"Winter" Hammocking Experiment (Coccoon)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been happy with my set up for a while now and I've used the under-blanket and quilt combination to sub zero, still conditions with no problems.

Winter_Hammock-3.jpg

The Winter we had last year has given me cause to wonder how it will cope with worse conditions though, so I though this weekend at Spitewinter would be a good safe opportunity to test out a new set up.

Some time back I bought a "Cocoon" from Addo. He had tried it but found it a bit too baggy for his needs. For what I wanted that sounded perfect.

My thought was that it would double the insulation around the hammock without compressing the under-blanket and reducing it's effectiveness.

Winter_Hammock-4.jpg

Here you see the set up. From the inside there is the quilt in the hammock, the under-blanket and then the cocoon on the outside.

The hammock was deliberately slung a bit lower than I usually have it and I had picked an exposed position, on a ridge directly in the wind. The forecast was wet and windy, getting colder for the second night.

Winter_Hammock-2.jpg

Had I been in just the under-blanket I think it would have been a very uncomfortable weekend.

So how did it work out?

Getting in was a straight forward affair, I had rolled and reefed the mozzie net up which formed a ridge line that raised the cocoon up snugly around the under-blanket.

When in the hammock I found this to be a little too close to my face, so I used a mini crab to clip the mozzie net to the bottom of my gear hammock and give me a bit more breathing space.

I didn't zip the cocoon up fully as I prefer the fresh air to the inside of a bag any time, but I was aware that if needed there was that option.

Winter_Hammock-1.jpg

The first night was wet and windy as predicted. The low position put me directly in the wind but just out of the rain.

At one point I did wonder if the tarp was going to hold up to the buffeting it was getting but fortunately the loops of bungee cord that I add to each of my guy lines gave enough flex that no pegs were uprooted and the tarp itself was undamaged by the strain. No small wonder in the conditions that night.

The only adjustment I made during the worst squall, was to reach out and check that the rain was not hitting the bottom of the cocoon and then pulling the windward side a little higher to reduce the breeze across my face. First test passed with flying colours.

The next night was colder but much less windy. Same set up but now, without the wind, I found myself getting rather too warm. This was soon remedied by unzipping the cocoon somewhat and this second night passed comfortably and without event.

Of course, this needs to be tested in more severe situations but I am at least confident that it will cope with normal cold conditions without much adaptation.

Bring on the Winter...

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
Looks like you would be snug as a bug in a rug! Now, methinks one needs to buy a hammock set up as a change to being a "ground dweller!"

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
nice setup !

a good write up and interesting, applicable read.

Cheers

Stu

edit, can i ask what size is the tarp,..?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
shame you couldn't have stayed another night wayland, it was colder this morning than any of the other mornings, there was a real good covering of frost when i woke up.

i do think that i'm slowly coming round to this hammocking idea, i shall have to give it a go at some point.

cheers

stuart

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I know were all different, but I'm wondering what's the average temp you could go down to in a hammock using just the under blanket and sleeping bag inside ? I'm assuming on a hammock the main heat loss is from below, so in very cold conditions would the addition of a good sleeping mat in-between the layers of the hammock be better ?
I'd like to be able to use a hammock on around minus 15 conditions

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I know were all different, but I'm wondering what's the average temp you could go down to in a hammock using just the under blanket and sleeping bag inside ? I'm assuming on a hammock the main heat loss is from below, so in very cold conditions would the addition of a good sleeping mat in-between the layers of the hammock be better ?

I've done -9 and I reckon I could have gone much lower, that was with the Snugpak underblanket and Elite 4 doss bag. Between them they took up half my Sabre 75L but they were worth it for the warmth.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree

I've take mine down to 0 degree so far. 3 season bag + unsponsored UQ. I'm waiting for a calm and cold weekend to test it out sub zero. Should be interesting considering the bag is a 0 degree bag...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Availability and cost of the Cocoon can be found here.

I do have a couple of good winter bags but I find they really lose performance on the underside in a hammock so the quilt saves a bit of weight and more importantly in the situations I use it in, pack size.

My big tarp and hammock set up all fits into a Brit army kit bag with the Cocoon in a small stuff sack besides. It means I can just chuck one or two bags and a couple of poles into the van depending on the conditions. It's mainly used for meets because I like to have a working space for sitting out of the rain whatever the weather.

I've used the under-blanket and quilt comfortably down to -4 that I know of with base +1 layer. I was testing this arrangement for the potential to go much colder.

I think I've talked about my backpacking set up elsewhere but it is very different from the rig you see here.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Ah I didn't realise it was that. Surely it's designed to work on it's own, or is meant to work in conjunction with an UQ? For some reason I thought it was a light windproof full hammock length cocoon that acted as a windbreak layer and helped trap in your warm - much like how a bivy bag can aid the rating of your bag.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've used the under blanket and quilt combo down to about minus 10 in the lakes when out in the canoe, and the cocoon down to the same temperature in Sweden whilst on a ski camping trip. I prefer the UB and quilt combo if I'm not carrying it on my back, but I reckon that anyone camping with Wayland using all three had better get use to him telling them what a warm and comfortable night he had.

Cheers, Michael.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Ah I didn't realise it was that. Surely it's designed to work on it's own, or is meant to work in conjunction with an UQ? For some reason I thought it was a light windproof full hammock length cocoon that acted as a windbreak layer and helped trap in your warm - much like how a bivy bag can aid the rating of your bag.

I like that idea. I might see if I can get someone to make me one in Pertex to the same dimensions as my cocoon.

Cheers, Michael.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I rate the under-blanket and quilt as 3/4 season. Pretty good for most occasions.

Last Winter in this neck of the woods we were down to -15 or so with snow and wind so I'm looking for something 4 season extreme and this combo might do the job.

Yes, for most things it is an overkill but it takes about 2 minutes to add to my normal rig and will sit in the bag except for deep Winter conditions.

It's still lighter than a laavu and stove.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Nice winter setup Gary, could be useful at Middlewood.

Do you think this would also work as a down filled version?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE