Calcium carbide lighter. Where to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 15, 2023
Kent
I have seen this tweeted 13 years previous on this forum about ten minutes ago but could somebody help me find a calcium carbide lighter for sale? I have only found them in a book called survival by Len Cacutt on page 139 and I really want one but they only come up online as lamps, thank you for any help.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For ref. This is the thread. Also mentions the Len Cacutt book.

I have never seen one, but if people were talking about them in the past-tense in 2010, there is no chance of finding one in 2023, outside of some corroded "vintage" curio.

Edit *After finding a source for new lighters....Me and my big mouth*:banghead2::tapeshut:

Given the problems described with buying the carbide, which makes the lighter rather less than practical, is there another reason you are after one? What quality does it have that cannot be replaced by other means? Or are you just interested in vintage gear?

And ;) this isn't Twitter, forum posts are not Tweets ;)

Chris

Last edited:

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I have a potholing lamp about 3 or 4 inches tall, 2” too 3” diameter with a reflector. You light it with a filling striker, like a lighter. It puts out a jet about an inch long, very bright. It was my back up in case my battery one ran out or what ever. I’ve always intended getting some more carbide for it and seeing how it will be at brazing by blowing air into the flame with a jewellers blow pipe. Perhaps not well, but an interesting experiment none the less.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Lighter no idea. Thnk most brass lamps either mining, or table top are made in India these days.

Still can get Big Bang Cannons in the US

Bangsite is calcium carbide in powdered form.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023
Kent
For ref. This is the thread. Also mentions the Len Cacutt book.

I have never seen on, but if people were talking about them in the past-tense in 2010, there is no chance of finding one in 2023, outside of some corroded "vintage" curio.

Given the problems described with buying the carbide, which makes the lighter rather less than practical, is there another reason you are after one? What quality does it have that cannot be replaced by other means? Or are you just interested in vintage gear?

And ;) this isn't Twitter, forum posts are not Tweets ;)

Chris
I only wanted one because they are quite cool and seem more reliable than the modern plastic lighters. Also sorry I called a post a tweet, I had about four hours of sleep the night previous.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have come across loads of drums of calcium carbide on farms, still to this day and don't know what to do with it.

calcium carbide (gas guns) bird scarers were being used right up until early 2000s on a number of farms, they still work and last saw one on a small top fruit farm last autumn. As others have said, must be crazy careful....

Loads of farms have huge stores of can and drums with no labels....very frightening, particularly as I recognize a kg can of Cyanide used as rat control in 50s to 70s

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I only wanted one because they are quite cool and seem more reliable than the modern plastic lighters. Also sorry I called a post a tweet, I had about four hours of sleep the night previous.
No worries. Hope you missed sleep for something fun, not sick or working crazy shifts! The piezo lighters are a bit hit and miss, although it seems to me that its the quality of parts and the manner of sealing out water that are the main problems with all lighters. My pocket peanut lighter has held up pretty well, but the last one could not be resurrected when its original bit of ferro rod wore out and standard Zippo rod was fractionally too big.

I hope any annoyance with my earlier post will be mitigated by this...

Dec 15, 2023
Kent
No worries. Hope you missed sleep for something fun, not sick or working crazy shifts! The piezo lighters are a bit hit and miss, although it seems to me that its the quality of parts and the manner of sealing out water that are the main problems with all lighters. My pocket peanut lighter has held up pretty well, but the last one could not be resurrected when its original bit of ferro rod wore out and standard Zippo rod was fractionally too big.

I hope any annoyance with my earlier post will be mitigated by this...

Thank you so much for that link!!!

Reactions: C_Claycomb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE