Wood carving set - which one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Hi everyone,
I had a go at a little bit of carving last night and this is how far I got:

f6803b0e.jpg

319140c0.jpg

The only tools I used were:

e25995f6.jpg

So I'm a bit stuck now lol. I'm finding it quite hard to put any detail and to do the beard.
I'd quite like to finish it off and do a few others so my question is, does anyone know of a reasonable carving set for not too much money?

Cheers :)
Tom.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's hard to cut green wood like that with precision.

I find that a chip carving knife is good for detail. Will try to remember where I got mine (from somewhere in the US).

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
oooohh my powers of impulse buying peaked when i saw this

CarvinJackT.jpg

then i read

"The handedness (right or left) of the knife should be chosen by how you carve, not necessarily by if you are left or right handed. Choose a right-handed knife if you are right handed and carve with the blade towards you. If you carve away from yourself, choose a left-handed knife. Left-handers should choose the inverse."

then i remembered i didnt know which kind of carving i did as ive never tried it....

maybe i'll stick to the starter set. on a side note whats the procedure for getting a bit of wood? do you pick a bit lying about the forest floor? do you have to leave it to dry for a set time? or is it easier to go and buy a bit from a timber merchant?

Biker

THESE don't look too shabby a deal.

And if you want to have a bit of an upgrade you could do a lot worse than THESE or even
THESE

I would avoid like the plague those mini carving tool sets you see like THESE . False economy to the extreme. I suppose they might be OK on leather but forget it on wood. Just my opinion though.

Nice start by the way. Keep at it.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i,m about 30 quid away in my paypal for the flexcut carving jack as above,..

£114 from turners retreat,...

wanted one for ages,....

Stu,..

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Well HERE you're only £20 short of the mark. Assuming you're right handed of course.

oooh cheers Biker dude!

20 quid falls within the threshhold of upsetting the Mrs by buying "more %*&*ing things and stuff!!!"

crazy really cos to placate her for my over spend, i will treat her to something costing twice that, which just adds to the spend,...

but strangly she isnt upset by that,...

but i can just print this off and blame you now so its cool and the gang,...!

Stu

Wayland

Hárbarðr
oooohh my powers of impulse buying peaked when i saw this

CarvinJackT.jpg

then i read

"The handedness (right or left) of the knife should be chosen by how you carve, not necessarily by if you are left or right handed. Choose a right-handed knife if you are right handed and carve with the blade towards you. If you carve away from yourself, choose a left-handed knife. Left-handers should choose the inverse."

then i remembered i didnt know which kind of carving i did as ive never tried it....

maybe i'll stick to the starter set. on a side note whats the procedure for getting a bit of wood? do you pick a bit lying about the forest floor? do you have to leave it to dry for a set time? or is it easier to go and buy a bit from a timber merchant?

I fell into that trap when I bought mine.

I'm right handed but prefer to cut away from myself.

I've just done a deal to swap mine for a left handed one.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
You could always save yourself £15 and get yourself the pocket jack

Nah, the pocket jack is a £35* saving on the Amazon price of the right handed carving jack.

And, with Axminster, there's the free P&P on orders over £50.

* And £45 off the recommended retail price.

Oh that's just plain evil. Like he's already between the devil and the deep blue sea already. Hehehehehheehe

You though that Steve was evil? :rofl:
I am both rock and hard place! :borgsmile .

No connection to either Amazon or Axminster etc

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just wait till his missus sees this thread after he's bought. Mrs Raikey I had nothing to do with it. The others put him up to it, honest! Hehehhehee

There's an error in there, I'm sure it should read:

Just wait till his missus sees this thread after he's bought. Mrs Raikey, that southey's got a lot to answer for!

:thinkerg: :thinkerg: :thinkerg: If in doubt, blame southey! :thinkerg: :thinkerg: :thinkerg:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nah, the pocket jack is a £35* saving on the Amazon price of the right handed carving jack.

LOLOL.... I was refering to the fact that Raikey has about £80 saved... so he'll actually have £15 hard cash in his pocket to buy something nice for his missus :lmao::lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE