Wooden forks... worth the effort?

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Had a little discussion with some friends about wether carving a wooden fork is worth it or not.

Some of our main point:

On one hand, youd have the knife, fork, spoon set, and you cant eat an open fire steak with a spoon.

On the other, your always in danger of actually cutting into your fork mid-meal, and steak can be shoved in some bread and taste just as good.

What's your opinion? And if you have carved any it would be nice to see them.

Tom

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Work in slow progress....done with my Sak champ....
zyne5e8a.jpg

uvyzaqu3.jpg

Rougher than a badgers........ But I like it.......
"another whisky please love ......it's lookin Betta "

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's a lot of ways to get a steak into you, and other foods too, but sometimes the only civilised way to really enjoy your
scoff is with a fork you've carved yourself; done properly they can be really beautiful things, and it takes a lot of skill to do a nice one. A good two-pronger can be a really graceful thing and a great pleasure to use. :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I carve them for fun, but never really use them for eating. You can do the cut tines way, like shown above or sharpen a small forked stick too, both work. I ate some pheasant breaks with a tine craved for and it worked but it wasn't as good as a metal utensil, titanium spork is my camp eating. They're fun to carve and work for eating but not the best :).

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Had a little discussion with some friends about wether carving a wooden fork is worth it or not.

Some of our main point:

On one hand, youd have the knife, fork, spoon set, and you cant eat an open fire steak with a spoon.

On the other, your always in danger of actually cutting into your fork mid-meal, and steak can be shoved in some bread and taste just as good.

What's your opinion? And if you have carved any it would be nice to see them.

Tom

Is this a challenge? :D

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I don't use this little thing as much as I should, probably because it's just a lot easier grabbing a metal fork with longer tines and eating with that, but this was fun to carve. I particularly like the smooth and neat design due to the sanding.

vNZqxh4.jpg

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Some good points here, they may not always be practical but they are fun to carve :)

Teepee: it is now! Haha

Harvestman: they are quite narrow prongs, are they strong enough? What wood did you use?

John fenna: I like the look of those sporks, particularly the top one. Its quite shiny, what wood is that?.

think ill attempt one with my newly aquired applewood.

Clouston: good point, I however, am a cheap skate and refuse to 'fork' out for titanium tools :)

When I figure out/am allowed to post photos ill post one of my first two pronged fork.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
At best in a survival situation I could carve a spoon...when needs must et al. If I found myself ever making a fork from wood from choice I would tell the wife who in turn would happily sign the pink papers and have me carted off. Just my view and all that.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John fenna: I like the look of those sporks, particularly the top one. Its quite shiny, what wood is that?.

Oak from a Victorian piece of furniture that was on its way to the tip - I have used the wood for forks, spoons, knife scales, spatulas etc etc.
It is shiny because it had just been reoiled :)

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
3yme4evy.jpg

Theres my attempt at a spork after this discussion, made from applewood and here is a four pronged one made from ash.

pyhe4u6a.jpg

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Carving any utensil can be seen either as good practice with your knife, a pleasant diversion or the making of a useful little tool.

It can also be all three of course!

Sporks 1.jpg

I use the one at the bottom, the other two I gave away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE