Woodlore knives......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Perhaps it's because Uncle Ray hasn't made a bushcraft-based television series for quite a while now... Has the general public forgotten him or are they more interested in 'Masterchef'?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So they're wanting £450 for the SWC ones now? I expect thats why.... price hike..... don't think they were that expensive before...

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
The SWC knives are not worth that money , if it wasn't for the RM etch they are just another clone that plenty of us small fry makers can easily make, money is tight for most at the moment and nobody wants to throw it away.
I'm not slagging SWC's knives just stating a fact , its not an Alan Wood and they are not fetching the money they used to.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I consider myself an avid Bushcrafter, but £450 for ANY knife is way OTT for me. Especially when some of the makers on here are as good as, if not better than Alan Wood or SWC and can make you a bespoke item for less than half of the price of a woodlore... No celebrity bragging rights, but a knife is essentially a sharpened metal bar with a bit of material attached to make it comfy to hold...

Horses for courses

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
And you wouldn't need to wait 10 years for it !
It would be interesting to know exactly how many knives are actually on order ? Could make quite a few in 10 years.

I consider myself an avid Bushcrafter, but £450 for ANY knife is way OTT for me. Especially when some of the makers on here are as good as, if not better than Alan Wood and can make you a bespoke item for less than half of the price of a woodlore

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
I guess a bit of all - general economic doubts, quite expensive (unless you're hoping to make money as a long long term investment) especially when compared to some of our brethren's output on here and lack of background PR about how great Uncle Ray is and perhaps as Tilley said we're all buying magimix machines, to be fair at veg prep they are better but mine smashed when I tried to use it to baton a lump of ash the other day. :rolleyes:

It is interesting when they previously had a ten year waiting list. Without wishing to seem spiteful I hope it isn't affecting everyone else in the same way.

The standard SWC knives are in stock too, should have checked first doh... but the Alan Wood ones still have a 10 yr wait. Good job its not a survival knife!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
At least 3650 of them. ( working 5 days per week at 7 knives per week) ;)

It would be interesting to know exactly how many knives are actually on order ? Could make quite a few in 10 years.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
At least 3650 of them. ( working 5 days per week at 7 knives per week) ;)

(dare I say artificial) scarcity = increase in price! Its easier to make fewer and sell fewer at higher price for the same turnover with a lower cost, but please ignore that information Mark as I keep looking at your site and preparing/role playing the conversation with SWMBO.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
:D

Thats a possibility :)

Consider it ignored lol, i play fair :)

(dare I say artificial) scarcity = increase in price! Its easier to make fewer and sell fewer at higher price for the same turnover with a lower cost, but please ignore that information Mark as I keep looking at your site and preparing/role playing the conversation with SWMBO.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
(dare I say artifi.y.cial) scarcity = increase in price! Its easier to make fewer and sell fewer at higher price for the same turnover with a lower cost, but please ignore that information Mark as I keep looking at your site and preparing/role playing the conversation with SWMBO.

Git-r-dun.....spent a long day with Mr Hill yesterday.......came away with two fitted knives that are better than any swc /aw etc (imo) and made by someone we can relate to. When you see. Him work his magic from start to finish and. have used one for several months......you know youve made. the right choice :thumbup:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Git-r-dun.....spent a long day with Mr Hill yesterday.......came away with two fitted knives that are better than any swc /aw etc (imo) and made by someone we can relate to. When you see. Him work his magic from start to finish and. have used one for several months......you know youve made. the right choice :thumbup:

Wholeheartedly agree. To be present at the conception and birth of one of his knives, watching in awe at his skill and confidence is something not easily forgotten.
Virtuosos with the modesty of a Tibetan monk are few and far between.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

touched by nature

i think you will find its an artifical Wait as Alan does like to make his own design knies as well so probaby has limited the number he wants ot make for RM per year Think Alan said one year he made nothing but Woodlores and made 200 and would never do that again . you could probebly get his own Bushcraft knife the Mybush a lot quicker and possibley cheaper to for the same spec .
I made my first Bushcraft knife as a Woodlore direct copy to see hwat all the fuss was about having been out of the loop for a couple of decades and it cost £5 in materials took a while as it was all hand tools bar the drill lucky i didnt drop £700 ( was on ebay then ) as i didnt like it at all ;) gave it to my DAD lucky he has his little finger missing as it fits his hands ( has massive hands )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE