Wishing we could go back to the good ol days.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
I must say, I’ve been lurking about here reading old threads for what seems like an age, and you lot all seem like a top bunch of lovely people, I don’t do social media anymore and Seemingly it’s becoming difficult to connect with the outside world, and lately after all that’s been going on, I feel an urge to grab the pack and ship out, I don’t really know what that means and I’m not sure if this is the place to post it but I feel like i didn’t ask for this, nor do I want to be apart of what’s next. Just wondering if everyone is okay and well if I am too I suppose :banghead:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
"I wish it need not have happened in my time.”

“So do I, and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
J.R.R. Tolkien.

The "good old days" are generally just an illusion that is the result of people remembering and talking about only the good things and times. That said...this time last year does look like it was better than right now! Shipping out might be tricky since that is one of the things that is being expressly restricted :lmao:

Take heart. You are younger than most on here. That gives you time to see times improve, which they will.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The forums have changed and there were some great people involved, some have moved on, some have died and some have been replaced by other great people and of course, some are still here :D I read some of the old threads with nostalgia as well, in the past there were a lot fewer bushcraft schools, a lot less experts and a lot more people learning and coming into bushcraft etc...The pace of info and life were slower compared to these days with most things being orientated around immediate gratification and information... We can still shape that though and our place in it.

If you're young like Chris says you've got plenty time to try loads of different things and become your own person

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
I have just wandered back to these forums after a couple of years, its still pleasantly familiar, with some truly great content and discussion. With the lockdown easing you can now wander off in to the woods and camp out (England only), or even drive there. On a personal note this year so far has still been 100x better than last year, workwise I am still in the factory so the Mon-Thurs stuff hasn't really changed.

Reactions: Short_edc and Toddy

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
I have just wandered back to these forums after a couple of years, its still pleasantly familiar, with some truly great content and discussion. With the lockdown easing you can now wander off in to the woods and camp out (England only), or even drive there. On a personal note this year so far has still been 100x better than last year, workwise I am still in the factory so the Mon-Thurs stuff hasn't really changed.
Me and the wife went out today for a walk in the woods to test the waters and I wanted to reccy my spot, it’s crazy there’s more large groups of people having picnics on the way than ever, thankfully most of them give up before any walking is required and collapse by the car park :buttkick:

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The good old days...ah if only!
You know your getting old when you get wistful for how it used to be once.
Sadly those days have gone so the only thing to do is look forward and make some new days that will become the old days years from now.

Reactions: Toddy and Short_edc

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I don't know if things were really better, the only thing that really was better that 50 years ago there still were some real wilderness areas that now have gone the way of the dodo. Otherwise I don't know what was better.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am in mind of a scene from one of the Marvel Captain America movies where someone asked if he missed the old days (after having been frozen in the 40s and defrosted in the 2000s) "No polio is nice, food's better, we used to boil everything, internet - so helpful." :lmao:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've still got a pair of white bell bottom jeans from the 70s, and a smock top and shoes... only the shoes still fit, but I'm keeping them in the hope that one day I will wear them again. .... :)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Once Scotland eases the restrictions I plan to do the things I've thought about but not done - suddenly time seems more precious and employment may have disappeared for a while at least so I want to make more of the opportunities in nature.
Following the Tolkien quote, above, from Mr Claycomb: "I want to see the hills again"
Keep smiling and safe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE