Wooden lids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I finally started on the lids for the two Pancheons I got from the nice folk at Butter Wynd Pottery today.

I'd picked up a old hall table that had been knocked apart on the boot got a quid and the two tops were big enough to make the lids I wanted. They had been stained and varnished to look like old oak but 30 mins with the belt sander cleaned it down to bare wood which I was happy to find was quarter sawn oak.

i used alphatic glue ( which is stronger than the wood and dries waterproof ) and clamped the boards together. After a hour it was cured enough for me to sand the joint and jig saw the things into suitably sized discs. I used the disc on the table belt sander to finish the edge.

The cross bars I tacked on with the resin glue, clamped them down and after a couple of hours drilled and pegged one of the lids and nailed the other together from underneath, making sure to angle the fastenings alternately.

image.jpg1_zpspddhu9l9.jpg

Tomorrow I will trim the ends of the bars on the disc sander , fit cross handles on the tops and some sort of rim on the underneath of each to stop them slipping off. I've a bottle of food grade linseed oil from Tesco to rub on before use.

You found the same sort of lids on washing coppers, large pans and those big boiling vessels they use in brewing, I forget what they are called, mash tubs? Pine was often used it would seam, light and cheap.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Tuns! Cheers.

only had time to finish the big one today.

image.jpg1_zpsapszbeo4.jpg

image.jpg2_zpskvqmgxvq.jpg

Ive given it a good coat of food grade linseed oil. Bottom boards held on with little brass nails. Colour difference is less in real life.

if my maths was better I'd have used 5 or 6 thinner strips of wood to save materials and make it lighter.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finished the smaller one. For the underside I had to plane a vast amount off of a couple of recycled draw sides.

image.jpg1_zpssgl6iokg.jpg

image.jpg2_zpssmuabvd2.jpg

Once ive got some thin pine I'll make a direct cy of the one in the Weavers Cottage museum down in town.

hopefully I'll get to do some baking tomorrow.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
By popular demand I have rounded off the batons on the top of the larger lid to match the smaller. I think it looks better and shouldn't be noticeably weaker.

image.jpg1_zpsdiwbeqoc.jpg

Just reoiled it and the other kitchen treen.

ATB

Tom

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Very nice stuff, you know when you see something someones made and realise it has been a while since you made something and regret it, this is me right now

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for the kind words! To be honest they would be better made from a lighter wood like a pine and there was no real need for the batons on the top to be full width since the tops were made from only two planks, which would have lightened them a bit more. Still, they will last and since they will not be carried around the weight isn't really a issue.

Herself cadged some bakers yeast from ASDA today so I hope to use them tomorrow.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE