Winter Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hi Artic Hobo
Since you have clearly looked at Nanok range alot can you tell me what the real differences are between:

Nanok performance -10 (£120)
Nanok endurance -10 (£100)
Nanok comfort -10 (£80)
:confused:

Cheers
Marts

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Marts said:
Hi Artic Hobo
Since you have clearly looked at Nanok range alot can you tell me what the real differences are between:

Nanok comfort -10 (£80)

Cheers
Marts

you got something wrong there mate, I have myself the endurance and it is -25
I guess its a printing mistake you found.

cheers
Abbe

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
hmm I seem to have been misunderstood :rolleyes:

my comment on ignoring advice to buy gortex sleeping bags was a response to post #2 in this thread

this refers to sleeping bags made with a gortex outer, not gortex bivibags, I dont think i need to explain why this is not a good idea

I extreme cold I often use a gortex bivi bag to keep melt water off my down bag, though it is important to realize that in extremely cold conditions gortex stops being breathable, so there is a temperature threshold where it no longer matters whether your bivibag is PVC or gortex, you will still build up moisture on the inside.

people who spend long periods of time at extremely low temperatures often use vapour barrier liners inside their down bags, vapour barrier liner is a fancy name for 'plastic bag' to stop the moisture from there bodies building up inside there bags day after day and freezing

whilst I am an advocate of down sleeping bags, if I had to recommend a synthetic bag it would probably be a bag from the wiggy company or perhaps a nanok

with sleeping bags you really do get what you pay for, good bags do not come cheap

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Abbe Osram said:
you got something wrong there mate, I have myself the endurance and it is -25
I guess its a printing mistake you found.

cheers
Abbe

As if bag ratings weren't complicated enough :rolleyes:

HERE is where I found them.

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
Marts said:
Hi Artic Hobo
Nanok comfort -10 (£80)
Cheers
Marts

Nanok have three ranges, Comfort, Performance and Endurance and each is aimed at a different use/market.

The Comfort is designed just for comport, weight and packsize are not key factors only comfort. 6 models available 0 to -10 in synthetic and down

Performance is quoted as designed to offer room and comfort but smaller pack size and weight are important 9 models available +10 to -30 in synthetic and -10 to -30 in down

Endurance are meant as functional, long lasting bags for serious use i.e army, nature photographers, bushcrafters ;) etc.. 3 models available 0 to -25

hopefully that answers Abbe Osram Q as to why he has the -25 when Marts only mentioned -10. Obviously pricing is also a difference between the 3 types

Andrew

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
No Abbe the Endurance range as 0 rate, -10 and -25 rate bags.

My zero rated bag is is enough for me for winter here it's cheap and cheerful and as such if it gets recked it can be replaced easily.

But I have been watching this thread with interest as a planning a few winter trips up North over the next while and beginning to feel that disbit a few sneezes (I have a middle allergy) a down bag should be the bag to go for.

Has anyone tried the Nanok range of Down bags yet?

James

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
HuBBa said:
Well, i plan to use this bag for a loooooong time and in some potentially very cold weather so a extreme rating of -30C is a must. More won't be bad either =)

And what i've gathered from most threads about it Down will be a definate advantage when it comes to weight vs insulation. When we're talking -30C the humidity is almost zero so getting it wet is not a big issue if you are careful and keep it in a dry environment and avoid the moisture from your breath to go into your bag.
Have a peek at Rab bags, Mountain Hard Wear bags, and the Nanok Performance range. The first two are designed for mountaineering at altitude, so have big ratings and small weight. Both are in my experience very good manufacturers. The Nanok Performance range are expedition bags - apparently they sell the most to scientists doing polar work. Both come to the same thing. There is a Performance -30, which sounds about right for you, and if it's anything like my old Endurance -25, it'll keep you snuggly 5-10 degrees below that, depending of course on how you treat the bag and how you sleep. Ectomorphs (tall skinny people who are naturally so, like me) sleep warmer than everyone else because of their metabolism, despite having less fat, not sure if this helps you ;)
With Mountain Hard Wear, look at the Expedition Ghost and the Expedition Wraith, they are down and rated -40 and -30 respectively. My experience of these bags is that they are built and designed well, and should last you :)
Rab bags I have less experience of, and you will have more trouble getting a bag for colder conditions. However their build quality is second to none. The Summit 1000 bag is rated to -25.
Of course as it's down all these bags will cost yer. But all three are rather excellent ;)

Marts the three bags are just designed for different purposes. The Comfort bags are family type bags. As their website tells you, the features are geared towards a sort of general use, for example they have zippers designed to cool you down if you're using it in a warm hostel. They are however very good bags - they have the lovely Nanok armholes (best thing for breakfast :D ), and the usual quality and genuine ratings. The Performance bags (I in fact own the Performance -10) are designed with a little more emphasis on the serious traveller. They are smaller, lighter, and have an optimised fill structure to cut weight down where it's not needed and keep it where it is. They are designed basically for hikers who want a fibre bag.
The Endurance range in my opinion are the best. They were actually designed for the Norwegian Special Forces (which is why they are Endurance SF), which is actually true (unlike all the endless "the SAS use these! claims from ebay and the less-honest surplus shops). They are designed for continual hard use. They aren't as small as the Performance range, or as user-friendly as the Comfort range, but they are probably longer lasting and give you real features that matter when the going is tough. They have a boot bucket so you can get in the bag quickly in an emergency without messing about changing your footwear. This can also be used as a water carrier or removed. They have zips on both sides that are more comfortable than the "breakout zip" found on the british bags but functions in a similar way. It also means that the zip baffles are warmer and less intrusive when you're lying in the bag. The fibre is all at angles to itself to avoid cold spots where the thinner parts coincide. You also get the armholes and the ability to zip two bags together. Lastly there is no glue on the fibre which means no glue cold spots and you can machine wash it at 60 which on other bags would melt the glue. In short, versatile, effective, reliable. :D
I swear I am not affiliated with them! Although perhaps I should be, all the advertising I do. :rolleyes:
Cheers
Chris ;)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Stuart said:
hmm I seem to have been misunderstood :rolleyes:

my comment on ignoring advice to buy gortex sleeping bags was a response to post #2 in this thread

this refers to sleeping bags made with a gortex outer, not gortex bivibags, I dont think i need to explain why this is not a good idea

I extreme cold I often use a gortex bivi bag to keep melt water off my down bag, though it is important to realize that in extremely cold conditions gortex stops being breathable, so there is a temperature threshold where it no longer matters whether your bivibag is PVC or gortex, you will still build up moisture on the inside.

people who spend long periods of time at extremely low temperatures often use vapour barrier liners inside their down bags, vapour barrier liner is a fancy name for 'plastic bag' to stop the moisture from there bodies building up inside there bags day after day and freezing

whilst I am an advocate of down sleeping bags, if I had to recommend a synthetic bag it would probably be a bag from the wiggy company or perhaps a nanok

with sleeping bags you really do get what you pay for, good bags do not come cheap
Point taken Stuart :D
The one big issue I have with down is the story Sir Ranulph Fiennes tells of his first expedition on the Jostedalsbreen - the hairiest day they had the ice was melting under the tent, gallons of water were pouring past. Everything was soaked and four members of the team staggered in, nearly dead from exposure... they climbed into their bags together and survived. I wonder what might have happened with down?
I know it's fairly extreme, but what I'm saying is that although they are more expensive, and warmer for their weight they can't cope with everything :)

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Down + Water = bad idea. Though my co-worker just mentioned something they did to dry out their bags in the Army, they flipped it inside out and let any moisture inside freeze, then brushed it off.

but ofcourse, if you are forced to sleep in any sack which is wet, it spells Hypothermia. down or synthetic, they are all cold when wet.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The performance one was the one in particular and from reading your posts you have one. But advice or comments on any of them are helpful. Not having an expereince of very low tempts advice like that found in this thread are helpful.

Do tell. you PM if you want.

James

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Might as well post it, others may be interested after all ;)
I've actually got the fibre -10. I don't actually own any down bags because money forbids such activities :D but I've used the -20 down bag.
It's actually very similar to the fibre one, same structure and design, although of course it's a lot lighter and packs smaller. They don't have the armholes :( but do have a good shape. The Endurance bags aren't available in down unfortunately, so the pricier Performance is your best bet I think. Also consider as I mentioned before Rab and Mountain Hardwear. :)
If you've got any specific questions...

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I think you have answered by questions for now Thanks. It's not an urgent buy and so I have time to shop around and save up. I do like the look of the Endurance arrange (you can't buy them here but the Irish army use them and all reports from there are good) and so I certainly will be replacing my current bag with a 0 temp one when it goes.

Thanks again,
James

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
HuBBa said:
Well, i plan to use this bag for a loooooong time and in some potentially very cold weather so a extreme rating of -30C is a must. More won't be bad either =)

And what i've gathered from most threads about it Down will be a definate advantage when it comes to weight vs insulation. When we're talking -30C the humidity is almost zero so getting it wet is not a big issue if you are careful and keep it in a dry environment and avoid the moisture from your breath to go into your bag.

If you're looking for a hard wearing but adaptable bag then you could go for the Nanok Endurance 0 and -10. These bags can be combined to give a rating of about -30(?). So for the price of 2 bags you get 3:- a summer bag, an autumn (or UK winter!) bag and as these two bags are designed to be combined (the Endurance 0 is slightly larger (200cm) so you can fit the -10 (195cm) inside it without compressing the fibres) to give you a -30 deep winter bag. :cool:

This comes at a price though as both bags combined will be quite bulky! Has anybody actually tried this? It's a shame you can't do this with their down bags.

I suppose if you combine the Nanok bags with their Endurance SF Jacket/Trousers you could have even more options :D !

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
The bulkyness on that sounds like it would be pretty appaling yes.

Also, im fairly bulky myself so 2 bags + me would probably mean i can't breathe :)

Since a good bag is something you prob wont replace every year, i'm prepared to put some money into one. And if it's just way too expensive, i'll make an attempt at building one :) Pretty much building every other gear i use now :)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
HuBBa said:
The bulkyness on that sounds like it would be pretty appaling yes.

Yep it may be. Shouldn't be too much of an issue if you use a pulk? If you don't have one here is a website with a download (pdf = skipulks ) with some useful tips on how to make one.

HuBBa said:
Also, im fairly bulky myself so 2 bags + me would probably mean i can't breathe :)

Thats the advantage of the Nanok Endurance design the internal volume is maintained so there isn't any compresion at all! It would just be like sleeping in a normal bag ........ no shoulder/chest compression involved! :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
EdS said:
looks like Im' the odd one out. I've used Snugpak for several years no problem. Winter camped at the CIC hut in a black on black 3 (-7C rating) no problem.

Mind you I get them even cheaper from the factory.
Thing is, was it -7? Especially in a hut... can't imagine how it could be :confused:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Got my Nanok -0 today from Outdoorcode (great guy is our Andrew, kept me fully informed of the progress of my order including sending me the tracking number for the delivery - highly recommended), put the bag in my bivi bag this afternoon to try it out, got in and wowee, instant sweat - very impressed, just gotta find some time now to get out int he wilds and try it overnight - wonder if i could getaway with taking it on my business trip to Finland next week? :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE