wondering how winter hikers keep their feet dry?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Can't get talc now I believe.
Yes you can:

There was a period when Talc contained small amounts of asbestos but that is no longer the case.

Interestingly, however, most Talcs seem to contain some cornstarch! :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I was very surprised to learn in the internet about foot powder.

It wasn't part of my outdoor education although my great grandfather was colonial officer, my grandfather a learned shoemaker who served in WW1 and WW2 and my father walked incredibly long distances just for fun everywhere in west Europe.
My older Scout leaders did serve during WW 2 at all front lines and really nobody talked about talcum.

The stuff belongs between tube and tires of bicycles, yes, but why should it be done into the boots?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I only wear thick wool socks if I'm mostly going to be standing or sitting around. If I'm going to do a lot of hiking, I wear thin- or medium-thickness *well-fitting* wool socks and felted insoles (I have felted insoles in all my winter boots if I can att all make them fit). For me thick socks and hiking is a recipe for blisters. I can't wear liner socks because they fold my toes up in a painful way, although I've now got some injinji socks with separate toes that work OK, but generally I'm relying on single pairs of socks that are well worn in.

For glacial work (= long walk in over rough terrain and then lots of time on the ice), I bring a piece of foam mat to stand on if I'm going to be standing around in one place on the ice for a long time. The extra insulation under your boots really helps with keeping your feet warm(er).

Gaiters are great for minimising the amount of water getting in when doing quick river crossings etc, but generally I find them too much of a hassle and too warm.

You can also get those insulated yeti gaiters, they're a right pain to get on and off (you will need two people, something to pry with and hot water and you will shred your fingers in the process - great fun), but if they fit your boots and crampons they do the job.

If you don't need crampon compatible boots, you've got a lot more options and you can get warmer boots as well. Sometimes the outer sole can be surprisingly slippery on icy surfaces, despite having a aggressive lugs etc, so it's worth paying a bit of attention to that if you'll be walking a lot on ice and very compacted snow.

Reactions: Erbswurst

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'd love a pair but they're just so damn expensive!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I used to have a pair with the medium-high leg. Once broken in they were great for several years, until all of a sudden they just started causing really bad blisters. I guess my feet had changed and since they were unlined they were a lot less forgiving than padded hiking boots. Still I'd very much recommend them if they fit the shape of your feet, they certainly kept me dry on plenty of walks in boggy forests. But yes, it's a lot of money and you'll need to find a sock and insole system that fits. :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Gaiters are great for minimising the amount of water getting in when doing quick river crossings etc, but generally I find them too much of a hassle and too warm.

You can also get those insulated yeti gaiters, they're a right pain to get on and off (you will need two people, something to pry with and hot water and you will shred your fingers in the process - great fun), but if they fit your boots and crampons they do the job.

The Yeti gaiters will get you swearing if you don't know this little hack to get them on your boots.....

1. Dunk the rubber rand in a bowl of hot water for ten minutes.

2. With your boots already on your feet, step into the gaiter and pull it around the sole of your boot. Because the gaiter rand is warm, it is very pliable and cools to make a very tight seal around your boot.

In the field........

1. Put them on at home as above, failing that, with your boots on, push the toe into the gaiter.

2. Hook the rand of the gaiter in a underhand hold and pull PAST the heel of your boot BEFORE pulling it upwards onto the heel of the boot. Grip hard and pull hard and it will go on easy.

Oh.... and watch your finger tips when you let go of the rand, you wouldn't want to get your fingers trapped between the gaiter rand and the heel of your boot now would you.......

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I used to have a pair with the medium-high leg. Once broken in they were great for several years, until all of a sudden they just started causing really bad blisters. I guess my feet had changed and since they were unlined they were a lot less forgiving than padded hiking boots. Still I'd very much recommend them if they fit the shape of your feet, they certainly kept me dry on plenty of walks in boggy forests. But yes, it's a lot of money and you'll need to find a sock and insole system that fits. :)
I've even thought about buying a used pair, but I can't get past the fact that someone else's sweaty foot has been in them.....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If we are talking about walking in snow, a lot depends on the temperature.

Above -10°c you tend to need protection from the snow which melts under pressure when you are walking in it. Below -10°c most of the moisture is usually coming from your feet.

Above -10°c I use waterproof Pac-boots with thick wool felt liners. Below that I use breathable non waterproof Mukluks with the same thick felt liners. Inside the liners I have thick wool socks and thin Coolmax ones.The liners and the socks need drying out overnight so it is best to have spares to swap with for longer drying times.

Of course, snowshoes help a bit as well by raising your boots out of the snow to some degree.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I've even thought about buying a used pair, but I can't get past the fact that someone else's sweaty foot has been in them.....

Mine are secondhand. I have new insoles and there isn’t much for sweaty-foot-cooties to adhere to. Also, I used them for six day wet wade fishing with neoprene socks, after which their….condition….was all mine

Reactions: Van-Wild

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you compare the Swedish made Lundhags with German or Austrian boots, they aren't expensive. I have no idea if they have the same quality though.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The Yeti gaiters will get you swearing if you don't know this little hack to get them on your boots.....

1. Dunk the rubber rand in a bowl of hot water for ten minutes.

2. With your boots already on your feet, step into the gaiter and pull it around the sole of your boot. Because the gaiter rand is warm, it is very pliable and cools to make a very tight seal around your boot.

In the field........

1. Put them on at home as above, failing that, with your boots on, push the toe into the gaiter.

2. Hook the rand of the gaiter in a underhand hold and pull PAST the heel of your boot BEFORE pulling it upwards onto the heel of the boot. Grip hard and pull hard and it will go on easy.

Oh.... and watch your finger tips when you let go of the rand, you wouldn't want to get your fingers trapped between the gaiter rand and the heel of your boot now would you.......

Maybe DH’s boots are just at the bigger end of what fits his yetis but it’s a two person wrangle every time, even if we’re fairly fast by now. We do dunk it in hot water and pull it past the heel and all that, but still would certainly not call it ”easy”. We basically put it on before he heads off and then he leaves them on the boots until he’s back home and take then off then. They open up for drying off while in camp so that’s never been an issue.

The first year I did get fingers trapped, broke 2-3 nails and tore up several cuticles… Nowadays, I usually get away with just some bloodied cuticles. :)

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
If you compare the Swedish made Lundhags with German or Austrian boots, they aren't expensive. I have no idea if they have the same quality though.
Do you recommend the German Army Mountain boots?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't own them and just have seen them in the internet. We have members here in the forum who surely got the similar Haix British army version issued. If you ask about these in a separate thread you surely will get answers from professional users.

I personally stick with the double stiched concept. In the long run you get very good boots for a very low amount of money because every shoemaker master can put new soles onto them.

I mean things like Meindl Ortler or Perfekt, Schladminger 100, usual Steinkogler models or whatever.

I personally wear Geiger Bernina because I have a full size difference between both feet. They are relatively cheap for custom made boots in individual measures and it was easier to go to Frittlingen / Black Forest area than to the workshop of Steinkogler in Ebensee in Austria. But I think that Steinkogler boots are worth the money and effort. As a teenager I regularly went to Tirol for Skiing with my parents and we rented an apartment in the house of the Orthopedic Schoemaker master Außerlechner in Kartitsch. The guy sold only his own shoes and Steinkogler boots apart from a few house shoes so far I remember it right.

Steinkogler offers like Geiger traditional mountain boots in individual measures, but different to Geiger Steinkogler has 30 employees and also makes series that you can buy everywhere in Austria.
Geiger works alone and makes only boots and shoes in individual measures.

As I often go from Cologne to France Geiger was simply easier to reach for me. Frittlingen is located between Stuttgart and Zürich.

If you get custom made double stiched boots in your individual measures you have to break into them of course but you can be sure to get the perfect fit.
Instead of trying dozens of pairs in dozens of shops and wasting your money on bad fitting boots you buy once and don't cry once, because they simply fit. You just smile and don't cry.
If you count in your own time they are far cheaper than boots from a shoe shop.

So far I understood does Le Soulor offer to make boots in measures that were taken by a different orthopedic Shoemaker, what Steinkogler and Geiger don't do. That's an interesting offer for those who can't visit a mountain boot maker in his workshop.
Surely worth a try.

I discovered Le Soulor just recently and think about visiting them and ordering a pair there when I come along there anyway what I normally did every year.

But a review of such boots takes a lot of time although I really walk a lot. Even if that should be not the highest possible quality they last for years of course.

But looking at the price I assume that they are good. That's realistic. And why should they try to offer bad stuff?

If we talk about custom made boots you have to understand that you buy directly from the maker and cut out the usual incredibly high expenses of normal shoe shops. These makers sit somewhere in a small village in the own house. You pay just material and work, and no shop rent in London or wherever, no sellers or whatever. That's why you get a far superior product for nearly the same price like a glued standard throw away shoe.

Well, they have rather weird homepages.
But you will have to wait for your custom made boots a few months nevertheless. They live of the good name in their area, not of the internet.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As we fortunately don't have the glaciers in Berlin anymore I didn't try these here yet.

Who did find that Lundhags boots are expensive?
But the integrated gaiters could save your finger tips. Or your toes. Or both.

And Italian elegance did always suit well outdoorsy orientated persons.
Since the old times of Ötzi.
Isn't it, @SaraR ?

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
As we fortunately don't have the glaciers in Berlin anymore I didn't try these here yet.

Who did find that Lundhags boots are expensive?
But the integrated gaiters could save your finger tips. Or your toes. Or both.

And Italian elegance did always suit well outdoorsy orientated persons.
Since the old times of Ötzi.
Isn't it, @SaraR ?

I wouldn't say that the Lundhags boots are expensive, but it is a lot of money. :)

The mountaineering boots with built in insulated gaiters would be far too hot for us in most cases and ordinary B2/B3 boots offer a lot more flexibility. I've actually got a pair of La Sportiva, but that's because they fitted my feet the best, not because of the brand.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've bought boots for winter use in the past based on being able to fit crampons. I never particularly considered waterproofness, nor did it ever come up as an issue. This was winter in Scotland. A far bigger issue was general soaking through sleet and rain on low lying areas followed by freezing and sub zero temperatures on climbs and higher altitudes. I had many problems but wet feet never seemed to be one of them. I didn't use gaiters but in deep powdery snow I could see they would be useful.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In deep, powdery snow, you ought to be on skiis with climbing skins or trail-breaker snow shoes. The gaiters are still an advantage. There are ice claws on the Sherpas but I've never been on a hard pitch to take advantage.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Going back to the OP, you’ll find that B2/B3 mountaineering boots keep the water out far better than your standard walking boot, including the army surplus stuff. That’s also the kind of boot you want to use when crossing glaciers or walking in the alps. A B0 boot would never suffice.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I'm not really sure in which class this one is, but I'm sure it's not B0.
and It Isn't "steigeisenfest" either.

IMG-7781.jpg
IMG-7781.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE