wondering how winter hikers keep their feet dry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Lately on the big U tube, I came upon a few films where the guys walk with a backpack and gaiters through snow and over gletchers in the French and Swiss alps.
then you see the big collection of walking shoes at the entree of those "huts".
And I wonder what kind of shoes they use, and how to keep them dry as best as they can?

I'm thinking of doing such a tour myself, and I have a very nice pair of leather traditionally made mountain boots (no Goretex) and I got a pair of those MTP gaitors from UK Army (and no clou about how to use them?)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well maintained, good quality leather boots are effectively waterproof. You can wear seakskinz socks but you'll sweat into them if your feet are warm enough.

I think it's about experience, kit is personal but you need to experience conditions to be sure you've got the right kit for you. A good outdoor shop is a good source of knowledge. If you get kit from them and you don't have a good experience you won't be going back but guide experience with kit might lead to you returning to but more.

Ime your first kit isn't right but you get there with replacements. In the end I think is all about experience, both of kit and being out in winter conditions. You don't want to be a rescue statistic through poor kit choice or lack of knowledge/experience.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Was a time when I did weekly work in our conifer forest, collecting samples of arborescent lichen populations. Greb Kodiak boots on 60" trail-breaker snow shoes and Sherpa with ice claws.
Gaiters are good when the snow is cold and dry like sugar. You perspire under them in wet snow.
I still own at least a dozen pairs of wool work socks. Many changes keep your feet dry. 2 pairs at a time.
Still have 4 pairs of 3/8" felt boot liners. Must have clean dry pair ever day.
Some boots have really nice liners that you can wear in the house or tent. Your feet will love you for the extra pair of dry (warm) liners.

My best boots are snowmobile boots. I don't think they are built for any sort of hiking. Walking around a sled stop for food/drink/dump, they are fine. Briefly bare feet!

For us here, it's an investment in many replacement layers of insulation in the boots to keep your feet dry.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Hello Robson valley,
I assume that you are from the States or Canada?
've been there and did some ski-doo tours, Super! really cool.
long time ago though. Yes I remember those loose felt liners.
though as far as I remember they are not really suitable for hiking, are they?
I mean as far as I know it's a compromis, or walking and have a adapted boot for that, or be around camp/ski-doo and have a sort of insulated welly for that, isn't it?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Well maintained, good quality leather boots are effectively waterproof. You can wear seakskinz socks but you'll sweat into them if your feet are warm enough.

I think it's about experience, kit is personal but you need to experience conditions to be sure you've got the right kit for you. A good outdoor shop is a good source of knowledge. If you get kit from them and you don't have a good experience you won't be going back but guide experience with kit might lead to you returning to but more.

Ime your first kit isn't right but you get there with replacements. In the end I think is all about experience, both of kit and being out in winter conditions. You don't want to be a rescue statistic through poor kit choice or lack of knowledge/experience.
What boots you need really depends on what kind of activity you'll be doing and what type of environment you'll be in. The temperature range you're likely to encounter also plays a big part.

Keeping your feet dry generally though comes down to: stopping water getting in through the material of the boot, stopping water getting in over the top of the boot, minimise moisture build up from sweating feet and being able to dry boots, insoles and socks between each outing.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
:confused2:

We used to glew our wallpapers with a mix of flour and water.
I am surprised to read the recommendation to mix that in the boots.
But why not? (So long they aren't my boots.)

:biggrin:

Does it attract only mice or also rats?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Like EW I am a little doubtful about flour, even very fine saw dust might be better if one wants to use something like that. I think I prefer the old way of just changing my socks, a thick woolen sock takes quite a lot of moisture with it. It is not a solution if your shoes leak but for internal moisture it is.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In my experience, even the best leather boots will let water in on long treks through snow or even wet marshy grassland and heath (the type so often found on our moorland and mountains).

They start off fine, especially when new, but the pressure and abrasion they get walking through wet stuff forces moisture in and, unless you can dry them out thoroughly every night and re-apply a treatment, you will get wet feet with leather boots alone. But, you'll get wet feet with 100% waterproof boots anyway from sweat.

I have never tried lined boots (Gore-Tex or otherwise) but the concept of having a hardwearing outer with a waterproof and breathable lining appeals. If I was still doing long overland wet treks that is definitely the way I'd go.

As for cornflour in my boots, sorry, definitely not; I struggle to think of anything less hygienic for a long trek TBH :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
No boot is totally waterproof.

Goretex lined boots will make your feet sweat if you're hiking for long distances, so you'll get wet from the inside out.

Water will get in over the top of the boot if you submerge it in a river or walk through long wet grass for example.

I wear unlined boots year round, treated well with dubbing. If I fear wet feet, I'll put Berghaus Yeti gaiters on over the boots. If I haven't got my gaiters with me, I'll put on my goretex trousers on over the top.

If I have neither gaiters or goretex trousers, I'll suffer wet feet, powdering my feet and changing my socks at the earliest opportunity.

As others before me have said, two pairs of good wool socks cannot be underestimated!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Broch

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Lundhags. ;)
Very waterproof lowers. Pretty waterproof uppers. Quite tall. Very roomy for extra thick socks. It is easier to dry socks than boots, so boots that hold minimal water are good.

I used Canadian Army mukluks in Canada when the snow was definitely damper than ideal. Wrapped the felt liner with plastic which kept the wet from snow out. The untreated nylon outer dried easy, the socks and liners also dried well. The two of us using this system had warmer, drier, feet than the guys using Gortex leather boots. We did not look cooler though!

Reactions: Winnet and Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Goretex lined boots will make your feet sweat if you're hiking for long distances, so you'll get wet from the inside out.

I suppose, if the outer leather is waterproof the Gore-Tex can't breath and if it's not waterproof, as soon as it gets wet, the Gore-Tex can't breath! I'll give that a miss and save my money then!

Yep, on reflexion, I think wet socks that you change are much better than trying to dry out leather boots each night :)

Reactions: Van-Wild

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think that high end Goretex boots like the Haix military boots have a foam layer between waterproof outer leather and vapour permeable inner boot. And with every step you pump out the air in the foam layer through channels or whatever and the moist air escapes through holes in the padding at the highest point of the boot.
You have the moisture then in gaiters or Goretex trousers but pump the moist air out here too with every motion and the Goretex works how intended too.

The Bavarians use that system in the army, the Austrians stick with the old school leather boots. Same mountains, same conditions, different concepts although direct neighbours.
The Austrian and Bavarian mountain troop boots also cost approximately the same.
Germans rather believe in modern technic while Austrians rather think traditional but would one of both systems be clearly superior both would have it of course.
Both buy other military equipment from each other, but here they make a difference, if we talk about the issued boots.
The Germans can choose between military boots from most makers, a lot of models are allowed to use, and I guess it's the same in Austria. So, what Max Müller really wears in the end is a different question.

Last edited:
Reactions: BumblingAlong

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I use Gore_Tex boots regularly having found them better at keeping my feet dry on long hikes. They are breathable so I haven't found sweating an issue. However in some conditions there is always a small amount of water entering, either from the top or through the lace holes. I guess after many trials it's what works for me.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I live at 53N x 120W. I have more than 6 decades of experience outdoors in western Canadian winters. Just make damn sure you are dry every morning.

My lower legs are poor, you can count on me to make the drinks and have the supper going on the stove when you come in the door. It's pitch freakin' dark at 4 PM, you best be in because the cats are out. Q: What's your tipple?

Reactions: Erbswurst

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Strangely enough i watched a YouTube video last night of a guy I follow Eric Normark he does a lot of winter hikes, he wears a thin pair of wool socks, then plastic bags then a thick pair of wool socks, the outcome is warm damp foot and dry boots, just make sure to dry wet feet of a night time and put dry socks on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE