Winter camps and snow shelters (picture heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
browsing through the gallery and recent threads it looks like lots of people got out and did some snow shelter building this winter (even here in the UK!)

So let’s see your photos of what you got up to in the snow this winter, show us your winter camps and snow shelters and tell us a little bit about them.

Whist visiting friends this winter I got the opportunity to build some snow shelters:

Our Quinzee:
quinzee.jpg

Which sleeps 2 with plenty of room:
P1010068-1.jpg

And my first Iglukaktok!:
iglunight.jpg

Cutting the blocks:
P1010128.jpg

Getting them in place:
P1010144.jpg

With some expert guidance:
morsiglu.jpg

Almost done:
P1280281.jpg

View of the finished roof from the inside:
P1300307.jpg

A raised platform inside for the bed and to allow the cold air somewhere to pool beneath the sleeping area:
igluinside.jpg

Testing the roof (best to do this after you have finished using it as a shelter, just in case!):
P2010350.jpg

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks, great pics! Very envious!

Just to go off-topic - is that a MSR Titan kettle rigged with a hanging bale? How did you do it? :confused:

Ted W

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice shelters and photos mate, I love the Igloo it was the one snow shelter I never got to build, but always wanted to, on my trips to Norway with the Army.

How long did it take you to build?

Very Impressed!!:You_Rock_

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
tedw said:
Just to go off-topic - is that a MSR Titan kettle rigged with a hanging bale? How did you do it? :confused:

It is a modified Titan kettle, well spotted! Its my favourite cooking receptacle and travels with me everywhere.

There are probably better ways of doing it than the way I did, but I used a high temperature epoxy to attach to short steel tubes to the sides beneath the rim, then ran though these tubes a length of stainless steel wire with spade connectors on the ends.

When not in use as a bail arm the wire pulls though and connects together via the spade connectors under the base of the pot, keeping the bail wire stowed and securing the lid in the process.

Doesn’t make much sense written down, I'll try to get some pictures of it up at some point in the future

themac said:
Awesome pictures, was there another pic where the roof gave in on the guy standing on it ? ;-)

Thank you, no it held solid, the structure is extremely strong by design. There are Inuit accounts that tell of Iglukaktok taking the weight of curious polar bears!

Greg said:
How long did it take you to build?

if you have suitable wind driven snow (we didn’t so we had to pack it and leave it overnight to consolidate) it only takes a few hours to actually build a Iglukaktok

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
FINLAND07_147.jpg

this is the start of the fire, the logs to my left are to get it going and right in the foreground are the all nighters ;)

Finland a week and a half ago... the snow was powder and it was impossible to make any kind of shelter from it.

The locals pile up loads of powder and hose it with water to make theirs :lmao:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Squidders said:
[Finland a week and a half ago... the snow was powder and it was impossible to make any kind of shelter from it.

Lars someone in a ray mears prog. shovelled powder into a pile, came back an hr later and then dug into it. The snow re-crstyalised apparently.

Great photos.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE