Foraging / surviving from the land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you want to try them, even from an area that might be polluted, you really need to take a small bit of root, grow it in a bucket or basin of rainwater and just leave it in peace somewhere light to grow. The new roots, seeds, etc., will be fine, discard the original piece.
I grow 2m high reedmace in a small 15" deep pond in the front garden :) food (starch, shoots, pollen) firelighting, cordage, & basketry all in one plant :approve: useful stuff :)

cheers,
Mary

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No, all true grasses are edible. However common reeds are very effective at absorbing material from reed beds (which is why they are used in sewage treatments for example). Among the things they can absorb are heavy metals. I would be more concerned about the concentration in rhizomes than in seeds, but my point is that, whilst not toxic in and of themselves, they can become so by living in a toxic environment.

Thanks Red much appreciated info...the reeds in question aren't near any industrial sites but they are downstream of a campsite, so could be questionable...

If you want to try them, even from an area that might be polluted, you really need to take a small bit of root, grow it in a bucket or basin of rainwater and just leave it in peace somewhere light to grow. The new roots, seeds, etc., will be fine, discard the original piece.
I grow 2m high reedmace in a small 15" deep pond in the front garden :) food (starch, shoots, pollen) firelighting, cordage, & basketry all in one plant :approve: useful stuff :)

cheers,
Mary

Good info Mary....I do like Greater Reed Mace..indeed it is a very useful plant :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was under the impression that all grasses were edible...is that a wrong assumption? :confused:
All grasses arent toxic, however we aint cows. Our insides can become injured from eating too much of the outer husks of the seeds or the fibrous blades. As british red said Reed Mace to sucks up heavy metals and dioxins and then there is ergot
I am experimenting with various types of rhos/clubrush seeds, there were eaten in wales in the past. I dont know which ones or how they were cooked.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you would need to marinate her for a while :)

:rolleyes: :D
I'm told that as a very long time, non skinny, vegetarian, the meat would be tasty and juicy with nicely marbled fat :eek: :eek:
(that brings to mind another thought actually; why 'don't' people eat carnivores, generally speaking I mean.)

I think if I wanted to wander and survive, I'd find like minded and very capable people.....group dynamics are a whole other ballgame though.

Patrick M, Typha, Xylaria, Stuartf, Fergus the forager, Mark Williams, et al :D

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
(that brings to mind another thought actually; why 'don't' people eat carnivores, generally speaking I mean.)

cheers,
M

They do eat some ....what they don't eat is carnivorous mammals (we do eat snakes, crocodiles and other reptiles, also many species of carnivorous fish right up to sharks). I suspect one of the reasons is that its inefficient to farm carnivorous mammals (why feed meat to meat?) and they are fairly hard to hunt (being relatively solitary in nature)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE