Best outdoor shops in and around Glasgow for stock and prices? General advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up some winter wear for the highlands and also for a trip to the Alps and subsequently Berlin in the coming months. I've been reading up online and trying to decide what to buy and where to buy it!

I desperately need a decent pair of walking trousers and have been considering a pair of stretch fabric ones but as I like my trews slim fitting (I tried craghoppers once and felt like I was swimming in them). I'd prefer to try stuff on first before I buy. I read on another thread Decathlon gear is decent for the price and I've been pleased with their gear in the past (insulated booties, canvas boots, running shoes).

Does anywhere stock Buffalo gear? Cotswold do, I believe, do they have a good range? Definitely want to check out the mountain shirt and how it compares to the active light shirt, the teclite shirt and also their full zip jackets like the Alpine. I usually pack a down jacket for when I stop so I think the mountain shirt might be a bit overkill unless the venting is very good. Fell jacket is tempting due to more regular look and full length zip.

Planning on picking up a new pair of booties, too, got my eye on the Salomon XT GTX Pro mids, so looking for Salomon stockists in Glasgow. I believe Tiso stock Salomon but not sure if they have that model.

Couple other odds and ends I want to pick up, a new merino base layer (just the top as my long johns are still in good nick) , but I'd rather keep it under 50£. I think I still have an italian surplus blended one kicking about but it's itchiness is an exercise in patience.

Also think I might need a windproof/waterproof cap, if anyone can throw some recommendations out there

What about for surplus gear? Is the shop next to Glasgow Queens street the best or are there others? I was considering getting a pack lite goretex shell. I don't know how the new MTP version compares with the older woodland/desert DPM.

What shops should I check out? I used to go to GoOutdoors in Coatbridge regularly, but I think I've lost my discount card,, and their gear wasn't always best quality. Tiso is an easy one but a bit on the expensive side, na? Cotswold Outdoors I've not been to but will check out. Mountain Warehouse is another one I don't have experience with.

Thanks guys!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tiso's, Black's, Rohan, all have stores in town, but honestly, Craghoppers have a sale on that's well worth a look through their online store. I've bought from them and they are as advertised and very quickly delivered :) they do have a variety.
Rohan are generally slimmer fitting…..they fit my tall lean son better than they fit my stockier built more muscular son.

For a hat, it's hard to beat the Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap. Usually around £30, but Black's have it on sale just now in limited sizes for £18.
http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/109479...=50735930902&gclid=CPSOrJ3m6sMCFfQatAodsTsA2g

they also have Berghaus's Starav trousers on sale for £60 just now too.
http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/083912-berghaus-mens-starav-trousers-dark-grey.html

If you can get into the shops to try on and find out what fits you best, then there are online offers that are worth the bother. Black's 15% off first order for instance, or the Craghopper sales are worth keeping an eye on too.

cheers,
M

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hi Toddy, I'm considering a pair of lined crag hoppers for general use, when I'm not moving about I run pretty cold. My father has a couple of pairs and swears by them. He uses them for everything from doing the shopping, gardening to walking and golf.

I was considering a pair of Haglofs or maybe a pair of Fjallraven. Cotswold have the fjell mid 2 on sale (£20 off),,

Sportinglodge.co.uk has discounted fjallraven, http://www.thesportinglodge.co.uk/s...llraven-ovik-trousers?sort=p.price&order=ASC/ tho' I don't quite get the sizings,, 46 equates to 32" as far as I can tell

Cheers on the hat, I've seen that one recommended a bunch all over but couldn't remember the name. They have XL, too, which should fit my noggin (always have trouble with caps). I love my watch cap but its' not windproof in the slightest.

Having a root around the Blacks site. Another store I've not been to before!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those Craghoppers were on sale from the online store. I bought two pairs a couple of weeks ago for HWMBLT and Son2 (the tall, lean one) and they're awfully roomy. Very comfortable they say, but really roomy. They're a better fit on Son1 who is just heavier built altogether than his brother.

It's hard to beat the Mountain Cap though :) I have two :D

M

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
What about for surplus gear? Is the shop next to Glasgow Queens street the best or are there others? I was considering getting a pack lite goretex shell. I don't know how the new MTP version compares with the older woodland/desert DPM.

Have a look at the store. I'm sure you'll like it. It's very small and stacked to the roof with kit. Friendly staff and a true different vibe as a highstreet store like Blacks or Cotswold.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Haha yes I remember the guys being friendly when I went in a few years back. I've always loved surplus stores since I was a wee boy. It'll be my first stop next trip into Glasgow to check out their goretex shells and to pick up some paracord too to have a crack at making a weaved camera strap :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE