Woodland Custodianship

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A properly managed coppice looks absolutely fantastic. The alder coppice on the local fen is well managed on the whole. I did see a very big old hazel stool up there, and I mean it was HUGE. the poles were 15/16 inches instead of 5 or 6 as per usual. Looking at it was as if I was reduced in size to amidget and looking at a normal one. Never seen anything like it. Must of been cut before the falkland war. What astonishes me is the fashion you see in a lot of woodland to thin out small saplings/brash etc....and just leave it there piled up as afire hazard. It just looks sloppy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A properly managed coppice looks absolutely fantastic. The alder coppice on the local fen is well managed on the whole. I did see a very big old hazel stool up there, and I mean it was HUGE. the poles were 15/16 inches instead of 5 or 6 as per usual. Looking at it was as if I was reduced in size to amidget and looking at a normal one. Never seen anything like it. Must of been cut before the falkland war. What astonishes me is the fashion you see in a lot of woodland to thin out small saplings/brash etc....and just leave it there piled up as afire hazard. It just looks sloppy

LOL, it's a recommended way of dealing with it; but I know what you mean. Burning a lot of it is not good, chipping a lot of it and putting it down suffocates the woodland floor, so making dry hedges or brash piles as wildlife cover are alternative options.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL, it's a recommended way of dealing with it; but I know what you mean. Burning a lot of it is not good, chipping a lot of it and putting it down suffocates the woodland floor, so making dry hedges or brash piles as wildlife cover are alternative options.
But I also see heaps of logs cut into rounds and just left there to rot. some even stacked into cords. At least that could be used for fire wood?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
But I also see heaps of logs cut into rounds and just left there to rot. some even stacked into cords. At least that could be used for fire wood?

Rotting logs are a fantastic habitat for hundreds of species of invertebrates and fungi as well as hibernating reptiles and amphibians; arguably burning them is the waste :). In conservation terms 'tidy' is not usually good. It really does depend on what the purpose for managing the woodland is.

There are three basic 'pillars':

- commercial - fuel, craft material, timber production ...
- recreational - courses, 'forest bathing', public access for walking ....
- conservation - creating the optimum mixture of habitats for wildlife

My own priority is conservation, then material extraction (in a very small scale), and finally recreational. Other people have different priorities.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Recreation is a strong priority for me, more than that, it is essential for my mental health in that planting and conserving trees gives me purpose and hope for a future after I am gone. Our Council is not very kind to trees, and despite their stated policies I regard them as poor custodians, cutting down as much as they plant, or so it seems, which is why I continue to plant on my untouchable patch. I have recently received another pack from the Woodland trust, that are marking time on my allotment while I get round to planting them in their eventual home.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Recreation is a strong priority for me, more than that, it is essential for my mental health in that planting and conserving trees gives me purpose and hope for a future after I am gone. Our Council is not very kind to trees, and despite their stated policies I regard them as poor custodians, cutting down as much as they plant, or so it seems, which is why I continue to plant on my untouchable patch. I have recently received another pack from the Woodland trust, that are marking time on my allotment while I get round to planting them in their eventual home.

Oh, I cannot put a value on the woodland for my own wellbeing, and I do run occasional courses and have visits from groups; there's just no 'public access so it can't be classified as a public amenity .

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Have you read 'Wilding' by Isabella Tree? Some useful info in there :)

This is interesting reading:

And I've put other resources up on our brand new (and very basic) website:
www.Mont-HMG.co.uk
Some great information here Broch, thank you.
Plenty to read on your website too.

I think it's fascinating to learn the timelines of trees seeding and colonisation. It's very easy to walk past trees and take them for granted. It's worth remembering they don't do much in a hurry!
That puts humans in perspective for me.
Custodian is a good word. A distinction from owner.
In terms of landscape and woodland we are here for a moment.

Leaving a legacy of care, hopefully, both instilled in others, ourselves, and in the landscapes we share is a fine thing.

Reactions: Broch

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Anyone playing with Beaver Dam Analogues to help drown out invasive species, increase biodiversity, and raise the water tables? I know beavers were only just re-introduced to the UK, to much fanfare and success, but there seems to be little discussion of using BDA's where there aren't beavers yet.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
We will need a few more batteries to keep going for a day and a way of charging down in the wood - some kind of inverter on the ATV probably (but that would mean having the ATV engine running which kind of defeats the idea of quiet operation).
It might be worth looking into something from Bluetti.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Anyone playing with Beaver Dam Analogues to help drown out invasive species, increase biodiversity, and raise the water tables? I know beavers were only just re-introduced to the UK, to much fanfare and success, but there seems to be little discussion of using BDA's where there aren't beavers yet.
I've never heard of them before, but looking up some images just now, some of them look like they'd create quite significant migration obstacles. And I'm not sure the paddlers would be too keen either. :) Do you know if there are any mitigation in place for migrating fish as part of the BDA approach?

Here, leaving trees to partly obstruct the flow of water in rivers, in order to slow it down and create more diverse habitats has recently come into favour.

Reactions: VaughnT

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
... look like they'd create quite significant migration obstacles. And I'm not sure the paddlers would be too keen either. :) Do you know if there are any mitigation in place for migrating fish as part of the BDA approach?

Here, leaving trees to partly obstruct the flow of water in rivers, in order to slow it down and create more diverse habitats has recently come into favour.
Oooh, don't get me started talking about BDA's!!

To the fish question - they actually don't hamper migration. As weird as that sounds to say, as contrary as you'd think that is, they actually don't bother the fish at all. In the Western US, there's a saying that beavers taught the salmon how to jump.

In the UK, they've done quite a few studies on reintroduced beavers and found that fish populations are actually higher after the beavers build their dams.

The dams create a plethora of currents downstream because the water leaks out slowly an in different spots. They aren't solid masses, so fish can pick and choose which current best suits them as they wiggle their way through the things.

The BDA's mimic the real beaver constructions as best we can. Even little things like having the branches sticking out on the downstream side was found to be very important because it prevented scouring at the base of the dams, and the subsequent blowouts, while also forcing the water to tumble - thus aerating it and improving the balance of nitrogen, etc. Very happy fish, birds, and bugs are the result!

As you note, the woody structures slow the pace of the water. This is great for giving it time to seep into the ground, restocking the water table. It also creates cleaner, clearer water because slowing the flow down allows sediment to fall out. Thus, you stop pollution and erosion.

There are many cases where a few BDA's along an incised stream were able to slow the flow enough that they raised the stream bed 3' per year until it finally reunited with its flood plain.

Contrary to popular belief, BDA's don't have to cross the entire stream. Like natural beaver dams that blow out during high rain events, you can use partial BDA's to force the water to the side, increasing sinuosity in the flow of the river and thus slowing it down. Creating meanders in the stream makes it prettier, increases habitat variation, and betters the fish, birds and bug populations.

Nl8wMDYuanBn

By spreading out the flow of water, you can help restock the water table, enrich the soils of the flood plain, kill non-native species that often encroach onto territory that's now too dry for native plants, and increase the overall health of the ecosystem.

bnNlcy5wbmc

One of the important things to remember, and a problem we share here in the States, is that your entire ecosystem evolved with the Beavers. When the beavers were eradicated in the UK, it caused a cascading collapse because beavers are what is known as a Keystone species. The habitat they build is crucial for everything else in the food chain.

It's really weird to try wrapping your mind around, I know. Even though you've been to place you think are pristine wilderness, they are really not. Nobody alive today has ever seen Britannia as it's supposed to be.

Here's a picture of one of the first beaver dams to be built in England in over 400 years. Pretty cool, huh?

cGc

Here's a nice little dam and pond in the Devon Valley where beavers have gotten stuck in and are being watched.

dz05OTImaD03NDQ

This river bottom was once just a channel that drained the water out of the whole region just as fast as gravity could make it happen. It wasn't supposed to be that way, but the beavers haven't been there for 400 years.

As soon as they were returned, they got to work and the actual natural state of England responded accordingly. This is what the land is supposed to look like. This is what it looked like for millennia.

Beaver Dam Analogues aren't nearly as good as real beaver buildings, but they go a long way towards bettering the environment both upstream and downstream of where we stick them in.

The downside is that BDA's require work on our part. We build them and we maintain them. We've got to get our hands dirty rather than leaving it up to the beavers.

The upsides, though, far outweigh the downsides. Even when a BDA gets broken by a storm, the remains still serve a valuable purpose in the local ecology and can help to both shape the waterway and clean it.

Of course, that also means you have to get back in there to either repair it or install a newer, better one.

For a small-time land owner or custodian, the principals of the BDA can be used to mitigate runoff and the development of gullies. Slowing the water down with even something as simple as a swale made from downed tree sections will trap sediment on the uphill side and slow runoff so it had time to sink into the ground.

If you have a little stream running through your property, installing a few BDA's along its length will pay huge dividends in just one season as they raise the bed, aerate the water, and create variations in the current strengths that are better suited for various fish and bugs.

Here's short BBC documentary on the beavers that were returned to one small study area.... Happy British Beavers Beavering Away!!!

As for fish getting through... the beavers are happy to build little sluices for them....

It's not either or....

Regarding the paddlers.... well, phooey on them, I say.

I like canoeing as much as the next guy... and I hate portaging. That said, we can't get beavers or BDA's everywhere we need them. There can be some give and take. And, really, the best place for BDA's isn't in the big waters that people like to paddle around it. By then, the water usually has too much power, especially in the rainy season.

Instead, we should be focusing our efforts up in the tributaries, the small streams and creeks that are just trickles. These are the guys that suck the water out of the highlands, and it's exactly where we need to concentrate our efforts if we want to see the benefits of slower, cleaner water hitting the lowlands and valley bottoms.

It's really easy to build a handful of BDA's along a trickle you can step across. And because these tiny runs don't get the huge volumes of runoff seen in the bigger waters, a few small BDA's can be built in a weekend and make a tremendous difference.

Plus, it's just fun to build dams. If beavers can do it without chainsaws and heavy equipment, any human should be able to as well. It's just a matter of strapping on the boots and getting at it.

Great project to get the kids involved with, too.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Oooh, don't get me started talking about BDA's!!

To the fish question - they actually don't hamper migration. As weird as that sounds to say, as contrary as you'd think that is, they actually don't bother the fish at all. In the Western US, there's a saying that beavers taught the salmon how to jump.

In the UK, they've done quite a few studies on reintroduced beavers and found that fish populations are actually higher after the beavers build their dams.

The dams create a plethora of currents downstream because the water leaks out slowly an in different spots. They aren't solid masses, so fish can pick and choose which current best suits them as they wiggle their way through the things.

The BDA's mimic the real beaver constructions as best we can. Even little things like having the branches sticking out on the downstream side was found to be very important because it prevented scouring at the base of the dams, and the subsequent blowouts, while also forcing the water to tumble - thus aerating it and improving the balance of nitrogen, etc. Very happy fish, birds, and bugs are the result!

As you note, the woody structures slow the pace of the water. This is great for giving it time to seep into the ground, restocking the water table. It also creates cleaner, clearer water because slowing the flow down allows sediment to fall out. Thus, you stop pollution and erosion.

There are many cases where a few BDA's along an incised stream were able to slow the flow enough that they raised the stream bed 3' per year until it finally reunited with its flood plain.

Contrary to popular belief, BDA's don't have to cross the entire stream. Like natural beaver dams that blow out during high rain events, you can use partial BDA's to force the water to the side, increasing sinuosity in the flow of the river and thus slowing it down. Creating meanders in the stream makes it prettier, increases habitat variation, and betters the fish, birds and bug populations.

Nl8wMDYuanBn

By spreading out the flow of water, you can help restock the water table, enrich the soils of the flood plain, kill non-native species that often encroach onto territory that's now too dry for native plants, and increase the overall health of the ecosystem.

bnNlcy5wbmc

One of the important things to remember, and a problem we share here in the States, is that your entire ecosystem evolved with the Beavers. When the beavers were eradicated in the UK, it caused a cascading collapse because beavers are what is known as a Keystone species. The habitat they build is crucial for everything else in the food chain.

It's really weird to try wrapping your mind around, I know. Even though you've been to place you think are pristine wilderness, they are really not. Nobody alive today has ever seen Britannia as it's supposed to be.

Here's a picture of one of the first beaver dams to be built in England in over 400 years. Pretty cool, huh?

cGc

Here's a nice little dam and pond in the Devon Valley where beavers have gotten stuck in and are being watched.

dz05OTImaD03NDQ

This river bottom was once just a channel that drained the water out of the whole region just as fast as gravity could make it happen. It wasn't supposed to be that way, but the beavers haven't been there for 400 years.

As soon as they were returned, they got to work and the actual natural state of England responded accordingly. This is what the land is supposed to look like. This is what it looked like for millennia.

Beaver Dam Analogues aren't nearly as good as real beaver buildings, but they go a long way towards bettering the environment both upstream and downstream of where we stick them in.

The downside is that BDA's require work on our part. We build them and we maintain them. We've got to get our hands dirty rather than leaving it up to the beavers.

The upsides, though, far outweigh the downsides. Even when a BDA gets broken by a storm, the remains still serve a valuable purpose in the local ecology and can help to both shape the waterway and clean it.

Of course, that also means you have to get back in there to either repair it or install a newer, better one.

For a small-time land owner or custodian, the principals of the BDA can be used to mitigate runoff and the development of gullies. Slowing the water down with even something as simple as a swale made from downed tree sections will trap sediment on the uphill side and slow runoff so it had time to sink into the ground.

If you have a little stream running through your property, installing a few BDA's along its length will pay huge dividends in just one season as they raise the bed, aerate the water, and create variations in the current strengths that are better suited for various fish and bugs.

Here's short BBC documentary on the beavers that were returned to one small study area.... Happy British Beavers Beavering Away!!!

As for fish getting through... the beavers are happy to build little sluices for them....

It's not either or....

Regarding the paddlers.... well, phooey on them, I say.

I like canoeing as much as the next guy... and I hate portaging. That said, we can't get beavers or BDA's everywhere we need them. There can be some give and take. And, really, the best place for BDA's isn't in the big waters that people like to paddle around it. By then, the water usually has too much power, especially in the rainy season.

Instead, we should be focusing our efforts up in the tributaries, the small streams and creeks that are just trickles. These are the guys that suck the water out of the highlands, and it's exactly where we need to concentrate our efforts if we want to see the benefits of slower, cleaner water hitting the lowlands and valley bottoms.

It's really easy to build a handful of BDA's along a trickle you can step across. And because these tiny runs don't get the huge volumes of runoff seen in the bigger waters, a few small BDA's can be built in a weekend and make a tremendous difference.

Plus, it's just fun to build dams. If beavers can do it without chainsaws and heavy equipment, any human should be able to as well. It's just a matter of strapping on the boots and getting at it.

Great project to get the kids involved with, too.
Thanks for the extra information! I’ve got a fair amount of experience in that and related fields, but it’s always nice to catch up with current trends. Some of the BDAs I saw photos off looked really wide and solid, so impenetrable and too wide to jump, with no fish passages either side, but that’s good to know that that isn’t the norm.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Real beaver dams sometimes catch quite a lot of fish, I have seen crows and mewing gulls waiting for the unlucky jumper.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
The main thing, I think, is to remember that the fish evolved right alongside the beavers. In the US or UK, the story is the same.

Some BDA's will be really solid and wide because that's what the people who installed them decided was needed for that particular spot and the goals they were trying to reach.

In Australia, they do something similar with what they call "leaky weirs". They don't have beavers in that part of the world, but the leaky weirs are basically a BDA that allows water through at a slower pace so erosion is limited.

Everything is site-dependent. As you can see in this image, they needed cross-water access, so they lowered the road into the water rather keep it above. The 2nd weir upstream prevents the road from being washed out while also making a pond of sorts where marsh plants and baby fish can grow.

MzEwMDE0

Deeply incised channels are bad for everyone, and most streams are now incised to one degree or another.

Here we can see another Australian "leaky weir" being installed across a dry gulch. There's no way for the water to spread out into the flood plain after the valley has been cut so deep, so the first step is to just stop the cutting.

dGVyLTIuanBn

Here's a good picture that shows how much the stream bed has risen behind the BDA. That's a solid foot or more of sediment captured, and over a huge area. That's all nutrient-rich soil that isn't simply being washed down to the ocean.

Zy5wbmc

What I worry about is that people aren't using the lessons learned from the beavers.

Even though Australia never had beavers, they can still look to them for solutions. Beavers are the Grandmasters of water management, and their dams are proven to work for everything we could want in a dam. The further away we get from beaver dam design, like the leaky weirs you see above, the less effective and more costly the system will be.

In the US, our first BDA's were beautiful basket-weave structures anyone would be proud to have in their back garden.

PTEyMDAlMkM4MDA

We found that not only were these beautiful things harder to make, requiring nice saplings and heavy posts pounded in, but they also blew out easier in the Autumn and Winter when the rains came.

In short, we weren't really paying attention to what the beavers were showing us.

Notice how the BDA doesn't actually look like a beaver dam? Turns out, there's a reason why beavers build their dams like they do.

cG5n

Looking at the genuine beaver dam above, we can see that it's really wide at the base and tapers out as it goes up. We also see a bunch of vertical sticks that are in-line with the flow of the water.

Now, as you might have surmised, the wider base makes for a stronger structure, but what surprised everyone was how those loosely-woven vertical sticks not only reinforced the dam like the buttresses on a Great Cathedral... but also served to break up the water that was passing through the dam. No dams are watertight. Having those vertical sticks there meant that any water coming through, especially over the top during a heavy rain, would be slowed down and broken up so that it couldn't scour the stream bed at the base of the dam and undermine it.

In short, that one little observation made a world of difference.

You'll see a lot of people piling big rocks on the downstream side of their leaky weirs because they know scouring is going to happen. That costs a lot of money and even more labor, and there's no need for it at all - as the beavers have shown us.

aWxsLnBuZw

To be fair, we do have to do things a little different since we're trying to maximize the strength while minimizing our need to go out every year to repair them. Overbuilding isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have the time and money to do it. Trying to undo centuries of problems in a short timespan is perfectly reasonable, imo, since we do have the tools to build BDA's to a level that real beavers couldn't.

That doesn't mean we should ignore the little things they have to teach us, though.

If the flow of water is small enough, like with a tiny mountain tributary, there's no reason to pound posts. Beavers make dams with naught more than twigs and mud, so you can, too.

The key is in understanding the design.

Everything in the dam is small enough that a 100# beaver can move it by himself.

That means you can do it, too.

And just to show you how it's done.....

aHQ9NzI2

That's a picture of a genuine beaver dam; one of the very first built in Exmoor in some 400 years. The beavers were re-introduced to the area and they built their main dam a few dozen yards to the side. When the water backed up, it found a new path downhill and the beavers weren't having any of that nonsense.

Sure, the water's still flowing, but it's also ponding. We want the water to flow -- just slowed down and spread out. The beavers prevent deep gullies and raging torrents.

BDA's don't have to be big to make a big difference.

TE9XLmpwZw

Here we see a crew of gents taking a break after making two BDA's that are just high enough that they'll help spread the flow out onto the flood plain when the rains come. And until then, they are slowing the water down so it can soak into the ground, recharging the water table. The scrub brush on the banks will slowly be drowned out as the water soaks in, making way for willow, cottonwood and aspen... and the beavers that eat them!

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
When beaver was reintoduced into Finland they brought in animals from Norway and Canada. The problem is they are not the same species even though they look very alike.

Canadian cousin is much more prolific dam builder and in some areas that is causing some trouble. Generally I agree though that beaver dams enrich the environment.

Tributary

May 3, 2021
Herefordshire
Hi Broch, bit late for replying regarding the mill, but here's my experience. I have a chainsaw mill, which I've used to great effect on anything from garden Leylandii to Oak and Ash. There are several pointers I'd give to make milling easier as it's thoroughly backbreaking work at times.

Firstly, make sure you get yourself a couple of decent ripping chains and a milling bar. The chains are narrow in kerf (reducing wastage) and sharpened at 10 degrees or so. They really 'pull' into the cut and you'll tell when they're getting blunt as you'll need to start pushing.

To help it along, I've fitted a hand winch and pulley to my mill, which takes a lot of effort away from the process. See here for ideas...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnzu5h2x-is

It's quite important to keep the cut open after the mill has passed through, so I use thin wedges (maximum of an inch at its thickest point) to tap in behind the bar as I go along. If you nip the bar then it'll overheat... you'll be dealing with steam and smoke as well as sawdust!

I can highly recommend the use of a respirator in addition to the usual safety attire. The fumes and dust can give you grief if you don't protect yourself. The fact that your face is very close to the saw's exhaust doesn't help either!

We took in excess of 50 tonnes of Ash out of the woods last year, and more like 70 this year I think. All of this was done on fairly steep slopes using the horse logger and his team to bring the trunks down to the roadside from where they'll be milled and/or sold as firewood. I think our horse logger charges around £150/day for a couple of weeks work, which is well worth it. The local chap with a portable mill will charge £350/day or so, and he'll get through a dozen 12ft trunks in a day without issue. The boards will the be used for furniture or floorboards, which will sell for considerably more than the Ash destined for firewood!

Reactions: Minotaur and Broch

Tributary

May 3, 2021
Herefordshire
I think electric saws have their place, but I've not seen one with enough power to push a ripping chain on 36" bar. Its a shame really as a large electric saw would lend itself well to a mobile mill.

Reactions: Minotaur

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE