With axe and crooked knife....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I used these two tools only, and nothing else, to make this birch bowl, just to see how difficult it would be without using crook /spoon knives, bowl adze or gouge. It really wasn't that hard to do but was certainly more time consuming. So remember, if you're out in the bush for an extended period of time, there's no need to carry the whole workshop along.:rolleyes::)

I used a Scandinavian forest axe and a borrowed crooked knife made by Ben Orford. After having a chance to use a crooked knife I'm anxious to get the blade Joel Delorme (jojo) is making for me. I also want to try one made by FGYT (Duncan) at Dorset Woodland Blades
45ec7eb0.jpg

A closer look at the inside.
8d01799c.jpg

Side view showing the weird shape of the bottom. I wasn't sure how to round the bottom more while leaving the band of bark on. I may take more off the bottom to reduce the overall height of the bowl, making it more rounded at the same time, as I really don't care for the look of it as is. I would like to keep the bark band though as I like it, at least for now, just so long as it doesn't start to peel off badly.
3efb159d.jpg

The bottom
15a6f97d.jpg

The next question is: what next? How do I dry it to minimize the possibility of splitting?

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
thats ausome dude well dunn and thanks for sharing mate cos that looks ausome

Thank you:) I decided to flatten the bottom a bit more and ended up with this:
c02d1ebe.jpg

I don't think I'll ever carve the end grain again though. It was freshly cut wood so was green as can be but still pretty tough. I'll try to go with easier from now on:)

Last edited:

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I think the best way to stop it from splitting is to dry it very, very slowly. Keep it in a plastic bag and every day get it out for half an hour and then put it back in the bag. When you put it back in the bag turn the bag inside out to remove the moisture that should build up, when the moisture stops collecting, wrap it in newspaper and leave it for a couple of months. That would be my suggestion. Make sure that when it's in the plastic bag it's not too wet or it may go mouldy. Good luck, it looks great buy the way.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks guys:)

That is nice but it gonna split!

I hope you're wrong but I have a feeling there's something you know that I don't:D

I think the best way to stop it from splitting is to dry it very, very slowly. Keep it in a plastic bag and every day get it out for half an hour and then put it back in the bag. When you put it back in the bag turn the bag inside out to remove the moisture that should build up, when the moisture stops collecting, wrap it in newspaper and leave it for a couple of months. That would be my suggestion. Make sure that when it's in the plastic bag it's not too wet or it may go mouldy. Good luck, it looks great buy the way.

Thanks for the information heath, I'm going to give that a try and hope for the best.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Would a gradual introduction of a foodsafe oil help prevent splitting while it dries?
Lovely work btw, I'm inspired!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Stunning and look at the thickness of that bark very envious. My advise would be put it in a plastic bag but dont tie it just close it a bit and place in a cool place or as long as it takes, always works for me

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Love it, Glad you kept the bark on the birch bark looks great kept on. The thicker the piece is the greater tentancy for it to split as the outside is drying therefore shrinking faster than the middle wood, grain dont like tension, on thinner items there is usually less difference in moisture content from the centre to the outside. I had a green piece of beech I turned on my lathe I rounded the base and turned it around ready to hollow out the bowl. by the time I got back to the lathe the following weekend it had split from centre to edge. I ended up making some bobbins for my braiding loom with it

It is possible to dry wood for carving or turning in a microwave, I'll have to look through my folder to find the info. dont want to give duff advice

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land

It could work, it could split. Slooooow drying is the way to go in my experience.

This bump is to provide an update that may help others with similar projects. After slowly drying using the plastic bag, I wrapped it in newspapers and then placed it in a box full of more crumpled papers. I removed it just two days ago, having been put away for over three months. It appears that the advice given has worked.:):thankyou:
Here's some pics of the bowl just taken. The whitish stuff in the bowl is from the shavings that I'd left in it while it was drying
a71022b6.jpg

f4abac76.jpg

Looking closely at the bottom shows some very small, shallow cracking, but far less than I'd expected.
1f27f392.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It is a beautiful piece of work indeed.
I'm so glad that you managed to keep it intact while it dried.
Thanks for posting.
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE