Wooden Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
I had a bit of time in the shed during the week sharpening my lathe gouges and thought "what's the point of just having sharp tools!? I need to use them!". So I did.

Not sure what the wood is, it was given to me by a friend. If any body knows please let me know.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Thanks for the feedback. It might be ash but there is a big contrast in the grain of the wood which doesn't come through on the photos. It might be some natural discolouration tho.

do you sell these?

I'm not selling at the moment but maybe sometime in the future. But I am glad you think it is good enough to sell!

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Thanks for the positive comments!
Bikebum, I turned the bowl, starting with the outside putting a recess in the bottom which could then be held in a chuck. I sanded the outside(I know I should be able to get a good enough finish without sanding but I'm not at that standard yet!) and applied a few coats of wax. I then turned the inside, sanded and applied a few coats of wax.
I wish I was able to carve that accurately!

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
That is some fine work for sure mate thanks for sharing it. I'd love to try turning myself one day. Lemme tell ya adze carving is a hell of a workout and skill for sure but damn fun :)

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
thanks for the positive comments!

Bikebum I am slowly convincing myself that I need an adze and can't manage to do anything without one! So there might be some carved bowls in the near future.
Hamish you should check out ebay for blanks, I was lucky a friend of mine who is big into turning gave me loads to get me started. I would love to see what you get to make this week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE