Wolf tracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've seen a few wolf tracks in my time but I'm no expert....we do have some very good trackers on here and some other European and US members who are very likely to come across wolf tracks regularly so it's probably worth posting the pic and somebody will no doubt be able to confirm it.....even if I can't lol :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wolf packs use the old logging roads like eveybody else, for easy travel.
They leave scat piles on the roads, possibly as territorial markers.
Wolf scat tends to be 2-3cm diameter, 8-10cm long, in colors of gray and black.
One end of each scat piece is pointed and there is hair/fur in every one of them.
I'm told that coyote scat looks the same but smaller. You could fool me.

Thanks all for the answers!
Yes, I've find it on a mountain track
So, this is the photo..
folderview
. (external google drive link https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9G0zVWBFAMlVldGSzFRcFFabEk&usp=sharing)
Last wolf's dinner.. perhaps ..
a wild boar? Gray fur... :D

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Looks like wolf to me. Not very old.
I think that the hair/fur might change color in digesting the prey.
We have no wild boar just moose, elk, caribou, mule deer, white tail deer, mountain goat, mountain sheep
and lots of rabbits. I don't think that a wolf pack could catch lynx, bobcat or cougar.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Looks very like it. You are lucky; I believe the farmers in your area have been illegally shooting wolves as the population has increased following a total ban on hunting trapping poisoning of wolves.I would be on the lookout for other types of sign in that area You never know you may actually get to see a wolf in the wild Good luck

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As redandshane hopes, I too hope that you get to see a wolf. Here, they are no more than shadows in the forest.

In 50 hunting seasons Sept - Nov. and 10-20 days in each, I have actually seen 5 wolves.
Two on logging roads. One hunting mice in tall pasture grass 25m away = the day was so windy, it never heard or saw me.
Two maybe 400m away in a pasture hunting mice/voles in the grass along a fence line. BIG.
I have a Nikon Prostaff 82mm spotting scope (20X - 60X) to watch them.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Disclaimer I've only tried this with captive European wolves.

You can talk to wolves, even if you can't see them.

When wolves howl, the neighboring pack will repeat the howl back, altered slightly. A sort of call and response setup. Thing is this, wolves are daft. They aren't that good at differentiation between wolf howl, and say the Ambulance siren... the badly tuned motorbike, or even the geek whistling the great escape.

Think you've got wolves in the area, wait till it gets dark, howl out, and listen for the response...

Julia.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE