Woodgas Stove

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Just put together a simple woodgas stove using a couple of tins from Morrisons. Results have been very good with a 60 minute burn from a very small load of wood. Once it had warmed up and got going well, the woodgas effect was evident from the top holes, although I have just ordered some flue putty which will seal the joint between the inner and out cans and prevent any gases leaking away.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I posted a couple of videos on Youtube:

Woodgas Stove – Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqmIEHMqtUo

Woodgas Stove – Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlmZg-h973Y

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's brilliant, you can clearly see the woodgas igniting around the edge. I need to pull my finger out and make one myself. The BushCooker/Buddy is great, but I'd like to build a bigger version. Yours is superb.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Thanks for the comments - I was really surprised by the amount of heat that it generated and the burn time from the small amount of wood. I hope to see an improvement with the gas when I seal the join between the 2 cans. Might get to play properly play with it next weekend!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The amount of heat that they chuck out is amazing. The thing I love about them, is the lack of smoke once they are going.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The flames died a couple of times and it smoked horrendously - just blew on it and it re-ignited and burnt without smoke for the rest of the time.

I cobbled one together (apologies to Cobblers :)) yesterday out of a large dogfood tin and a smaller tin, and used a church key(?) tin opener to make holes, will try that putty.

I found the flames died out too, blew on it and it was fine. But when the billy can is on top it kicked out more white smoke than the Vatican. Probably not enough holes.

Top Tip; wash the dogfood tin out properly, it smelled horrific.

Will knock together an improved version.

Apr 21, 2010
highland
i like to make everything pull together. so to speak... for time my staple travel food is cocoa - has more protein than fresh beef allegedly (ref: kephart). powder makes the lightest, smallest carry. here in highland its normal you dont have to carry water! skimmed milk is not so good. full fat or ewes milk might be used but easiest to get is good old sma baby milk! this also has extensive mineral and vitamin supplement......SO.. i' have a lot of the 900g red tins. for ages i've been wanting to use one to make a stove, i've got various stainless schemes on the go but don,t have adequate tooling etc to make my bits work (!). if been collecting soo many pots and tins for years. this easter..YEEHA, an easter egg gift came in a small tin thomas the tank engine bucket! putting it on the tilt it passes through the top of the sma tin. horizontal it rests perfectly on the lip!!! such a bucket could be formed with a riveter from scrap sma tins. following youtube stylee, zen stove stylee wood gas stove pattern i've come down to a potstand height of approx. 1"+, also cut from sma tin this is a split ring i form with cut down stainless spokes anda vey small fish can in the middle. this ends up rigid enough ican open and close it to stand over the main sma tin while its burning- even with a mug resting on top. as back up i have a choice of meths burners i have military and civvi trangias but now have a brasso tin one filled with wire wool (ive had to cut it down to keep enough core heat it stays alight when the laphroaig box lid primer tray goes out.) also a handy tin for a burner- vo5 texturising gum!!! (hate the product love the tin!) its ally with a screw cap.its biggest fault is its lightness of guage once first burnt i couldnt open it without distorting the tin! the biggest reason for so much detail? - the meths burner in the gasifier puts out collossal heat! with double gasification. jet holes on the bucket- about 4mm, inlet on the sma alternate 4 and 8mm. all meths burner jets, the point of a needle - not the diameter of the needle. smaller jets, higher pressure, higher heat. oh, theres a tin lid too...go to jewsons they have tins of too thin cutting discs, the lid fits. this rig seems more sensible than most ive seen you have open fire, wood stove, no chimney stack, big billy size - so lies nicely between afull on woodstove and a mess kit. it can smoke little enough that i can be in my canvas tent. no sparks too. Sori im not clever enough to load piccies! illegitimi non carborundum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE