Winter Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marshall4771

Forager
Jan 5, 2004
Bingley,West Yorkshire
Can I ask if the nanok and ajungilak bags are good in the dry cold of the artic and maybe not so good in the damp cold that we suffer here in the UK

I'm ready to trade my snugpac softie 6 in for one of the above bags but will be mainly wild camping here in the UK , are they up to it ?

Shaun :confused:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Haven't read all the thread so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but, try www.alpkit.com for cold-weather down bag at remarkable price. I've used them for climbing trips in a bivi bag and it's been great.

An alternative is buy two bags, one slightly large, and use them together. You get the benefit of flexibility (can use bags alone or together), and two bags are warmer than one big one when used together.

Does that make sense?

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I generally feel the cold especially at night, so prefer to use cold weather bags even in the Summer months. If I get a little too warm I can at least climb out and use it as a duvet. I used to use the old 93 pattern artic job, but was a little roomy for me in the colder months. Any general (so called) 4 season winter bag (hood and baffle) usually works well in this country as long as you are protected from draughts (bivvy bag) and have something underneath you. For colder extreams I bought a softie 18 off a mate (he used it out in Afghanistan in winter -30) and says it is ok. If I get too cold I always climb into my merklon liner inside the bag for that extra burn. It is definately a matter of personal taste and you will soon learn what works for you. I was after the Nanok bags (the SF) but they are very hard to obtain at the moment due to the re-sourcing of the pertex issue. If you are looking to extreme weather then you should look into what the people of that area would use and in particular the military.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
marshall4771 said:
Can I ask if the nanok and ajungilak bags are good in the dry cold of the artic and maybe not so good in the damp cold that we suffer here in the UK

I'm ready to trade my snugpac softie 6 in for one of the above bags but will be mainly wild camping here in the UK , are they up to it ?

Shaun :confused:
Forgive me if I'm a little sharp, but those bags are a lot more than "up to it". You will find they very easily outperform their Snugpac "equivalents". The only difference moisture makes is if the bag is down, when wet it will lose most of its insulative properties. However many people use down bags in the UK. And Nanok and Ajungilak have a great range of artificial fibre bags, perhaps even a majority share. I assure you, there are no conditions in the UK for which a bag made by either of those two companies is not suitable.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I would seriously suggest that for temperatures -15 and below you disregard synthetic bags completely and stick with down.

the temperature ratings on many synthetic bags are very dubious (the snugpak temp ratings are appalling) however the nanok ratings are good.

synthetic bags which will be warm at -15> will be very very bulky and heavy when compared with the equivalent down bags.

the qualities of synthetic bags over down in high humidity are of little benefit at -15> any moisture is going to be frozen and so of little concern.

forget any advice about 'gortex' (or other PTFE 'breathable membrane') sleeping bags for temperatures -15 and below, at these temperature gortex stops working and all 'breathablity' is lost

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Well folks ,

The whole sleping bag issue is very imotive as it is so personal, one mans sluggly bag is another mans fridge. The only real way is to borrow a bag to sleep in and see if it suites you.Meets are a good way to do this
My personal experence is that man made fibre bags are fine for me. I once slept 135 straight days tent camping on the snow/ ice/beach in the Anarctic using a hollowfill bag and one of the very first Gortex bivi bags, with temps often well below -20 and up to zero on the coast, with no problem, never got wet even when the tent disintergated in the wind (with no chance to wash the bag either). Other people using the same bag had to use fibre pile liners and some their clothes as well. The down bags did not survive as well with being constantly packed and unpacked and slightly damp all 10 people where in man made fibre bags by the end . I am still using that same bag 21 years later and am still happy with it! And thats one of the reasons the new military bags are made made fibre but thats another story. ;)
The 3kg weight I do not find a problem as I would rather have a good solid bag and save weight esle were .I always use a gortex bivi bag firstly it protects your bag from hoar frost and drips in the morning , Almost as importantly it protects it from stray cups of tea,and other unpleasant things. a must in my eyes. :rolleyes:
This is just my experience so\make of it what you will

Swamp Donkey

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Having read this entire thread from start to finish iit would appear that Snugpak don't have a good reputation with the users of this forum, however i need to replace my once trusty sack and cannot justify the cost of a down filled bag, no matter how good they are, i have spoken to couple of people who own SnugPak bags and have never had a problem and rate them highly, as i need a new bag at reasonible cost i am thinking of getting the Snugpak Sleeper Extreme 3, it would be used with a pad and a bivvi bag and would like to know if you think this would be suitable for 3 season use, with the odd winter trip being thrown in for good measure, it would be used in conjunction with a tent (when i take nipper) and a basha when i go on my ownsome.

Your thoughts please

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I use the SF1 for summer use and it's quite adequate. Hell i sleep in a poncho liner on occasion, and it's got to be warmer than that :) . Buy a snuggie for summer and give it a go in colder with some back up. cant say fairer than that!! You might be alright with it. It's a personal thing....

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
maver said:
Having read this entire thread from start to finish iit would appear that Snugpak don't have a good reputation with the users of this forum, however i need to replace my once trusty sack and cannot justify the cost of a down filled bag, no matter how good they are, i have spoken to couple of people who own SnugPak bags and have never had a problem and rate them highly, as i need a new bag at reasonible cost i am thinking of getting the Snugpak Sleeper Extreme 3, it would be used with a pad and a bivvi bag and would like to know if you think this would be suitable for 3 season use, with the odd winter trip being thrown in for good measure, it would be used in conjunction with a tent (when i take nipper) and a basha when i go on my ownsome.

Your thoughts please
Not buying down does not exclude any manufacturers at all. Snugpac (not a personal thing, a statement of fact) overestimate their temperature ratings so it can seem like their bags are cheaper - the true equivalent is probably about the same price. Anyway. You buy what you want - but don't forget, there are better and cheaper manufacturers of fibre bags out there. Not sure why everyone thinks the Scandinavian manufacturers only use down. A quick look on any website would quickly sort that out :rolleyes:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
arctic hobo said:
Not buying down does not exclude any manufacturers at all. Snugpac (not a personal thing, a statement of fact) overestimate their temperature ratings so it can seem like their bags are cheaper - the true equivalent is probably about the same price. Anyway. You buy what you want - but don't forget, there are better and cheaper manufacturers of fibre bags out there. Not sure why everyone thinks the Scandinavian manufacturers only use down. A quick look on any website would quickly sort that out :rolleyes:

Got any suggestions for an alternative to the Snugpac, im open to options, you came up trumphs with the sleeping mat, hoping you can do the same here, not looking to spend more than £40.00 btw

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
<sharp intake of breath> No offence, but 40 quid is a tall order for any bag, never mind a 3 season.
For 70 you could get the Mountain Hard Wear Etna, which is a superb bag rated to 2 centigrade. I know this sounds very light. But how often do we get below 2 in the UK? Not too often, and with a liner you might even find it warm for 3 season. There's also the Nanok Endurance 0 bag. This is a summer bag for Norway, but in the UK it will cope admirably with 3 season conditons. Most importantly, Nanok ratings are as good if not better (I have frequently used better) than their stated rating. So you may be comfortable down to -5, depending on how warm you sleep. This bag is also 70 quid, and can be nested with the -10 for an extra warm bag. It also has a no glue construction, which means you can machine wash it at 60 degrees, can be zipped into other bags to share warmth, has a boot bucket to protect the bottom if you're keeping your boots on that comes out and can be used to carry water, and has fibre at different angles to eliminate cold spots, etc, etc. In short, I believe that this is one of the best sleeping bag ranges designed - even more so thanks to the comfort being far beyond what is stated.
A cheaper alternative is the Mountain Equipment Sleepwalker. This is also rated to 0. It's not a bad bag - fairly basic, and has much more realistic temperature ratings than perhaps any bag that Snugpak sell. This is 50 quid.
At the end of the day it's quite up to you. Go to the shop, try them out. Since you asked for my advice I'll put in a quick word about Snugpak (shorter than the usual rant anyway!) - you really do need to buy several ratings warmer than you need. Or you will get very cold indeed. It's important - after all people can die. I'm almost hoping (this sounds terrible!) someone does so they are forced to get their act together and stop (warning! rage!) lying to the public (rage over :D ) In addition to this, because they are all about size and weight, the stuffsacks are tiny. Quite apart from jamming the damn thing in there, this crushes the bag to bits, which has a strong adverse effect on the lofting power of the fibre. This means the bag will last a lot less time than one with a half decently sized stuffsack.
Best of luck in your search ;)
Chris

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks Chris,

Snugpak now firmly discounted, looking at the Nanok Endurance 0 on your recommendation, also had a PM from another member on this bag, will check it out fully at lunchtime.

Have also upped my budget slightly

leon-1

Stuart said:
I would seriously suggest that for temperatures -15 and below you disregard synthetic bags completely and stick with down.

the temperature ratings on many synthetic bags are very dubious (the snugpak temp ratings are appalling) however the nanok ratings are good.

synthetic bags which will be warm at -15> will be very very bulky and heavy when compared with the equivalent down bags.

the qualities of synthetic bags over down in high humidity are of little benefit at -15> any moisture is going to be frozen and so of little concern.

forget any advice about 'gortex' (or other PTFE 'breathable membrane') sleeping bags for temperatures -15 and below, at these temperature gortex stops working and all 'breathablity' is lost

Stuart, I have used Goretex in cold temperatures like these with a sleeping bag, the major reason for using it was if you don't the vapour from your breath settles and freezes on your sleeping bag, which could mean a cold soggy frozen down bag :eek:

Someone mentioned them before, but the military bags are pretty good, Ajungilak used to make a pretty good bag called the Tyin which was very warm, so that may be worth having a look for :)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
maver said:
Thanks Chris,

Snugpak now firmly discounted, looking at the Nanok Endurance 0 on your recommendation, also had a PM from another member on this bag, will check it out fully at lunchtime.

Have also upped my budget slightly

I'm getting my Nanok 0oC from out Outdoorcode (http://www.outdoorcode.co.uk/) on Thursday or Friday. Can't wait :) .

Would highly reccomed them as they have kept me updated on all the pertex problems and got it for me at a very resonable price (and they have a special deal going on at the moment as you get a cheap Nanok pillow with your sleeping bag ..... bonza!) in the quickest possible time! :D

For all your info Nanok have now sorted out the pertex sourcing issues and the first shipments should be in on Tuesday or Wednesday.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
leon-1 said:
Stuart, I have used Goretex in cold temperatures like these with a sleeping bag, the major reason for using it was if you don't the vapour from your breath settles and freezes on your sleeping bag, which could mean a cold soggy frozen down bag :eek:

Someone mentioned them before, but the military bags are pretty good, Ajungilak used to make a pretty good bag called the Tyin which was very warm, so that may be worth having a look for :)
I haven't used Goretex in low temperatures (not sure I've got any) but if it works in them it would be extremely useful. If you read the accounts of Scott's polar expeditions he had enormous trouble with frozen vapour. In my own experience it can triple the weight of something absorbent.
Leon I think they do still make it. It's the only Ajungilak bag I have used, and was well designed an had a pretty honest temperature rating. :)

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Hey all, im also looking for a winter-bag right now. Especially since the damn temp just took a proper stage-dive up here :) After googling my little fingers off for eiderdown for trying to make it myself i stumbled upon these guys: http://www.roberts.pl/

Haven't heard of them, but the materials and the specs they show looks pretty impressive. So i wonder, has anyone heard of these sacks? Are they good? Expensive?

Here in Sweden a good winter-bag will cost me between £200-£250 in a normal outdoors shop and that feels like im paying a lot for the brand instead of the quality of the sack.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Are you wanting down only? Because although there are obvious disadvantages to fibre, it is a lot cheaper. :) What sort of rating are you after?
I've not used Roberts bags, the name rings a bell but I'm not sure where I've come across them before. I'll ask around :)

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Well, i plan to use this bag for a loooooong time and in some potentially very cold weather so a extreme rating of -30C is a must. More won't be bad either =)

And what i've gathered from most threads about it Down will be a definate advantage when it comes to weight vs insulation. When we're talking -30C the humidity is almost zero so getting it wet is not a big issue if you are careful and keep it in a dry environment and avoid the moisture from your breath to go into your bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE