Woggle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
After a couple of years of not having a uniform for scouts I've been invited to get one so I thought I'd make a woggle for myself.
woggle.jpg

It's a pineapple or Gaucho Button Knot and is basically an interweave of two turks head knots. One is a seven part, six bight , the other a five part, six bight. It can be done using just one thread or using a different one for each knot as I've done here.
I followed the instructions from this book - very good for braiding knots of all sorts but can be a little tricky to follow sometimes...
encyclopediaofbraiding.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with the result although the white lace has darkened quite a bit with the dressing on it, it looked better with white and purple laces.

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ogri the trog said:
Is there anything you can't braid?
Lots ! I'm not that good !!!

Phil562 said:
Here we go Mark - "Pimp My Woggle"
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Cheers guys.

The picture doesn't do it justice really, the darker thread is a really nice purple colour. I'll try and take another pic.

Mark

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
lads i am looking for new ideas for woogle making have tried a couple variations over the years but am looking for something new

do ye have any pics of wopgles ye have mage

also if ye would be interested in a badge swap please PM me

thanks in advance

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I used to have one made from a sheep vertebrae - one of the leaders caringly said I'd get anthrax - so I left the scouts!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
nice work mark that looks great we used to do them in the unit necker colours when i was a leader (red and black)

i also had a cane woggle haven't got it anymore would love another one i might have to go and get som willow on the way home

James

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
KIMBOKO said:
I make the more normal size turkshead woggle in washing line. But for specials I use basketry cane (presoaked).
We've got a load of 'paracord' in various colours cut to length but no-ones been bothered about making them yet... perhaps that will change now.
I like the idea of a cane woggle. Is that a turks head just made from cane rather than leather/ cord? Any idea of the type of turks head used and is there anything special done when making them?

James, sounds a very nice colour combo. We're an air troop so only have sky blue neckers and blue shirts (almost the same colour) so not much good really !

Cheers

Mark

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Scally said:
if i am out in the field with my lot i use a piece of red antler that has had the inner core drilled out

ohh now that sounds nice i think i may be doing some antler carving tonight

mark my cane woggle was the same sort you can tye round your hand really easy i cant remeber the number of bites and leads though but i'll look them up when i get home

James

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Mark,

Since there's no such thing as a stupid question on BCUK:
What on earth is a 'woggle' (I've seen your pic, but can't figure it out ... :eek: ), what do you do with it, why do you want to have one and what has it to do with the Scouts (I've never joined them)?

Questions, questions, ... :confused:
;)

Cheers mate!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Johan a woggle is used to hold the scalf(necker) around a scouts neck

just stick woggle into google and all will become clear

James

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
jdlenton said:
Johan a woggle is used to hold the scalf(necker) around a scouts neck

just stick woggle into google and all will become clear

James

Cheers James, that helps!
Now ... why didn't I thought about Google ... :confused: :bandit:

woggle.jpg

Clears things up.

Found this site, maybe usefull for those who want to do a rope / string version of a woggle (learnt a new word!): http://www.seascouts.ca/knots/turk.htm (Seascouts though ;) :ban: )

EDIT:
Mark, completely forgot to say it looks very good (especially now I know what it is ;))

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
This is a pic of my lad modeling it for me...
woggle3.jpg

You're quite right, they are keeping me busy, off to Marlow camp in a couple of weeks to do the 'aqua camp' ;)

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's all water based activities...
canoeing (not sure if they're open or not)
sailing
raft building and racing
rowing (or as the scout leader called it 'pulling'. When I was younger that term had a different meaning)

There are instructors to cover the sessions so we're just needed for food and evenings. We can jion in the activities if we want at cost, the canoeing is a possibilty but I'm not to worried about the rest.
I'm hoping to be able relax a little as well... Perhaps that's not the right term to use in the same sentance as 24 kids!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE