woodgas stove trial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Just a quick post.
I bought a woodgas stove from Aliexpress last week, was very surprised today when it arrived only 7 days from China.
I obviously had to go and try it out so off to the woods I went with my mum for company.
She brought some venison sausages from Lidl earlier to try and we pre cooked them and got a french stick to eat while we used the stove to make a brew.

I cant believe how well this stove performed.
I filled it with sticks and then used some waxed cardboard and some split fatwood on top to get it going.
The jets only took 3mins to ignite and from then it only took 9 mins to bring 600ml of cold water to a rolling boil.........
I absolute love this stove. To the point where im going to sell my evernew titanium stove kit to make way for a larger ti pot for this stove to fit in.
It will now become my go to kit when going out instead of carrying over a kilo of methanol for just one night out.
I love it, I love it I love it.............

9y6ype3a.jpg
ujajydup.jpg
a4u8y7y3.jpg
ave5y5em.jpg
ujahavev.jpg
jana3a5e.jpg

P.s. the venison sausages were absolutely gorgeous in case anyone wanted to know.....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I was looking to buy one from Wild woodgas stoves, but at £50 it was a bit steep.
I then found a thread on here about these ones from China and decided to have a pop.
So glad i did, its a really good little stove............if only someone made one in Titanium..........

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Mine arrived from China a couple of weeks ago, only used it a couple of times but so far very impressed. Not just how well the stove works but the build quality on mine is spot on.

DSC_0142_zpspbpldlpq.jpg

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
They are good aren't they :)

I got mine of ebay a while ago for around twenty or twenty five quid and used it in anger recently on a long weekend break in a field in Kent with the British Blades guys.

Used it for brews, breakfast, lunch and dinners, using some dry tinder I took with me (well it was a wet weekend and I do have masses of dry shavings from my woodturning !) and dry twigs and wood locally on the site, and a few times with a trangia burner and meths.

Very happy with it, efficient with whichever fuel source ( I had hexi tablets with me too but didn't use them), very stable as a support for the MSR 750ml pan I keep it in and for the 14cm zebra billy I used too, whats not to like :)

Cheers, Paul

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The pan support isn't a patch on the latest original ones though.

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I love mine too. I put a mini review up on here a few weeks ago about my first experience with it using cat litter! I love the flame patterns. They are very hypnotic and relaxing to watch.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
not ever seen one in real life, does it rattle when packed up..?
looks like to many metal rings to me :)
should I just buy one and find out ????

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
It rattles no more than any other stoves I own.
Just rap them with a tea towel I use for cleaning then and it stops

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I dont use small pots though so the stand should be good enough for me.
plus if you dont fold them out they take a small cup anyway.........

will post some pics after my night tonight out to show what i mean.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
So after a trip out i have had a good try using this stove.
For 3 full hours yesterday i was lighting, filling and re lighting this stove and did not even get 500ml water to boil for a brew.
No matter what i did it would burn for 3-4 mins then go out, all the wood just turning to charcoal and not burning fully.
I was really ready to stamp on it and throw it into a bush.........i was soaked from walking in to my campsite and just wanted a hot cuppa.

Then it dawned on me i was using all Ash wood battoned down as fuel, so i decided to try some Beech wood..........

Low and behold it went up like a flame thrower and i managed to keep it going really well for over 2-1/2 hours.

Note to people using this stove........it is really wood fussy.

I will need to try other wood to see what else it like to burn but i warn you to stay away from Ash...... unless you want to make charcoal.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
So after a trip out i have had a good try using this stove.
For 3 full hours yesterday i was lighting, filling and re lighting this stove and did not even get 500ml water to boil for a brew.
No matter what i did it would burn for 3-4 mins then go out, all the wood just turning to charcoal and not burning fully.
I was really ready to stamp on it and throw it into a bush.........i was soaked from walking in to my campsite and just wanted a hot cuppa.

Then it dawned on me i was using all Ash wood battoned down as fuel, so i decided to try some Beech wood..........

Low and behold it went up like a flame thrower and i managed to keep it going really well for over 2-1/2 hours.

Note to people using this stove........it is really wood fussy.

I will need to try other wood to see what else it like to burn but i warn you to stay away from Ash...... unless you want to make charcoal.

how are you prepping the stove? they are supposed to be filled to just under the upper inner holes with small 10-15mm long pieces of wood then lit from the top. ive done this with all sorts of wood and its always worked for me. good bit of pine resin on top and it goes up lovely

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE