Woggle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Womble said:
Relax?

On a Scout camp????

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I did on the last one I went on! :D - had loads of time to 'play' in the woods (yippie) while they just got on with it and organised themselves!

Mind you I only went as an extra pair of hands/ knowledge and skills store/ keep the wife warm;) but then again as DC - I was essentially in charge i guess! :rolleyes:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
g4ghb said:
I did on the last one I went on! :D - had loads of time to 'play' in the woods (yippie) while they just got on with it and organised themselves!

Mind you I only went as an extra pair of hands/ knowledge and skills store/ keep the wife warm;) but then again as DC - I was essentially in charge i guess! :rolleyes:

<stands to alert and salutes when realises he's in the presence of a DC>
SIR ! YES SIR!!!!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Back at work after the weekend...
The McDonald's sketch
DSC00211.jpg

Can't show any more pics I'm afraid but suffice to say they really enjoyed it.
My hammock was a real magnet for everyone and I did a bad carving of a cockrel and a twig whistle which they all loved !

Mark

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Buckshot said:
Back at work after the weekend...

...My hammock was a real magnet for everyone

Mark

We had our District Troop camp at the weekend, and my Hennesy hammock drew a lot of attention as well. One of the troops was sleeping in net hammocks that they had made, and some of them came over and had a look. Once they realised that it wasn't as small as it looked, and how comfy it was they all wanted a go.

The thing was - they were going on about how they wanted one of mine, and I was going on about how great it was that they had made their own!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Womble said:
The thing was - they were going on about how they wanted one of mine, and I was going on about how great it was that they had made their own!

The grass is always greener....

Now there's an idea, get the scouts to make their own hammock (and while they're at it, they can make me one too...I still sleep on the deck :D )

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Here are some of the woggles I have made.

From left to right
A piece of spalted birch a piece of sycamore branch from our scout hut land (varnish is a bad ide) a branded one I did at camp (a base I ran at camp) a piece of ash

woggle2.jpg
[/IMG]

A piece of spalted birch that one of my young leaders has now

woggle1.jpg
[/IMG]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I held a warrant with 3rd Cardigan Sea Scouts we all made Turks Head Woggles using leather boot laces (or tied the neckers in a flat square knot) but those who went on our Mega Road Trip to Hungary got hold of some sort of tree gall drilled these out and wore those.
The cubs favoured Hazel (easily drilled out with a penknife on camp) and those who got flash aquired hand carved items made by one of the leaders - who went on to become a pro sculpter/carver - having started with woggles on camp!
I wish I had some of his work to show you as they were the non-plus-ultra of woggles!

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
i have a sponge bob square pants woggle, pics shall come soon, when i work with young ages and my sheeps marrow for scouts and dress activites

any good ideas on how to make cool woggles with scouts

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
any good ideas on how to make cool woggles with scouts

Have a look here for some great ideas.

I printed some the info from this site and showed my scouts the woggles I have made and my ASL showed his collection and we set them a challenge to make one at home best one won a prize. Only 3 brought one some (several each) which were all good so I gave them all a prize.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
A couple I've done. Both copper wire (electrical laquered and tinned) 0.6mm. Seven part, eight bight and five part, eight bight.

Spot the mistake on the darker one!

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

you've gone and got me started now!

Here are a couple I've made. The one on the left was made from the middle section of a dog's bone (not a bone from a dog - a sterilised bone like you buy for your dog!) with the small blade from a SAK. Once it was carved I stained it with a little watered down paint then added a layer or two of varnish. The middle one is made from paracord with a reflective thread running through it. The one on the right is a standard issue plastic woggle covered in weatherproof reflective tape. I use this on night hikes as, even though it looks a bit cheap and tatty in daylight, it glows like anything in the light of a headtorch - or more importantly, a car's headlight. Makes me easy to keep track of for the Scouts and lets motorists know we are there on the road sections.
woggles.jpg

Oops, can three be a couple? What I meant was, here are a few I've made...

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2011
B-O-S, Somerset
This is a woggle that i made for myself as the cubs named me after Bear Grylls, but when he visited somerset, i gave to to him with our group necker, no thinking i would see it worn again, but while watching a clip of the opening of the world scout jambo in sweden he was wearing it!!!

I think, though I'm not certain, that you can't post pics direct yet (I gather it is something to do with how many posts you have submitted). I think the only way to do it is to upload it to photobucket or similar then create a link to that in your post - if that makes sense?!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE