Woodland Custodianship

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sometimes the plan goes out of the window due to weather, other draws on my time (such as the missus' hip op) and 'events'. In this case the high winds we've had. I'll post about some of the damage in the large wood later but, this oversized game of pick-up-sticks may amuse:)

ash - 1.jpg

These are all youngish ash. The largest is about 200mm diameter and they've been uprooted by a gust. Unfortunately, they are at the bottom of a 30 deg slope covered in bramble. I do nearly all this work on my own and, not only is it tiring, but I am constantly carrying out the 'what if?' safety assessments.

First task was to clear a route down and around the fallen trees with the bush-cutter. Not at all easy as the trailing bramble contrives to trip you at every step and throw you down the slope. This is no time to lock the bush-cutter throttle on; I need it to stop spinning if I fall!

ash - 2.jpg

Once a safe and clear access was cut I needed to cut and winch the trees up the slope. The trees were at right-angles to the direction I needed to winch and there was no clear path so I had to use a pulley to offset the direction - this meant doing each tree in two stages, and more walking up and down the greasy clay wet slope; by now it was like a toboggan run :(

ash - 3.jpg

The winch was secured to a large tree at the top of the slope and I brought the cut trees up one by one. The winch is too heavy to cart up and down the slope so that stays at the top and the pulley used to change direction as needed.

ash - 4.jpg

First one up! :) - notice the use of a tightening/choking chain. This device, if you've not used one, makes the job much quicker, easier, and safer. It also prevents your winch rope getting worn on the ground.

ash - 5.jpg

All up :)

ash - 6.jpg

Unfortunately, not quite the end of the job. I now had to move the winch part way down and above my access track above the slope to pull the trunks up to where I could cut them. Still, I no longer had to go up and down the greasy slope!

A good work out :) - who needs a gym.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I had to knock over a hanging tree about a week ago. It involved the co-operation of a neighbour as it was overhanging his fence, but all it took was to saw away the branch that was holding it in place and give it a bit of a push as it had lost it's roots. It fell with a crash, just glancing the corrugated iron roof of my neighbours shed, but it is no longer a danger to anybody.

Reactions: Broch

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Well, I've finally had time to do a bit of management to my youngish woodland. One of the large Scots Pines had shed another large branch so I decided to fell the tree. That's a cube of firewood logged up and a fair bit of brash to bring back to shed to make some ericaceous compost.

This winter we've had several ash trees blown over where ADB has killed the tree and the roots have rotted off. A couple still showed signs of life last year so you don't get much time to remove them once dead. It also means they aren't much use as standing deadwood and I'll be a bit more ruthless this year.

Reactions: British Red

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
I'll kick off by asking what other owners/users have arranged for camp sanitation for a camp that's used frequently?
If it’s used regularly and frequently,I think long drop composting toilets on rotation is the way to go. With my woodland (and it’s infrequent use) I’m using 2 x port-a-potties into bio-degradable food compost bags with an handful of sawdust and these get tied up and thrown on my 300litre composting bin.

Reactions: nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE