Winter is coming.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Winter "bush-walking" in the Victorian Alps of Australia. Mates were a German and an Italian with honest European winter experience. Used to hate the frost flakes snowing off the inside of the tent in the morning.

I have some inefficient slider windows, can't afford thermopane replacements. I can get frost inside these windows, maybe1/2 way up, in extreme cold (-20C).

There's a meter of snow up top. Friends are still out hunting big game in it today.
Some logging roads are packed well enough for a quad & trailer.

Attachments

• Belle Mountain.jpg
    Belle Mountain.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 5

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone suffered with the recent Power losses?
Made any changes to Winter needs and requirements.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, we were without power (and therefor without water) for 48hours. I found out that the small generator I have will not power the water pump (never checked the pump requirement - doh!!) so I'm on the hunt for a 5kW or similar diesel generator now :)

Enjoyed cooking on the log burner though :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yep, we were without power (and therefor without water) for 48hours. I found out that the small generator I have will not power the water pump (never checked the pump requirement - doh!!) so I'm on the hunt for a 5kW or similar diesel generator now :)

Enjoyed cooking on the log burner though :)

Log burner -Nice.

You ever investigated the TEG's?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Anyone suffered with the recent Power losses?
Made any changes to Winter needs and requirements.
Luckily no*. I keep thinking I should get a generator but the only thing we'd need it for is the freezer so not worth it.

We often cook on the woodburner anyway, our off grid water doesn't use power so we could last for several days without power.

*The secret to avoiding the power cut was the recent purchase of a couple more candle sticks and an oil lamp so lot's of things to play with during a power cut.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As far as I got I could only see TEG's used on low voltage applications - I may be wrong 'cos I've not looked recently. The materials are still quite expensive too - pretty sure I couldn't generate kWs from my log burner :)

Lol! I meant more out of an Interest/Technology pov - It would be interesting to utilise rather than lose the energy from the heat source.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As far as I got I could only see TEG's used on low voltage applications - I may be wrong 'cos I've not looked recently. The materials are still quite expensive too - pretty sure I couldn't generate kWs from my log burner :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have a 30 year old Soviet kettle that produces 36W at 12V while at the same time boiling the water.

It has TEG elements inside, have one of those separate and surprisingly that works too. Their main drawback is that the service life is given as about 1k hours.

Th Soviets used to have oil lamps with TEG wiring around the wick, apparently enough power to lisen to some more propaganda on the radio.

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
I have a small generator in the garage, maybe time to get it working again.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Totally agree with you both grow up the sixties early seventies. Coal fire, cold beds and frosted windows inside. Different times.
Indeed. I’ve just put a big kettle of water on the woodburner and in about half an hour filling a couple of hot water bottles to chuck in our bed.

The only other thing I’ve done in the last couple of days is dig out a pair of insulated Craghopper Kiwi trousers and an old Keela Belay jacket.

Reactions: Van-Wild and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a 30 year old Soviet kettle that produces 36W at 12V while at the same time boiling the water.

It has TEG elements inside, have one of those separate and surprisingly that works too. Their main drawback is that the service life is given as about 1k hours.

Th Soviets used to have oil lamps with TEG wiring around the wick, apparently enough power to lisen to some more propaganda on the radio.

Anychance of seeing some photos of that Kettle please?

Interesting stuff

Reactions: Herman30 and Stew

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Going to invest in a good supply of cup-a-soups.

Dad has given up trying to get the heating to work.

Must find ski socks, down quilt and long johns.

Thats for bed...not for going out

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Anychance of seeing some photos of that Kettle please?

Interesting stuff
I really like what this guy is doing with the thermoelectric plates used for stove fans. Paraffin lamp for a bit of heat, and some electricity produced for gentle lighting, it’s genius and they’re very lovely things. He posted these on BudgetLightForums and there’s a Kickstarter project for the buying of. Total steampunk. :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Indeed. I’ve just put a big kettle of water on the woodburner and in about half an hour filling a couple of hot water bottles to chuck in our bed.

The only other thing I’ve done in the last couple of days is dig out a pair of insulated Craghopper Kiwi trousers and an old Keela Belay jacket.
You've just reminded me that I have a pair of those trousers! Bingo bango bongo! I'll dig em out........

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE