Wooden strap end, Viking style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
knott.jpg

This is another little thing I've been working on, and one I wanted to ask a question on. Namely, how do you sand something like this without ruining it? There's a lot of fuzzies and areas where it could do wih it but I daren't get the dremel out and I just don't get how to do that level of detail without sanding half the design flat!

Oh, it's a copy of a Viking era strap end from Jorvik (York) and it 4" long by an inch at the widest. It's from a piece of found wood I split and made this section by batoning it and whittling it flat :)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
There's a tip somewhere about using emery boards, the type for doing fingernails, and cutting them to a point for detail areas.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I keep several different size dowels in the shop, some have pointed ends like a sharpened pencil, some are shaped on one side like a clay tool. I glue sand paper to the dowels to get into tight places. Spray adhesive and thin strips of sandpaper can be made into some odd shapes.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
A piece of wire wool gently rubbed over it will remove the spikey bits and leave the design intact. Go gently and take your time. Start with the rough wire wool and finish with grade 0000. B&Q sell a small multi grade pack in the section that sells paint brushes.

Eric

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you only need to get shot of fine "hairs" or fibres, you can use a trangia burner and VERY carefully, run the job over and through the flame. You must be careful not to scorch the wood, rather, just "singe" the fibres off.
Then try polishing up with a piece of hessian or burlap from an old sack/sand bag.

I have often also used the gas stove in the same way, although:cool: .... not with the knowledge of Mrs. Badger:slap:
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE