winter motorbiking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Bikers make up 5% of road users and 20% of fatalities and serious injuries. A high proportion of bike fatalities involve no other road user. Braking distances in the wet and cold go up enormously and if you are inexperienced then your first winter you will drop it. Salt will eat your alloy and in 2 years it will be next to worthless. A cheapo CG125 or even c90 make great winter commuters and the couple of hundred quid they would cost will be less than the depreciation on you posh summer bike would be. Personally I wouldn't even bother with the CBR there is a certain coolness if the functionality of these cheap bikes and save your money for a better bigger bike later.

Winter clothing is amazing these days and a 6 mile commute will be a doddle, it is possible to be so much colder on a bike than any cold I have known anywhere else but it takes more than 6 miles to chill to the core.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hi all,

I am in a bit of a dilemma, I need a form of transport to get to and from work, and a car is just way too expensive for an apprentice to run. I really want a bike (been looking at a honda CBR125) I have added everything up and its perfectly affordable however my parents seem convinced that I will not ride it in the winter because 1) ill be too cold (i dont care about that just wear some extra clothes)
2) its too dangerous

can anyone tell me what they think about riding in the winter?

Thanks

Your post doesn't tell us much about your experience. More information would help us to help you.

Taking your points in reverse order:

1. Yes, it's too dangerous. Riding a motorcycle is more or less the most dangerous thing you can do in peacetime. I wish this were not true (and it is as true in summer as it is in winter) but it doesn't stop those of us who like to do it from doing it. Last week I rode about 2,000 miles from Derbyshire to the south of France and back on my FJR, and I'd go again tomorrow if I could, but I have work to do. On that single trip my experience saved me from collisions (and probably serious injury) several times. How did I get into those situations? Well, I didn't. That's because I recognized that they might be developing and took avoiding action well before they had a chance to get me.

2. Robin is right that six miles in winter weather should be a doddle as far as your body temperature is concerned. I've ridden from Derbyshire to the Grampians in the middle of the night in winter and been warm as toast -- with the right gear. For a trip of six miles I wouldn't have thought you'd need to bother with technological fixes like heated grips or jacket. Decent motorcycle clothing should be all you need. The clothing could easily cost as much as the bike.

You're asking about riding in winter. I'm not sure you're asking the right questions.

You can write a bike off very easily if you hit a slippery patch just outside your house. This isn't just something that happens in winter. People spill huge amounts of diesel on the road for example. You need to watch out for surface problems all year round, and whereas the thermometer is a dead giveaway that there's a risk of ice, apart from a pile of motorcycles in the hedge bottom about the only thing that might warn you that the road ahead might be covered in diesel is that there's a bend in it (people overfill their tank, then half of it spills out on the next roundabout).

You say you think you can afford to run the bike. Perhaps the numbers tell you that you can if you don't factor in any adversity, but could you afford the repair bills after a spill? If you would ask the insurer to pay, would you then be able to afford the next premium? From that point of view, after a minor prang (like just dropping the thing while you're turning into the drive) a faired bike will be a lot more expensive to repair than something less sporty-looking, especially if you get something with crash bars already fitted. What happens if it just breaks down? My Hayabusa was off the road for three months after Suzuki fitted a faulty part during a product recall. The faulty part caused so much engine damage that the whole engine had to be rebuilt; one of the parts needed for the rebuild wasn't available anywhere in the world, so it was just a matter of waiting for the part to be made (in Japan) and shipped to England. Just to make sure that the dealer wasn't messing about I also ordered the part. Both arrived on the same day and I've still got the one I ordered. While the Hayabusa was off the road I just rode my Bandit. What would you do in those circumstances? Do you have a place and/or the means to keep the bike safe from thieves and other oiks who like to pull bits off any bikes they see?

Perhaps most of all, for a trip of six miles I'm not sure that I'd want to spend the time putting all the gear on, getting the bike out; making sure that it's safe to ride and that it has enough fuel, oil and water; somehow fastening on everything I want to take with me that day...

Have you considered cycling? When I worked six miles from home I used to run to work and back. When I worked ten miles from home I used to cycle. Unless there's some medical reason you can't do it, I promise you that after you've cycled to work for a few weeks you'll wonder why people think it's any kind of a deal at all. I've cycled in weather where frost has formed all over my track suit (and sometimes on Tumbledown Dick my back wheel used to go round without me going forward :)). In winter, the only extra clothing I'd wear would be some woolly mittens. I was a lot fitter than I would have been if I'd driven, and financially, not that it ever mattered, I was a lot better off.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
just go easy and use your common sense. i ride all year in all weather (snow stops me, as much because of the bad standard of driving as any thing else).if you don't do something, you don't get experience!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I'd be inclined to agree with Ged re: cycling. Six miles is not that far to cycle to and from work, and even better if you can find an 'off road' route - by which I mean 'traffic free' rather than green lanes :)

I used to cycle just over that distance a few years ago, on a mainly traffic free route, and although it did mean getting up and leaving a little earlier than if I had driven, I certainly felt a lot more awake once I got there.

Having said that though, I have also ridden a moped in the winter, way back before I passed my driving test, and once or twice after a cold start the throttle grip came loose - meaning that once it had started I had no control over the speed at all! I put this down to the cold at the time, and after letting the engine run for a few mins it seemed to sort itself out - something to be aware of maybe?

Given the choice, personally I'd go for two wheels over four either motorised or not, but as I have no need of 'work transport' and have a three year old to ferry around, along with the wife at weekends, the practicallities force me into 4 wheels.

Best bit of advice would be to wrap up warm, and go for it, you need to try/experience it for yourself and make up your own mind. Oh and some really warm gloves - two pairs if needed, there's nothing worse than cold fingers!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Best bit of advice would be to wrap up warm, and go for it, you need to try/experience it for yourself and make up your own mind. Oh and some really warm gloves - two pairs if needed, there's nothing worse than cold fingers!

Definitely agree on the gloves side. You WILL NEED winter gloves if riding in Autumn/Winter since with numb fingers you have no bike control so not only is it painful but very dangerous.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
if you prepare and you're thoughtful about your riding you'll be fine year round, I used to ride all year to work and back and it was fine, some near misses but they were nearly always done to me. Get a cheaper bike, put your money in warm and protective gear.

A mate of mine who's gone back into education and needs to watch his pennies bought himself an electric bike, something like this
g-bike-city-electric-bike_1_fd2oG_69.jpg

Cheap to buy, very very cheap to run and does him fine......not a lot of cooool factor though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE