woodgas stove trial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ok I was just putting wood chips in that hardly went above the fire pan in the bottom
e5uqyrep.jpg

Sent from somewhere?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
When I do mine and how I believe they are supposed to be used is to fill them with pencil to little finger sized pieces of wood that are about 25mm long, fill to just under the top inner holes then light it FROM THE top, if you do this wlyou get massive burn times and a proper gasification effect

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
I received my stove a few days ago and I'm looking on using it tonight.. Probably a stupid question but are the twigs placed on the bored plate or below it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
a7unebeb.jpg

y2a7e4ez.jpg
amuby7u6.jpg
adubumur.jpg

atygehy3.jpg

So put it together, fill up, small squirt of bio-ethanol, it is lit though you can't see it initially, then you get orange flames and the once warmed up you get gasification. I used wood pellets and fluid cause I'm at home but in the woods, sticks and fat wood to start works just as well

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
After looking at the images of the little plate in position i now think it is for creating a low heat setting when in place, i have a little meths cooker with a sliding lid that creates the same sort of edge gap for the flames and heat to come through but blocks the centre

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
I see where your getting confused, the fir bowl is held off the floor by the stove itself. Once it's together the fir bowl goes down in the middle. I'd show a pic but it's a bit hot at the minute
5yne4eqa.jpg

It's really gassing now
ty4upy9u.jpg

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ahhh top tip I've Sussed the fire bowel now makes more sense. Need to have another go now..👍

Sent from somewhere?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Had another burn and was a lot more successful (forgot to take pictures)
Cheers for the quick tips and the picture step by step guide. 👍

Sent from somewhere?

Sep 24, 2012
North West
Mine too has just arrived - £13 on eBay. Very nicely made. Only doubt is whether the light welds holding the triangular pot stand legs will hold up. I can see those needing some attention before long.

Lit first time with just dried but still dampish sticks from dead branches; kindling was dried gorse. The only accelerant was a dab of vaseline applied to a cotton ball - watch your fingers! A good tip I spotted on Bivouak Bob's videos. So, no kitty litter. My only advice would be to keep the twig diameter small 1cm maximum. Then it is easy to feed the fire with lots of kitty litter sized pieces and they work very well. I suppose it is the gas given off by the heated twigs that we are after and small diameter will mean greater surface area overall.

The inspired bit was to pair the wood gas burner with a small Kelly Kettle type device. Mine is an F1 Storm Kettle. The chimney effect had it burning well in no time and made a good cup of tea.

I have photos but I don't seem to be trusted to post them. Can a monitor help?

Finally, I might be able to put a debate to rest. The little dishy it comes with has nothing to do with fish, or damping flames or coddling eggs. It is to take a hexi tab or alcohol gel. The cylinder, the bottom of which has perforations and is the bottom of the hearth can be inverted. This brings the perforations closer to the top and the little dishy with gel is placed on that. Seemingly, if you have one, a Trangia burner can go inside and the stove just acts as a wind shield - just like on the Trangia set-up.

So, I would give it a full 5 stars.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Anyone tried one of these in a nesting pot. My snowpeak trek 1400 is just to small. What about the msr stowaway?

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Anyone tried one of these in a nesting pot. My snowpeak trek 1400 is just to small. What about the msr stowaway?

Fits in a 14cm Zebra like it was meant to, and if you take the steel dish out of the Zebra, a Tran 27 kettle will fit nicely in there too.

Sep 24, 2012
North West
My Chinese wood gasser fits in an old lidded Life Venture pot, 13 odd cm in diameter. It looks similar to the MSR Alpine. However, it is so snug, millimetres will count. It may be worth trying first in a shop.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
A little tip, the universal trivet from backpackinglight, podcastbob on this forum I think, will exactly fit the opening of the woodgas stove, if the pot supports break off, or if you want to support a smaller diameter pot, or Crusader.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE