Woodland Custodianship

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I just think from a price point of view and with the way the world is heading going electric seems the way to go for most of us.
It does not surprise me that you cannot yet get what is required.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I agree; I use electric whenever I can. A lot of my coppicing is now done with electric chainsaws. I still use petrol for anything over about 8" - mainly so I can keep the batteries going for all the smaller cutting. However, electric doesn't have the power of the petrol and struggles with the bigger stuff. But, the mature tree coppicing tends to be a few larger cuts (petrol if necessary) followed by a lot of smaller cuts (battery).

Reactions: Minotaur

bearbait

The main thing, I think, is to remember that the fish evolved right alongside the beavers. In the US or UK, the story is the same.

Some BDA's will be really solid and wide because that's what the people who installed them decided was needed for that particular spot and the goals they were trying to reach.

In Australia, they do something similar with what they call "leaky weirs". They don't have beavers in that part of the world, but the leaky weirs are basically a BDA that allows water through at a slower pace so erosion is limited.

Everything is site-dependent. As you can see in this image, they needed cross-water access, so they lowered the road into the water rather keep it above. The 2nd weir upstream prevents the road from being washed out while also making a pond of sorts where marsh plants and baby fish can grow.

MzEwMDE0

Deeply incised channels are bad for everyone, and most streams are now incised to one degree or another.

Here we can see another Australian "leaky weir" being installed across a dry gulch. There's no way for the water to spread out into the flood plain after the valley has been cut so deep, so the first step is to just stop the cutting.

dGVyLTIuanBn

Here's a good picture that shows how much the stream bed has risen behind the BDA. That's a solid foot or more of sediment captured, and over a huge area. That's all nutrient-rich soil that isn't simply being washed down to the ocean.

Zy5wbmc

What I worry about is that people aren't using the lessons learned from the beavers.

Even though Australia never had beavers, they can still look to them for solutions. Beavers are the Grandmasters of water management, and their dams are proven to work for everything we could want in a dam. The further away we get from beaver dam design, like the leaky weirs you see above, the less effective and more costly the system will be.

In the US, our first BDA's were beautiful basket-weave structures anyone would be proud to have in their back garden.

PTEyMDAlMkM4MDA

We found that not only were these beautiful things harder to make, requiring nice saplings and heavy posts pounded in, but they also blew out easier in the Autumn and Winter when the rains came.

In short, we weren't really paying attention to what the beavers were showing us.

Notice how the BDA doesn't actually look like a beaver dam? Turns out, there's a reason why beavers build their dams like they do.

cG5n

Looking at the genuine beaver dam above, we can see that it's really wide at the base and tapers out as it goes up. We also see a bunch of vertical sticks that are in-line with the flow of the water.

Now, as you might have surmised, the wider base makes for a stronger structure, but what surprised everyone was how those loosely-woven vertical sticks not only reinforced the dam like the buttresses on a Great Cathedral... but also served to break up the water that was passing through the dam. No dams are watertight. Having those vertical sticks there meant that any water coming through, especially over the top during a heavy rain, would be slowed down and broken up so that it couldn't scour the stream bed at the base of the dam and undermine it.

In short, that one little observation made a world of difference.

You'll see a lot of people piling big rocks on the downstream side of their leaky weirs because they know scouring is going to happen. That costs a lot of money and even more labor, and there's no need for it at all - as the beavers have shown us.

aWxsLnBuZw

To be fair, we do have to do things a little different since we're trying to maximize the strength while minimizing our need to go out every year to repair them. Overbuilding isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have the time and money to do it. Trying to undo centuries of problems in a short timespan is perfectly reasonable, imo, since we do have the tools to build BDA's to a level that real beavers couldn't.

That doesn't mean we should ignore the little things they have to teach us, though.

If the flow of water is small enough, like with a tiny mountain tributary, there's no reason to pound posts. Beavers make dams with naught more than twigs and mud, so you can, too.

The key is in understanding the design.

Everything in the dam is small enough that a 100# beaver can move it by himself.

That means you can do it, too.

And just to show you how it's done.....

aHQ9NzI2

That's a picture of a genuine beaver dam; one of the very first built in Exmoor in some 400 years. The beavers were re-introduced to the area and they built their main dam a few dozen yards to the side. When the water backed up, it found a new path downhill and the beavers weren't having any of that nonsense.

Sure, the water's still flowing, but it's also ponding. We want the water to flow -- just slowed down and spread out. The beavers prevent deep gullies and raging torrents.

BDA's don't have to be big to make a big difference.

TE9XLmpwZw

Here we see a crew of gents taking a break after making two BDA's that are just high enough that they'll help spread the flow out onto the flood plain when the rains come. And until then, they are slowing the water down so it can soak into the ground, recharging the water table. The scrub brush on the banks will slowly be drowned out as the water soaks in, making way for willow, cottonwood and aspen... and the beavers that eat them!
Really interesting stuff about the Beavers, their dams and our man-made equivalents. Many thanks.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Thank you.

It doesn't take much to make a big difference. Here we can see one very short BDA has managed to spread out the flow of water tremendously. This is super-beneficial to the fish in the water, helping to control the temperature, but also creates habitat for spawning, feeding, or just plain hiding. And because the water is spread out over a wider area, the downstream flow is slowed enough that there's time for sediment to fall out and the water to soak in.

There's not much to that BDA. Untreated posts are a pain to pound in, but the rest of it is just whatever was there. In this case, lots of sagebrush.

A morning's work, and immediate results. You can't beat that kind of feedback!
iu

Interestingly, there are folks who will do exactly the opposite because.... reasons.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this 'style'.

Really?

By leaving the bottom open like that, all they've done is make the channel-cutting more severe. Sure, it's spreading the water out when there's a heavy rain, but think about how the speed and pressure of the floodwater is being forced down and under that wall. That's like putting your thumb over the end of the garden hose. The increased speed will eat away at the stream bed, digging it deeper, and carrying all that sediment downstream. And they installed 64 of them along a stretch of the River Pang!

I'm going to assume that they have their reasons. They say it's "cutting edge" after all. I might not understand it, but... okay. It's a good illustration of just how far away from the beaver model we can get!

iu

Talking about controlling the flow of water, let's not forget that we can also do a lot on the slopes.

Here's Ari down in Australia talking about how he's slowing the run-off and giving it time to soak into the ground by using what amounts to nothing more than firewood.

Firewood for Run-Off Control

This is an old video, so you can check out some of the newer vid to really see how much of a difference it's made!

In short, he's using short lengths of downed trees to map out the contour lines on the slope. Drawing a topographical map, if you will.

The ground is some of the nastiest hard-scrabble I've ever seen, honestly. You can hear how hard and dry it is when he scrapes the gravel aside with his boot. Sounds like a hollow drum, and not a hint of moisture in it.

By laying out the log sections like he is, the run-off from any rain is slowed down. It's not stopped, obviously, but it slowed enough that it can start to soak into the dead land. And on the uphill side of the logs, they're adding organic stuff as they can, and detritus is starting to collect.

For places that get more rain, I wonder how beneficial the log lines would be in terms of preventing erosion from clogging the streams. In Ari's case, he's getting a pitiful amount of rain and trying to hold on to every last drop. I can't imagine living in such a horrible place. Just one more reason to never go to Australia, I guess! :D

Reactions: Winnet

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The culling season is here, my yearly desprucing is best done about now. I have a few hectares that I want to keep spruce free to get a fairly rare forest type. It is half natural as nothing else but taking out spruce is done.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The culling season is here, my yearly desprucing is best done about now. I have a few hectares that I want to keep spruce free to get a fairly rare forest type. It is half natural as nothing else but taking out spruce is done.
Which species do you have/want in that forest?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I haven't written much about the wood progress lately; work goes on at a slow but pleasurable rate though :)

Working today, I realised that I take a great deal of pleasure out of our 'scrub land' area which I've not said much about. Scrub is a very rich and valuable habitat area that is sorely missing in the UK. People think it's 'untidy'.

We have about 1 acre of land that has been left to its own devices since taken away from grazing 28 years ago, and it's developed really well. It is now mainly bramble scrub with self seeded oak, ash, sycamore and birch. Areas that I occasionally cut back quickly flower with foxglove, willow herb, mullein, and mallow to name a few. The scrub provides cover for hedgehogs, rabbits, stoats, and weasels. Then, of course, there's the birds; this year it's provided nesting for blackcaps, garden warblers, long-tailed tits, chiffchaffs and I'm sure many more species. The blossom on the bramble is currently alive with bees and other pollinators. All in all a terrific habitat that's truly buzzing with life :)

scrubland.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We had the pleasure of 'experts' join us yesterday for a survey of the wood. It was predominantly about the fungi but, as well as a county fungi recorder, we had flowering plant and mosses/liverworts experts with us. It was a foul morning, so we got soaked and cut the session short - of course, then, the sun came out.

There were a few new species of fungi, and a few taken away to be identified (yep, even experts have difficulty with the subject). However, there were 10 species of liverwort and 49 species of moss! It would have taken us years to identify those, if we ever could, and the guy reckoned he could double that count if he returns on a better day.

My point being, if you get the chance, get some experts in to give you a boost with your biodiversity surveys - I learnt a great deal yesterday and it was fun.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Well it's that time of year again where I wonder around the woods with a chainsaw looking for victims. Firewood mainly. Firstly cut up some fallen branches and then onto the worst affected ash. Sadly, even the couple of small trees that didn't show many outward signs of die back still had mottling on the cut stump so bad dieback. Plenty to replenish the lock stacks even though I've not used much in this warm weather.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
On that point, I completed a LANTRA tree safety assessment course last week :)
Interesting, did you need any qualifications before you could do the course? Could you provide some more details such as time it took, what you needed to do and a rough cost of possible?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Interesting, did you need any qualifications before you could do the course? Could you provide some more details such as time it took, what you needed to do and a rough cost of possible?

No, no quals; it is the basic level course (Basic Tree Survey and Inspection). It only takes a day with most of it in the classroom then a practical walking around a local woodland. We finished off with a group 'test' where we were required to discuss and offer actions for a number of scenarios presented in text and photos.

The emphasis was on observation, keeping records of surveys, and referring to more highly qualified expertise when there were issues that were out of our level of training.

I don't suppose I learnt a huge amount TBH, but I think it shows 'due diligence' for managing my woodland.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I haven't done much this year, the normal spruce culling and firewood collecting. There are some areas that could use some general cleaning but did not quite have the energy to start it.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
There are a number of us that are fortunate enough to own or have responsibility for small woodlands, and, I suspect, even more of us that would aspire to. So based on the conversations in other threads I thought it might be useful to start a thread where we can discuss some of the delights, problems, issues and, hopefully, solutions to being the custodian of woodland from the viewpoint of the owners and the users of woods. After all, the woods were here before we were and will be here long after we've gone; we have a duty to do our best for them :)

Topics we could discuss (but without limits) could be:

- bio-diversity analysis and plans
- invasive species problems
- experience of and dealing with tree threats (such as ash die-back)
- camp sanitation
- camp layout and structure
- woodland resources and uses at less than full commercial level
- and, of course, some just plain discussions on the pure pleasure we get from the woods :)
Thanks and what a privilege to own something as special as this I’m envious.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
We get a lot of trees blown down round here that are covered in ivy. One of the tree surgeons says the ivy acts like a huge sail and catches more wind.
On the whole I like the ivy. It's full of life, and it's evergreen too. Mine's just about to fill up with fat fruits, so it'll be full of woodpigeons just shortly :roll:
Daft things, cute but pretty gormless, if very determined to guzzle.

M
Shoot them n eat them they are damn tasty

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
We have a small woodland, most of which was planted when we moved here. Alder, aspen, beech, field maple, hazel, rowan, sweet chestnut, goat willow, oak, ash, scots pine, wytch elm, hornbeam etc.
We have had some losses to squirrels and while we have both muntjac and roe deer their numbers are not high enough for them to be a concern. Ash die back has been a great loss for us as most of the pre-existing woodland when we moved here was oak and ash.
we also have a small orchard of old varieties of apples, pears and quince.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's a good mix :)

It's mainly the young saplings and stuff up to about 30 years old that's succumbing to ash dieback with us; the big old mature trees aren't showing signs yet but, I suspect, that's just a matter of time.

The loss of ash is a huge negative for bio-diversity in ancient woodland. There's not much we can replace it with that fits the niche. There are a number of lichens that will only grow on ash because of the PH level of the bark for example. But, the big loss is its short leafing period that allows lots of light to the woodland floor in spring and autumn even if there's total canopy cover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE