wooden flowers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
spent a few hours today making wooden flowers using a shaving horse and draw-knives. I've made them before but never on the shave horse and it definitely gave me more control and by the end i was starting to get the curls I wanted. The pics aren't great (rubbish auto focus on HTC desire) but give an idea. The best ones are bigger than a fist.

Also got to try out nice wee draw-knife that I received from Biker of this parish which worked well at making tight curls :)
6226927483_7d1943b16e_z.jpg

this one is hazel
6226929135_9b812c65ce.jpg

and this from seasoned willow
6226924421_6a63ef075d.jpg

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Those look good , and I like your shave horse too
Cheers Steve, I made it a few years back on a green woodwork course up at the Beamish Museum, brilliant tool. You can just see in the pic that the back right corner split when I fitted the original leg so I had to move the leg forward and you have to sit a bit further forward. Keep saying i'm going to make a new bed but never seem to get round to it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice

I walked past a bunch of these at a country show recently, it never twigged that they were made of wood until I looked for a second time.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
nice flowers also double up as nice feather sticks.

All the early attempts were used to brew up :)

Cheers for the comments guys, Kepis I switched to the drawknife after reading your previous thread - ta for the inspiration. 100! i've got a bit of catching up to do :)
Will be teaching kids how to do this at Countryside Careers in Harrogate on Tuesday, now where's me risk assessment......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE