Spoon knife, the sequel - Spoon knives!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Following on from an earlier thread: Spoon knife

I've now finished handling the second, more open spoon knife blade I bought from Dave Budd. This is the third blade I've had from Dave, but only the second I've managed to put a handle on. The first blade I bought I've still to decide how to handle best... but given that these two have worked out so well with so little real effort, I'm pretty sure I'll be posting some more pics of an antler handled general purpose blade fairly soon.

I really like antler as a handle material. It's tactile, warm, its as high grip as sharkskin, relatively easy to work with compared with wood (all my opinion of course) and very strong! Not to mention, I think it looks great in its natural form with very little effort required, if any at all, to bring out its natural beauty.

Anyway... enough prose, more pics:

20140501_210350_zps480a5a0d.jpg

The pair, side by side. Both antler tines were from the same antler. The shorter one closer to the crown than the longer.

20140501_210230_zps0bdc260d.jpg

I'm less happy with the second one than the first as I used a different epoxy and it hasn't gap filled as well as the other knife.

20140501_210242_zpsc351ac7f.jpg

With that said, its very firmly attached to the antler so I can't fault it for that and any problems are aesthetic not functional.

20140501_210301_zps8bbbcc17.jpg

20140501_210308_zps0b0c7449.jpg

I even carved a spoon... well... finished a spoon I'd started carving with the steak knife I modified a while back... chalk is less different to cheese than these blades to my rather poor attempt to make a spoon knife. What took me about 2 hours to rough out and fail to carve a bowl into, took me not a lot more than 20 minutes to finish with Dave's blades. Deficiencies in carving are down to me, not the knives.

20140501_210417_zpsd0f2e0fb.jpg

20140501_210424_zps0d4ae8cc.jpg

Suffice to say, I'm chuffed to bits with these and I'm looking forward to spoons aplenty. Anyone considering a spoon knife purchase in future, look no further than one of Dave's - they're they mutts!

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
As I said in the other thread, those are very nice knives. The missus has promised me that I can get one(!) for my brithday. (i'm pushing for two, a lefty and a righty!):p

I still really like the idea of a dark wood for the bolster. It's a really nice contrast to the antler. goodjob
Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE