made after the collab with Ray, which I think are most often referred to as a Alan Wood Woodlore profile. ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE