Wolf gets his Bison!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Today i became the proud owner of another Bison knife made by Roger Harrington, I spoke to Roger earlier in the year and put together the spec for my new knife which Rog has lovingly made for me, the Steel is D2 tool steel with a Hardness of 59hrc, the Blade length is 100mm and the Steel is 4mm thick so the grind is of a lesser angle (25deg) to the Bisonbushcraft which is 3mm 01 tool steel (27deg)as you can see in the picture below, it is RAZOR sharp i've been slicing curls from post it notes 1mm thick so i cant wait to get carving with it, i picked it up on the way to work and started at 12 midday and finish a 12 tonight :shock: so it'll be tomorrow till it gets christened. Heres some pic's for you...

BBnew1.jpg

The Handle length is 115mm and has a Full (tapered) tang and Scales of Gumm Burl with black fibre liners.Gum Burl is a rich colour and has a delicate pattern, sort of a cross between a light walnut and Thuja Burr (sp) which compliments the scabbard colour wonderfully IMO..The handle profile fits the hand nicely with no hot spots or rubbing points (its roughly the same shape as the woodcraft knife Roger does)

bbanditwolf.jpg

It has a Left Handed scabbard (or Kack handed :roll: ), and is of a laced style oak tanned leather with an antler toggle, it also is of a drop loop design to make it easier to get in and out when i've got bulky winter layers on, The knife also fits nice and deep into the scabbard and clicks into place securely.
DSCN0382.jpg

as the spec suggests it is of a slightly heavier build design than the BisonBushcraft and feels a good weight in the hand(see below) but still has a nimble feel to it and is of a good proportion needed for carving and bushcrafty tasks.(the blade is as wide as my palm)

DSCN0386.jpg

All in all im totally 100% chuffed and completely satisfied with it to say the least, its an excellent quality hand made knife with loads of character, and as you can see with this one as well as Mad Daves BB they are of a bomb proof construction and are guaranteed for life, Roger tells me he has made over 500 Bisonbushcraft knives to date as well as custom jobs such as this with no phone calls or letters of complaint and has had none returned! not a bad track record eh :wink: Ill give you an update when ive given it a good using :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
It looks totaly wonderful JP i think you have very good taste!! :biggthump
i guess i better a bison knife to the list of Must Get Knives.. (but near the top i think :wink: )

one question... how can it "click" in to a leather sheath?

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Lovely lookin tool Wolfster,very nice indeed.You must be well chuffed.Hope to buy something as nice as that myself sometime.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Its the way the sheath is made and the shape of the handle, its probably alot to do with the fact its new also its a nice snug fit as you push it in and as it gets to its seating position it seems to free slightly and it fits into place, ok not clicks, clunks into place then :rolmao: :nana: (show ya jan)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
NICE!!!! :yikes:

Real nice. I think once i have freed myself of all other commitments i'll ask for one...which will be around May :roll:

I look forward to... (careful what you say now Jake) ...er...hold it at the meet!

:biggthump

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
TheViking said:
That one certainly looks good. :biggthump Why did you choose D2 over carbon? :D
D2 is another type of high carbon tool steel similar to 01 it has slightly more chrome in it, it is not a stainless steel, Knife makers have been using this steel for years, Bob Dozier makes all his knives with D2, all that and i just fancied it :naughty:
edit* Quote from Bobs site for info...
D2 Steel
The steel Bob uses is D2, which is one of the most outstanding knife steels available today. It is a high carbon, high chrome tool steel which is often used for the steel cutting dies in tool and die shops. With 1.5% Carbon, 1% Molybdenum, 12% Chrome, and 1% Vanadium, this air hardening steel (at 60-61Rc.) takes a razor edge, and holds it!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Paganwolf said:
D2 is another type of high carbon tool steel similar to 01 it has slightly more chrome in it, it is not a stainless steel, Knife makers have been using this steel for years, Bob Dozier makes all his knives with D2, all that and i just fancied it :naughty:
Ah, I see, didn't know that. :biggthump Thanks.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Tis indeed a nice tool.Damn i need to get a better job and buy some really nice gear like you chaps. :)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Gene Ingram does beautiful work in D2 as well. It's a good semi stainless tool steel. Takes a glorious rubbed finish if you're as skilled as Gene. Interestingly the Benchmade knife co make their AFCK folder with a D2 blade these days. Not a bushcraft knife but one of the modern classics nonetheless.

The key properties of D2 are toughness, wear resistance and great edge retention.

For steel geeks: you can group the A2, D2 and M2 tools steels together. All three are relatively low carbon formulas which gives toughness and have added carbides of vanadium etc to make them wear resistant.
Their carbon content is not low enough for them to be classed as stainless steels.

Very crudely A2 is perhaps twice as tough as the others, but D2 has twice the wear resistance (= edge retention) of A2.
M2 has higher carbide content giving the best wear resistance of the trio and similar toughness to D2 but it rusts, where D2 is at least semi stainless.

D2 is a very good knife steel.
A2 also makes a great blade - it is a favorite at Bark River and I think my Evo1 is made from it.
In several years I have only once noticed a production knife being promoted as using M2.

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought it might be of interest to some readers to compare these as D2 and A2 are very popular steels for our uses.

Your new knife looks great :biggthump

Cheers

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
That is one of the prettiest knives that I have ever seen! Great, comfortable design and good working edge. Well done!

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE