wobbly newel posts

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
3 of the newel posts are wobbly in our house and getting worse.

Not something I've tackled before.

Looking at them, at some point someone has sawn off the old (square) newel posts level with the steps, then fitted ****ty 'modern' ones. I think they possibly just a round stub tenon fitted into the old (solid) newel post.

Googling seems to suggest that sometimes these were fitted with a coach screw driven into the lower post section - I guess I can investigate locating that and tightening it.

Any other suggestions?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Are they wobbly at the top or bottom?

The bottom will be a tenon glued into a hole in the original post.

The top will be attached to the rail by a bolt, the head of which will be covered by a wee square/ rectangle of covering wood.

If tightening the top doesn't work, remove the bolt and try turning the post to break any glue and reset with some good epoxy resin.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
IME, the tenon snaps off. I tend to fix them by drilling a hole in the centre of both pieces and glueing in substantial metal rod with gap filling polyurethane adhesive

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
After some dicking around it seems that the tenon had snapped off and a metal repair put in. So nothing solid to fasten to.

Half-persuaded the wife to let me rip it out and put in a wibbly fruitwood branch, with the bark peeled off and given a good linseeding. Then I'll look for something similar to replace the whole rail and the spindles. An estate agent would say it reduces the house value but it is my house and I'll do what I like.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
One of my clients had a rustic handrail and newel posts with bark still attached put in, actually looks fantastic. In a modern town house but it really fits with the modern style. No way it reduced the value.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE